PDA

View Full Version : Case being damaged

jimwill48
04-08-2012, 08:28 AM
A little issue I've run into recently. When seating bullets in straight sided cases - .32 S&WL/H&R Mag, .38/.357, .44 Spl. The side of the case is being damaged. It looks like the seating die is skinning one side of the case. This has just started happening and the only thing I can come up with is that my old Lee Challenger O press has been sprung. Anyone one else had this issue?

shooting on a shoestring
04-08-2012, 09:09 AM
I'd check for crud in the shell holder, ram, die threads and press threads. Then look to see if the skinning is always in the same spot or varies with dies or caliber.

I think if you sprung an "O" press, it would have to be a very memorable event.

runfiverun
04-08-2012, 12:26 PM
i doubt it's the frame, the linkages might be worn/stretched/cracked, or a pin is worn.
but i doubt the frame itself is sprung.
check the amount of case mouth flair.

williamwaco
04-08-2012, 01:15 PM
i doubt it's the frame, the linkages might be worn/stretched/cracked, or a pin is worn.
but i doubt the frame itself is sprung.
check the amount of case mouth flair.

I bet this is the cause. A sharp edge on the entry to the die.

Dark Helmet
04-08-2012, 01:47 PM
I have/had trouble with the spring that holds the shell holder in place causing the shellholder to be slightly cocked. Drove me nuts till I figured if out. Was awful aggravating with 44 mag. Hold the case over a little as it enters the die to see if it will enter straight. Replace and/or modify the spring if that is your problem.

1Shirt
04-14-2012, 02:22 PM
Crud in the shell holder is a probable. Pipe cleaners work well at cleaning them out. Pipe cleaners work well for a number of things on a reloading bench, and in a range box.
1Shirt!