PDA

View Full Version : Another NewBee Question

Whitespider
04-03-2007, 08:58 PM
OK, I didn’t get any WW’s melted last weekend but did get the stove wired up in the garage. I got some of my WW’s sorted, found none that looked like zinc.
Tried to raid the wife’s kitchen for a muffin pan and got caught. Drove to town to buy something to cast ingots. Found out that the wife pays way too much for new bake ware (now I know why she was so mad about me trying to run off with her muffin pan).
Next stop was the local thrift / second hand store, all I found is the “non-stick” type of muffin and loaf pans.
Can the “non-stick” pans be used for ingots or will the coating come off and mess up my alloy?
Thanks

Halfbreed
04-03-2007, 09:13 PM
Whitespider hello, The non stick pans can be used without messing up the alloy, but the lead will stick badly unless the cavities are either sprayed with a drop out or smoked. I have used both midway mold release and soot from a large candle with real good success.
If you live in a high humidity area the tins will get a good coat of surface rust on them, this is a good release too.
I use muffin tins like this and the ingots come out right at 3.5 pounds. When they cool off, I toss them in a 5 gal. bucket.
John

Ricochet
04-03-2007, 10:02 PM
I bought cast iron corn stick moulds. They work great! The long skinny corn-shaped ingots fit in my pot better than round muffins do.

MT Gianni
04-03-2007, 10:57 PM
I bought cast iron corn stick moulds. They work great! The long skinny corn-shaped ingots fit in my pot better than round muffins do.

$7.99 at the Sportsman Warehouse, Missoula MT. No sales tax. Gianni

Shiloh
04-03-2007, 11:16 PM

Isn't that special!!

Actually its a great idea. You can slide the ingots right in. I'll look into that next time I go to Mills Fleet Farm. They have those.

Shiloh

DLCTEX
04-04-2007, 07:25 AM
I paid about $5 for mine at Walls discount. Dale