PDA

View Full Version : Perversion

Ricochet
04-03-2007, 07:21 PM
I've come to rather like the salty, low-sulfur smell and taste of Pyrodex smoke.

I haven't had a good hit of real blackpowder smoke in a long while.

It's kind of like my father-in-law, whose wife wouldn't let him have Coke. He got to liking TAB. He had a hard time when TAB got hard to find.

Hunter
04-03-2007, 11:48 PM
I am partial to the smell of Unique and IMR 4895 myself.

Ricochet
04-04-2007, 12:03 AM
I like the smell of IMR and Ball powders. Unique's not that great smelling to me. But it works fine!

In the smokeless realm, nothing smells beter than the common .22 rimfires. In the U.S., they're generally loaded with Alliant powders similar to Red Dot.

bart55
04-04-2007, 12:10 AM
Got to thinking of one of my favorite smells in the world and that is red dot powder in the crisp fall air . reminds me of being a 12 yr old hunting rabbits with my dad .Lov e the smell of 22 's also but actually I love any and all burning powder. from goex to 860

Ohio Rusty
04-04-2007, 01:19 AM
I love the smell of freshly shot shotgun shells. I can't ever think of a time that when shooting sheet or hunting pheasants, that I didn't pick up a freshly expended case and was for a moment ... absorbed in it's aroma. Now THAT is aromatherapy for the outdoorsman ....
Ohio Rusty

dubber123
04-04-2007, 02:07 AM
You guys need a snort of Aguila .22's, that will cure your rimfire addiction, that stuff stinks!

Jim
04-04-2007, 05:49 AM
Dubber,
I'm with the rest of these guys. I like the smell. I ain't lookin to get cured!

dubber123
04-04-2007, 07:28 AM
Jim, I like the smell of most of it, (especially the IMR stuff), but those AGUILA .22's would knock the flies off a garbage truck! Yuck.

quack1
04-04-2007, 07:43 AM
Paper shotgun shells smell the best to me, much better than plastic. They even seem to smell better on a damp day. Guess it reminds me of when I started duck hunting and paper shells were just starting to get replaced with plastic. Although, I sure didn't like the way they would swell up and be hard to chamber on rainy days.
I still have a bunch of paper emptys and always load a few to use each dove season, just so I can sniff them.

1Shirt
04-04-2007, 08:51 AM
Sniffing empty cases or shotgun shells is legal. Not like some of the stuff that is being sniffed out there in the land of the great unwashed today!
1Shirt!:coffee:

piwo
04-04-2007, 09:32 AM
Timely thread.:-D I am partial to old fashion Black Powder, and not as fond of Pyrodex, but probably because I’m not as fond of Pyrodex and how it performs in my flint.:( I've shot a number of times this year, mostly with bad weather when I was either alone, or virtually alone on the 20 bench range I shoot on. Then last time I shot it was crowded, and everyone else firing center fire rifles.

Man, it was a re-awakening. When I got home and my spouse asked me how it went, I told her "just OK... but the smell was wonderful"! I forgot how good smokless powder can be....:drinks:

Shepherd2
04-04-2007, 01:56 PM
I love the smell of .22 rimfires. I was shooting some last week and the aroma got me to thinking about shooting as a kid. When I'd find out that we were going to my grandparents farm I start scrounging money for a box of .22 shorts. As soon as we got there and after I'd said hello I change into my old clothes and head over the hill to borrow my uncles Remington bolt action .22. I'd wander around until it was time to eat. After the meal I'd be gone again. Now a box of .22s is gone in nothing flat but back them I had to use great willpower to make them last.

wiljen
04-04-2007, 02:41 PM
Don't forget Hoppes #9. I know there are better cleaners on the market these days but I still buy it partially because the smell takes me back to being a kid and Granddad showing me how to clean a rifle after shooting it.

felix
04-04-2007, 02:56 PM
Will, the inclusion of "banana oil" will sweeten up any thing like Ed's Red. Make your own Hoppy's with amylacetate:

http://environmentalchemistry.com/yogi/chemicals/cn/n-Amyl%A0Acetate.html

jim4065
04-04-2007, 03:07 PM
Shotgun shells, yes. Particularly BP reloads. Also, how about taking a hit of the smoke from a pistol barrel after running it dry? Heaven.

It will get you some sideways looks at the range - but anyone who thinks it's weird just ain't a shooter. :twisted:

shooter2
04-04-2007, 03:08 PM
Boy, you guys are far gone. What about fresh baked bread, coffee first thing in the morning or bacon frying over an open fire. Or finally, lest you all have forgotten, Chanel #5 on a leggy blond...

Ricochet
04-04-2007, 04:17 PM
Or finally, lest you all have forgotten, Chanel #5 on a leggy blond...
Huh?

Oh yeah, I guess I have seen leggy blondes on Channel 5.

beemer
04-04-2007, 04:46 PM
Dad shot a load of S&B buckshot. He looked at me with a sour expression and said " What are they using for wads, goat hair." Priceless moment.

It's hard to beat Goex on a crisp fall day.

beemer

Uncle R.
04-04-2007, 04:53 PM
Boy, you guys are far gone. ...Or finally, lest you all have forgotten, Chanel #5 on a leggy blond...

Yeah, yeah - but I can grab a freshly fired shotshell, hold it right up to my nose and take a big deep whiff WITHOUT getting my face slapped 'till my ears ring...
:-D
Uncle R.

Bigjohn
04-04-2007, 06:16 PM
I have been known to fire a charge of Goex BP and take in a deep breath before the smoke disappears.
I am not as enthusiastic after a firing my S&W with UNIQUE loads; it's just as smokey.

I would definitely pay good money to see a member of this thread grab a leggy blonde and take a deep breath of her perfume after being inticed as she walked passed.:twisted: I could post ya bail!:-D :-D

:drinks:
John

Gun Junkie
04-04-2007, 07:11 PM
The smell of 2400 is the best! WW296 isn't far behind. Besides smelling these two is healthy! It's the nitroglycerin content.....I wonder if burnt powder smells of residuals of nitroglycerin?

I've always said if a woman wore 2400, she'd be the irresistable.

leftiye
04-04-2007, 07:19 PM
Boy, you guys are far gone. What about fresh baked bread, coffee first thing in the morning or bacon frying over an open fire. Or finally, lest you all have forgotten, Chanel #5 on a leggy blond...

Well, yah, there some "normal" thangs that ain't too shabby too!

shooting on a shoestring
04-04-2007, 07:58 PM
I overheard Dad once complain to Mom "He won't date 'em less they put a dab of Hoppe's #9 behind thier ear."

Truth is, that'll still get my attention.

monadnock#5
04-04-2007, 08:16 PM
You guys have got to stop BEFORE I end up smashing rolled caps between two rocks just for the aromatic smoke.

Ken

hydraulic
04-04-2007, 09:42 PM
Old paper shells remind me of standing in the back of Dad's 37 Chevy, leaning over the front seat looking at the old blue Peter's 12 gauge box with the mallards on the lid, and smelling the powder smoke after Uncle Guy had arkansawed another Nebraska ringneck with his Model 12.

9.3X62AL
04-04-2007, 09:48 PM
Fresh baked bread, new-fired paper shotshells, The Holy Black. I'll bet the stealth maggots looking on from Handgun Control Inc. are really scratching their heads now. The poor lifeless killjoys. Leggy blondes wearing Chanel #5 or Giorgio Red in some parts of California WOULD NOT interest me in the least.

Baron von Trollwhack
04-04-2007, 10:39 PM
Some would say it was the LEAD in the POT that got them. Others the LEAD in the priming. Still others, the LEAD in the scrounging. But TRULY it was all of that and more too.

azcoyhunter
04-07-2007, 09:46 PM
For me it is

On a cold a frosty morning

20 shots out of my 7mm Mauser leaning over my hood, with IMR 3031.

I can still warm my hands on the barell, and smell the smoke.

WOW

Clint

No_1
04-07-2007, 10:05 PM
The grin on my daughter's face right after she burns through another brick of .22's on a single day at the range.

Robert

trk
04-07-2007, 10:08 PM
And no one quoted, "Ahhh, the smell of Napalm in the monring"?

For me it's the smell of 155mm 's or the smell of sulpher from washing down my 4.55" blackpowder mortar!

jim4065
04-07-2007, 10:20 PM
trk

Interesting that you've got a mortar. I once had a plan for a Coehorn beer can launcher but lost it - then tried to do the same thing with flammable gas, like a Barbie launcher. I just wanted 'em to get enough elevation to give me time to grab my shotgun and dag-blag 'em, to paraphrase Pogo.

Any ideas would sure help - I've got lots of BP as propellant. :drinks:

Jim

lurch
04-08-2007, 12:07 AM
I'll have to vote for the IMR stick stuff. The ball types are OK but a little acrid compared to good ol' 3031. Sometimes I wish a 223 would hold more of it. Get a really good whiff when shooting '06.

Ricochet
04-08-2007, 08:26 AM
Jim, what kind of ballistic coefficient does a Barbie have?

How about Ken and Skipper?

leftiye
04-08-2007, 02:27 PM
Oh,, My Stars,, All You Preverts!!

TDB9901
04-08-2007, 04:53 PM
Yup!!! Dirty Old Men, for the most part...........

Just what IS Barbie's BC??????

leftiye
04-08-2007, 05:25 PM
Yup!!! Dirty Old Men, for the most part...........

Just what IS Barbie's BC??????

Depends which part goes first. Just like any projectile. TD, a cat after my own likings!

TDB9901
04-08-2007, 05:51 PM
A true MAN's cat.....

I would suppose that her Sectional Density would have to be taken into account also, being blonde and all................:mrgreen:

jim4065
04-08-2007, 06:13 PM
Gotta be sure to grease the groove(s).........:twisted:

lurch
04-09-2007, 06:54 PM
Don't know about the BC, but I bet she flies head first....kind of top heavy.

TDB9901
04-09-2007, 07:35 PM
This thread was began on the topic of scent, before it got steered in this latest perverse direction....... Maybe I had ought to get it steered back that way, WITHOUT getting myself banned from the forum for life,..................................

I have always enjoyed the smell of 12 ga. shells in the crisp Nov. morning air in the middle of a stubble field.....and when I was a kid I would walk around with .22 shells stuck in my nose after Grandpa and I got finished shooting..............gets in the blood.

There, did it without getting in trouble....................(I hope).