PDA

View Full Version : Ever heard of wiping Tin?

Del-Ray
04-07-2012, 07:36 PM
So, in my search of every plumbing shop in Detroit I found a place that had 2 pounds of "something".

It had been on his shelves for years and he didn't know exactly what it was, but thought it was "wiping Tin".

I asked if he meant it was 50/50 and he told me no. That it was way higher then 50 percent Tin.

Well I just melted it in my 5 pound hot pot. There was no dross, aside from the little bit of light oxidation on the outside of the bars. With the last bit of solid melting the temp in the pot was 450 degrees F.

I stirred the pot, and nothing came up. When I poured it in my ingot mold nothing stuck to the pot, and it took WAY longer for the metal to solidify.

I had a list of temps for tin/lead mixes, and everything seems to point to 100 percent Tin.

The finished bars took a few smacks to release from the molds. I think that's because my LEE molds are a bit rough, and these bars PERFECTLY molded to the interior. Also, they hardened to a mottled frosted look. I tried to get the metal out quick, but if this is Tin, I assume I still heated it up more then needed.

What do you guys think?

Also, great site! I spent 6 hours on my midnight shift reading posts on my kindle. I've cast entirely to many rounds for my smoke pole, but never thought of casting for my colt. With the addition of 40 pounds free pure lead from iron pipe joints, to the 35 pounds of Lino I bought from ROTO, I think I'm set for at least a week.

And no tinsel fairy while melting all that scrap lead either!

Thanks again! If you're ever in Detroit, DUCK!

GLL
04-07-2012, 07:49 PM
Run a cooling test and graph temp vs. time. Pure tin will produce a distinct eutectic "flat" in the graph at a 449 degrees F. A long bar of tin will also make a "cracking" sound as you bend it back and forth.

Jerry

Del-Ray
04-07-2012, 08:08 PM
I'll try that the next time I melt it. Though I wonder if that's why it seemed to take so long for solidification to take so long on the top. With my lead it's only several seconds once it starts, this took way longer. And it solidified with no visible shrinkage on top.

Thanks for the help.

USSR
04-07-2012, 08:57 PM
Wiping solder is 68% lead and 32% tin.

Don