PDA

View Full Version : Bullet bulge

Sasquatch-1
04-07-2012, 03:41 PM
Went to the range yesterday and took my 357 Black Hawk. I had two boxes of reloads with me that were carring a 158 grn cast. When I went to load them almost an entire box would not fit in the cylinder. I noticed a litlle bulge on the side that looked like the bullet was too big. I know I sixed them because they had lube in them.

My questions are can the diameter of a bullet increase drastically over a long period of time while just sitting in a can waiting to be loaded? I know my diameter has done this over time. :bigsmyl2:

And has anyone run bullets back through the case sizer after loading them?

mooman76
04-07-2012, 04:14 PM
I have run them through before. Sometimes you get a bulge from too much of a crimp. Just remove the resizer internal parts.

rexherring
04-07-2012, 04:21 PM
I have run them through before. Sometimes you get a bulge from too much of a crimp. Just remove the resizer internal parts.

And just give the case a little bump not full stroke and that should size down the crimp bulge enough.

44man
04-07-2012, 04:21 PM
Make sure you did not over crimp. That will make a bulge.
Hard boolits can grow with age but a .357 will be lucky to reach .0005" over fresh cast.
Check throat size to see if they are too small and are over the groove size slightly. If the grooves are, say .357", the throats need to be .3575" to .358". Your boolits should slip through the throats with just a finger.

wallenba
04-07-2012, 04:29 PM
Is the bulge more prominent on one side of the case than the other? If so, that can be from the boolit being seated a bit 'canted' when it's starting down. Then it may be unconcentric with the case. I had that happening with 44's until I started using an "M" die.
If not, then it is possible that the boolit is 'rebounding' ( my description, don't know the correct term). They do actually get bigger over time. I take advantage of that for some of my rifle boolits that are to small when dropped. Cast them in the fall, let them set over winter, ready in spring.

rintinglen
04-07-2012, 04:40 PM
The Lee FCD is your friend (in revolver and rifle cases NOT pistol cases). The chances are your cases vary significantly in length (Starline is notorious for this) and when you apply the roll crimp, you are getting that bulge. A Factory crimp die will iron out that bulge as you withdraw the case from the die. Adds a step to the loading process, and in the case of the 40 S&W and 9 MM Luger, it can size down the boolits that you lovingly crafted to perfectly fit your bore. However, in revolvers where you don't trim your brass, it is a god-send. (those who will decry it haven't tried when loading 2,000 plus mixed brass 38's on a tight time frame)

beagle
04-07-2012, 05:23 PM
I once made a fuba on sizing some 358429s and didn't adjust the sizer to allow for complete sizing and had to pull a couple of boxes as they wouldn't chamber no way, no how.

Just a thought and a history of one of my mistakes./beagle

williamwaco
04-07-2012, 09:14 PM
My questions are can the diameter of a bullet increase drastically over a long period of time while just sitting in a can waiting to be loaded? I know my diameter has done this over time. :bigsmyl2:

And has anyone run bullets back through the case sizer after loading them?

NO! see:

http://reloadingtips.com/pages/exp_110921a-cast-bullet-expand.htm

YES! Don't do it.
It resizes the bullet inside the case and in my case at least, DESTROYED the accuracy of the loads.

geargnasher
04-07-2012, 09:56 PM
I suspect overcrimping, but that being said, yes, I have had boolits grow on my after sizing with certain alloys. RobS and I did some tests a year or two ago and found that our boolits were growing a bit as they age hardened, and I have been to the range with closely-fitted ammo that wouldn't chamber a couple of weeks after loading.

Others have done similar tests and "proven" that boolits don't grow as aged, it must depend on the alloy 'cuz I've seen it more than once.

Gear

bullethead
04-08-2012, 01:21 AM
I recently had some bullets I cast "grow" .003" or so. I attribute it to a very high antimony mix due to adding Monotype into the pot. I know I sized the bullets with the correct die, but the bases were .362" diameter and they had lube in the groove. I ran them thru again and shot them up . Not to scientific, but thats my belief.

MtGun44
04-08-2012, 03:18 AM
as far as lead expanding with time significantly - NO.

As far as the Lee pistol type FCD - here we go again. This tool has caused a lot of problems
with people here, sizing down proper diameter boolits in the case so they are delivered
to the throat or barrel undersized.

Be careful. IMO, a properly made and used set of normal dies will produce good ammo. There
is no need to 'post size' them unless something is bad wrong with the loading process. The
Lee pistol FCD is a solution in search of a problem.

Bill

Sasquatch-1
04-08-2012, 08:15 AM
From what has been said I think I must have over crimped the case.

While I was cleaning my Black Hawk I left the cylinder out and checked the rest of the rounds I had loaded. Out of three boxes I had one box that the majority of the rounds would not fit. I did run these through the case sizer again since I don't even own a bullet puller.

I will shoot these up the next time I go to the range and will probably notice some inaccuracy. But since I am not a compitition shooter I am not worry about it.

SPRINGFIELDM141972
04-08-2012, 03:12 PM
I had the same problem with some .38 rounds. I resized them the same as suggested, but what I found was that the boolits were loose enough after resizing that I had problems with them pulling loose in the cylinder upon firing. I had to load and fire them one at time.

Regards,
Everett

Sasquatch-1
04-09-2012, 07:50 AM
I had the same problem with some .38 rounds. I resized them the same as suggested, but what I found was that the boolits were loose enough after resizing that I had problems with them pulling loose in the cylinder upon firing. I had to load and fire them one at time.

Regards,
Everett

After I resized the case I did check the mouth area of the case and there is still a crimp in place and the bullet feels firm.