PDA

View Full Version : Never Forget

Blacksmith
04-08-2012, 03:49 AM
Monday April 9th is the 70th Anniversery of the surrender of the U.S. and Filipino forces on the Bataan Penninsula.

It was on April 9, 1942, four months after the attack on Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, that U.S. forces on the Bataan peninsula surrendered to the Japanese invaders. The troops were soon forced to walk 55 miles to prison camps in what became known as the Bataan Death March.

More U.S. and Filipino forces held out until May 6 on Corregidor Island when they, too, surrendered.

Of the more 1,800 New Mexico National Guardsmen deployed to the Philippines late in 1941, 800 died in captivity by the time the war ended in August 1945, and more died from disease and injuries after liberation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bataan_Death_March

x101airborne
04-08-2012, 09:52 AM
Hmmm... Didn't know that. Thanks!

1Shirt
04-08-2012, 12:33 PM
One of my former AF First Sgt's, was a survivor of the Bataan march. Also knew a Gunny when I was a young Marine that also made the march. It is good to remember that these things went on in the past, and continue in future wars. AND yet, we are and have been fighting P.C. wars since WWII. The saying when I was a young troop was that "young men fight old men's wars", and guess that is true. Only today more so then ever in my opinion, the "old men" are in congress and the administration. It troubles me that so few in congress and the administration have never worn the uniform of their country. It troubles me even more that there are so many lawyers and those of so calles higher education levels in congress. Most of all, it troubles me that so many laws are being passed, and so few if any are being repealed. Every time they pass a law, we loose freedoms.
1Shirt!