PDA

View Full Version : Lead splash in my eye...

shooting on a shoestring
04-07-2012, 11:25 PM
...glasses! I often thank the Lord for blessing me with bad eyesight. Been wearing glasses since before 1st grade. I've lost count of the times they've kept me injury free growing up in the family machine shop, shooting, working in chem plants and refineries, riding a motorbike and tonight casting.

It was a rogue lead droplet that lept out of the pot as I let some excess sprue material run off the end of the mould. I saw it jump like a flea and faster than the second syllabel of "Gotcha" there was a lead splatter about 30 caliber on the center of my right lense. I calmly set the mould down, placed the ladel in the pot, stepped back and pealed the lead daisy off my lense. It melted the surface under it. The replacement safety lense will cost me a few dollars, but less than the emergency room, won't be any lasting scarred eyes and not a bit of pain.

Folks, if you spend enough time in front of a lead pot, you will get some on you. Be ready for it.

Oreo
04-07-2012, 11:30 PM
Wise words. Damn near got myself the other day while cooking some bermine down.

wallenba
04-07-2012, 11:31 PM
Money well spent! Glad you are OK. I often sit down and cast more than a few before I realize I don't have mine on. I better post a warning on my station to myself.

kenyerian
04-07-2012, 11:37 PM
that's a good lesson for all of us. Safety glasses are a must.

nicholst55
04-07-2012, 11:39 PM
I was blessed/cursed with the same situation; glasses in Kindergarten. I wear either safety glasses, goggles, or a face shield over them when I'm handling anything more dangerous than a piece of paper. I encourage everyone else to, as well.

I felt pretty safe with regular eyeglasses until the day that a felt polishing bob came off the mandrel in my Dremel and struck me in the eye. Fortunately I wasn't injured, but that incident made a believer out of me!

mr.jake
04-07-2012, 11:51 PM
I was blessed/cursed with the same situation; glasses in Kindergarten. I wear either safety glasses, goggles, or a face shield over them when I'm handling anything more dangerous than a piece of paper. I encourage everyone else to, as well.

I felt pretty safe with regular eyeglasses until the day that a felt polishing bob came off the mandrel in my Dremel and struck me in the eye. Fortunately I wasn't injured, but that incident made a believer out of me!

I know that feeling once i was hit with a 3M buffing wheel thing and i couldnt open my eye for about 4 hours. Its fine now but ive worn safety glasses sense.

robroy
04-08-2012, 12:46 PM
If your side dhields aren't permenently attached then make sure they're on. Keep those eyes healthy.

9-toes
04-08-2012, 12:55 PM
I'm gonna keep to the full face shield. I ain't been getting any prettier with age - no reason the hasten the decline.

GaryN
04-08-2012, 05:01 PM
I always wear safety glasses when casting. It only takes once. I have seen droplets fly around occasionally. It's just too easy to save your eyes so why not wear them.

bbqncigars
04-08-2012, 06:09 PM
I wear my 'cheater' (small reading glasses built in) safety glasses whenever I'm doing anything in my shop. Turning, grinding, drilling, reloading, casting etc. Eyewear is cheap and replaceable, eyes aren't.

warpspeed
04-08-2012, 06:36 PM
I started out using a face shield when I was about 9 and casting lead soldiers. 35 years later, it is a habit I still keep. I have lost count how many times it has kept me from getting burned.

Gloves & a face shield = :)

Moonman
04-08-2012, 07:13 PM
Safety First is a MUST when dealing with molten metal.

SlowSmokeN
04-08-2012, 09:23 PM
I always wear safety glasses when casting. It only takes once. I have seen droplets fly around occasionally. It's just too easy to save your eyes so why not wear them.

It is all fun and games until you loose an eye. glasses are cheap and to easy to use. Better be safe than sorry.

keebo52
04-08-2012, 09:33 PM
I wear prescription glasses so its a full face shield for me.

CGT80
04-10-2012, 03:36 PM
I wear prescription glasses so its a full face shield for me.

Me too. I got a few of those little droplets on my face shield the other night. I was sure glad it didn't get on my glasses or even worse, my eyes. I tried contacts once and couldn't stand trying to get them on and off my eyes. I also figure it is safer to always have some polycarbonate covering the majority of my eyes, and with transitions lenses, I always have some sun protection with me as well. A full face shield is better for protection than just safety glasses anyways.

Happy casting!!!

MBTcustom
04-10-2012, 03:56 PM
I have good eyesight, but ever since taking a BB in the eye as an adolescent, I where glasses all the time. I'm also a machinist by trade, and I where safety glasses all day long. Take it from me, you need safety glasses!
my favorite ones are made by winchester and they sell them in walmart for $6.50.
Why not?
Add to this the fact that my brother just stabbed his left eye while throwing knives this last year. Several eye surgeries and a military career down the drain because it was too much trouble/not cool/too cumbersome to slip on a streamlined pair of $6 safety glasses.
He even had a hard time getting a drivers license because he has no depth perception. He crashes into people in the store who approach suddenly from the left side. I was the one who bought him the knife, and drove him to the doctors office. It tears me up inside thinking about how his life has been changed by one unlucky slip while doing a routine activity. He was 17 at the time.
I hope everybody reads this and takes it to heart.
Not wearing safety glasses while working with anything outside or in the shop is just plain stupid.

40Super
04-10-2012, 04:20 PM
I wear them all day at work around the mills and lathes,at home I've "forgotten" a few times when first starting out. Last week was one of them times and I had a little speck droplet from opening the sprue above the pot and that speck landed on the side of my nose. Woke me up and reminded me quickly.

Bullet Caster
04-10-2012, 07:53 PM
This ain't boolit related nor casting related, but I personally know how important safety glasses are. I used to build Ford starters and while free running a starter I often would use a grinding stick to smooth the commutator down so the brushes would seat on the armature. Many times I had to go to the doctor and have steel, copper, brass, etc. taken out of my eyes. The company wouldn't furnish us with safety glasses so this problem persisted until I finally got enough and quit. I guess I should have provided me with a pair to save my eyes. BC

Sonnypie
04-10-2012, 08:03 PM
"I couldn't see what all the fuss was about wearing Safety Glasses,
Then it hit me."

shooting on a shoestring
04-10-2012, 08:12 PM
Ordered the lense today. $165. I'll not complain a bit. No telling how many hours of casting I've gotten w/o incident. I've still got my vision and I'll get over the money. No pain, no missed work. Love my glasses.

LatheRunner
04-10-2012, 08:15 PM
I wear prescription safety glasses all day at work. They are the first tool I pick up when smelting or casting. Always wear some kind of eye protection. You can't cast boolits if you can't see.

kappy
04-10-2012, 08:18 PM
You know... I never really thought about it! I wear glasses while shooting, but haven't worn them while casting. I've had drops hit my hand, arm, etc. I even had a very brief visit from the tinsel fairy (almost all of it went back into the pot), but I'd never really considered getting hit in the eye.

Thanks for the post.

hillbillyjoe
04-11-2012, 07:37 AM
s o a s... +1 on the cost of a lens as compared to the cost of eye surgery. Didn't really think too much about splatters, till TBH reminded me how good our patio USED to look before I started on this new hobby. Guess I'm banished to the yard now, probably lube making on the kitchen stove is out to, ha ha.