PDA

View Full Version : Magma Pot

04-04-2007, 01:50 PM
does any one use the magma 90 lb pot for bottom pour with 1 orphis? how do you like it and do you wish you had gotten the 40 lb pot instead? those of you that have the 40 lb pot do you wish you had gotten the 90 lb one?

04-04-2007, 04:25 PM
good news, i just ordered magma 90 lb. pot. bad news they said 6 weeks. weighting is bis this year. first a custom barrel, still waiting. then gb mold. and now a new pot. i thought i got away from hury up and waite when i got out of the army. ha

kodiak1
04-04-2007, 06:58 PM
Have the 90 pounder and really like it.
Ken

klw
04-05-2007, 12:36 AM
When I bought my 90 pounder I had an electrician rewire the garage. No problems but to get 90 pounds into the furnace I had to fill it much higher than I expected.

When I bought my 40 pounder it tripped the circuit breakers every time I use it. Sent it back. I think that Magma ultimately came up with a fix for this but... I would have like to use this thing but it just didn't work for me.

Springfield
04-05-2007, 01:49 AM
I have a 40 pounder with the 2 orifice spout. Can't see a need for the 90 pounder for me, I can cast 1200 bullets an hour with 2 LEE 6 gangers and the 40 keeps up. I had to wait a month for my pot too.

warf73
04-05-2007, 03:51 AM
Silly question for the guys that have the Magma pots........ do they drip?

Warf

klw
04-05-2007, 09:12 AM
Silly question for the guys that have the Magma pots........ do they drip?

Warf

YES! With my 90 pounder this is a problem that you have to master and master quickly. I use to keep a ingot of alloy next to the pot that I could stick under the nozzle to help freed up the alloy in the nozzle.

It has been quite a while since I gave this thing away but I seem to remember that there was a metal plate that you could swing up to tough the nozzle to help prevent dripping. Don't remember if that came on the furnace or whether I had it added. When we retired and moved I didn't think that I would be needing this anymore so I gave it to a friend.

Springfield
04-05-2007, 12:45 PM
I've only had my Magma for 3 months but in that time I have put 1000 pounds of lead through it, and no, it doesn't drip. But then my RCBS didn't drip much either, most of the time. My LEE's all dripped. I have found that unlike the RCBS and LEE, my Magma orifice stream is always the same. The others were much more sensitive to lead level, and slowed down as they got crudded up. The Magma seems to be more self cleaning, at least so far. Maybe 'cause it is bigger.

toecutter
04-06-2007, 07:21 AM
I got a master caster (ordered a few weeks ago, and arrived this week).

This one has the 40 lb pot. It does drip, but very very little. It arrived last friday, and didn't get it set up until sunday, but so far I've probably put well over 200lbs of alloy through it. It has been rock solid. I'm still messing around, but when doing quantity casting on it (.38 130gr RNFP) I've been keeping the temp down to about 600, sometimes as low as 550. My thermometer usually reads about 575-650 depending on the setting.

I love the thing so far (been using it every day this week for at least a few hours). But I've been pouring molten lead from the stove into it, both to jump start the process, as well as get my alloy all set up. Usually let it sit for about 20 minutes after pouring the alloy in to let the temperature get to where I set the pot before starting to cast.