PDA

View Full Version : Does water quenching cause frosting to be worse?

Arkansas Paul
04-09-2012, 11:06 AM
I know that the main cause of frosting is a very hot mold, but does quenching add to it? I'm using a Lee aluminum mold and am getting quiet a bit of frosting on my boolits. It hasn't effected anything really, they shoot just fine. As long as it's given me a good sharp base, I've been loading them up. Will this hurt anything?

Sorry for the basic questions, I'm a noob here with the casting stuff. Already addicted though. I turned two buckets of wheelweights into ingots in a matter of a couple of weeks already.

runfiverun
04-09-2012, 11:37 AM
no.
it gives the boolit a grey galvanized look. [from the antimony]
frosting is more white and usually has the white on the rounded edges.
i don't strive for frosting and usually take steps to avoid it, the grey color is cool with me though.

Love Life
04-09-2012, 11:46 AM
I only shoot frosty boolits in the cold!!

All joking aside I have noticed no major accuracy difference when shooting pistols and plinking.

geargnasher
04-09-2012, 12:19 PM
I never noticed that water-quenching made any difference to the finish, and I air-cool a lot of them in a water-quench session to keep an eye on potential problems. Nothing like having 40 lbs of boolits to recycle because you didn't notice the speck of lead on the block face that made them .002" oversized on the nose.

Gear

C.F.Plinker
04-09-2012, 06:06 PM
Dennis Marshall looked at this in his article in NRA Cast Bullets book. Using his alloy for all of the tests he was at 18.7 BHN when he air cooled them, 18.1 when he water dropped shiny bullets, 33.2 when he water dropped frosty bullets from a Lee mold and 31 when he water dropped frosty bullets from a Lyman mold. The hardness was measured 5-8 days after casting.

mooman76
04-09-2012, 07:51 PM
I did half and half one time and they actually seemed to be less frosted than the air cooled. I don't do it allot so there could be some other factors at play.

hydraulic
04-09-2012, 09:37 PM
I find that frosted bullets are filled out better with sharper edges. If you don't like the look of them, just wipe them off with a rag, the bullet will be shiny.