PDA

View Full Version : Hollow base boolit for 9mm

historicfirearms
04-09-2012, 02:30 PM
Ive been trying to get cast boolits to run in my High Power without much luck. Yes, I've read all the stickies. My bore slugs .3575. I have tried .358 and .359 dia boolits and expanded with a Lyman M die but the chamber is just too tight to feed them reliably. I'm now thinking maybe a hollow base boolit sized to .356 might chamber and hopefully obturate to seal the bore so I dont get leading. Anyone tried hollowbase boolits in a 9mm or know of a mold that may work? I'd love a 125 grain rnfp with hollow base.

2ndAmendmentNut
04-09-2012, 02:44 PM
I have heard stories about people running HB wadcutters hot in their 38s and having the base tear off resulting in a lead doughnut stuck in the barrel. Having not tried a HB in a 9mm I would speculate that the base coming off could be a potential problem.

MT Gianni
04-10-2012, 08:06 PM
With the pressure of the 9 I foresee problems with a hb skirt.

shooting on a shoestring
04-10-2012, 08:19 PM
How about ream your chamber out? Maybe even a lap could get you a couple of thousandths. I'd spin the barrel, hold the lap still with pressure towards the outside.

MtGun44
04-11-2012, 03:40 PM
Are you taper crimping?

Feeding unreliability is very, very often lack of or inadequate taper crimp. Use your
dismounted barrel as a gage. Your loaded rounds should drop in, flush with the hood
with no more than 1 lb fingertip pressure.

Set LOA to make sure the boolit isn't jamming into the rifling, then add TC to get the
loaded round to seat fully.

Bill

Shiloh
04-11-2012, 07:02 PM
I have heard stories about people running HB wadcutters hot in their 38s and having the base tear off resulting in a lead doughnut stuck in the barrel. Having not tried a HB in a 9mm I would speculate that the base coming off could be a potential problem.

BIG potential problem.

Leftover skirt in the barrel is a disaster.Especially if found with the next round.
They are for low pressure/velocity target loads in the .38.

Shiloh

ipijohn
04-12-2012, 09:27 AM
I have shot many 1000's of Berry's hollow base 9 MM without any problems. They are soft lead copper plated. Look at the pictures on their site. The hollow leaves a substantial wall thickness.