PDA

View Full Version : "War Horse".........

3006guns
04-08-2012, 05:48 PM
My wife suprised me with the Blue Ray edition of this movie today. I just finished watching it and I'm here to tell you it's a winner. Good healthy entertainment with a killer storyline/plot. The WWI battlefield scenes are just plain scary accurate, right down to the barbed wire pickets.

Make it a point to see it sometime.:mrgreen:

ph4570
04-08-2012, 06:25 PM
I got it on DVD for my birthday last week. Our family enjoyed it.

Moonie
04-09-2012, 08:58 AM
My 13 year old daughter wanted to rent it over the weekend, it is sitting on the coffee table unwatched. Plan was to watch it with her today since she is out of school for the week.

Glad to hear it is that good, I look forward to it.

rockrat
04-09-2012, 09:19 AM
Wife rented it this weekend along with a few others. Figured I would be a good husband and watch one of "her" movies with her, so I put in "War Horse".

Pretty good movie

She watched her "chick flicks" and I watched "Real Steel", then watched the Masters golf tournament!! Good weekend!!

Simmonds
04-09-2012, 11:04 AM
Yes, this was a really good movie...it can be heart breaking though seeing how horses were used in wars of the past.

jlm223
04-09-2012, 05:25 PM
I have been wanting to see it, can't wait.

richhodg66
04-09-2012, 05:32 PM
We saw it when it came out, very good movie. Proves Hollywood can still turn out decent entertainment when they want to.

Hardcast416taylor
04-09-2012, 09:09 PM
Any soft heated lovers of horses should pass this flic by due to the "movie realism" on the treatment of horses in WW 1. My daughter wouldn`t watch any further of the movie after the ill fated English attack on the German camp.Robert

gew98
04-09-2012, 10:27 PM
I took the wife and my boy to see it a month or two ago when it was in the theater. It had a good costume department as uniforms and equipment were darn good. But the plot line and hollyweird action scenes and of course the weird lack of REAL sound of great war chatter were across the board unimpressing. I won't buy the DVD.

gew98
04-09-2012, 10:31 PM
Any soft heated lovers of horses should pass this flic by due to the "movie realism" on the treatment of horses in WW 1. My daughter wouldn`t watch any further of the movie after the ill fated English attack on the German camp.Robert

The "german camp" attack was one of those flamboyant writer scenes by writers with zero lack of knowledge of the great war . I personally could care less for tender hearted animal lover's thoughts as war is war and in that conflict horses were the engines and yes they suffered accordingly like their human conterparts. "Das ist Kreig".

waksupi
04-10-2012, 01:25 AM
I read a lot of WW1 era books, and in every one, it is made clear how much the horses and mules were loved and respected by the soldiers. They were their lifeline to ammunition, food and water. Wounded animals were rounded up, and doctored with as much care as any soldier was.

pipehand
04-11-2012, 07:40 AM
On my mantle is a restored picture of my great grandfather taken before heading to the eastern front. He was a short fellow, the bayonet on his Gew98 towered over his pickle-spear helmet.
Opapa was a butcher in his hometown in Bavaria. When one of the war horses went down, he was called to butcher the animal, and the soldiers had fresh meat. During the war he lost an eye in battle. Recovered at home, married, made babies, emigrated to the states with Omama and two daughters. Worked as a meatcutter in NYC.
Fast forward to WW II. News says that Hitlers forces invading Russia. In the winter. Opapa says "He's (Hitler) lost it right there." Omama says "Why's that Pappa?" Response: "You can't eat a tank."
Haven't had time to see a movie in theaters, but I do want to get the DVD.

Stick_man
04-14-2012, 11:24 AM
Watched it last night for the first time. I enjoyed it. There are parts of it you can pick apart as not very realistic or whatever, but that just detracts from the enjoyment factor. I'll be watching it again.

swheeler
04-15-2012, 02:30 PM
I watched it lastnight, good movie and I enjoyed it much.

429421Cowboy
04-15-2012, 06:02 PM
Made dinner with the girlperson friday night then sat down and watched it. Not as good as my brothers told me it would be, but it was pretty realistic. I've seen and cut a couple horses out of barb wire so that part made me cringe a little. All in all we thought it was a pretty good movie.

zardoz
04-15-2012, 09:53 PM
Rented it on BluRay Friday evening, and guess what conked out on Friday 13th? My cheapo BluRay player gave up the ghost before I could watch one second.

So, Saturday, made a little trip to Wally World, and got a Sony this time, and not the el cheapo Visio. The Sony is a bit better player I believe.

Anyway, great movie. Spielberg quality once again. Reminded me of the epics from the 50' and 60's.

One thing, is when the English were charging with swords on the German camp, I kept saying to myself, "But, but, but......the Germans had Maxims (MG08) I thought? Where are they? This is not good." Anyway, well worth the extra money for the BluRay rental.