PDA

View Full Version : how can I tell if I leaded my barrel

RACWIN375
04-07-2012, 03:03 PM
Hi,
I hope I posted in the right place ???

how can I tell if I leaded my barrel ??? I shot my gun and it shot nice tight groups the next trip to the range was not so good, BUT I tried some new heads before going back to the ammo that was tight the week before
both loads are cast heads (store bought) the tight grouper is copper plated the other is just lead

maybe I lead coated the bore how do I tell ????

Rick

:confused:

stubshaft
04-07-2012, 03:08 PM
If it is leaded you should be able to see it accumulating.

ku4hx
04-07-2012, 03:18 PM
You have to look. Some pretty good pics here:
http://www.reloadingtips.com/pages/leading-degrees.htm

Basically, after you remove the powder residue and boolit lube from the bore and dry it, you'll see stuff stuck to the bore in various patterns and in varying amounts. The bore should be bright and shiny assuming it's not rusted or pitted. That stuff that keeps the bore from being bright and shiny is likely lead.

HangFireW8
04-07-2012, 05:39 PM

Rick,

There are several ways to tell. When you run a patch through, is there roughness and resistance where there was none before?

Another way is just by looking, most leading takes place near the breech or the muzzle, though it can happen anywhere. You didn't mention the gun, by your nickname is it a Winchester 375? That might make it hard to look at the breech.

There's the Chore-Boy test. Clean it as if you have leading, and if some comes out, then you know it had it.

HF

monge
04-07-2012, 05:46 PM
BE warey of store bought lead bullets they are amost always undersized! had the same problem with some 44s a friend gave me load 10 and ended up melting the rest because of leading!

Dutchie
04-07-2012, 05:58 PM
on paper targets U can get key holes ( like they are going too fast, (powder choice , charge)) or U can try to stick yer tongue in the barrel and if U taste lead , then U know , LOL !

RACWIN375
04-07-2012, 05:59 PM
Rick,

There are several ways to tell. When you run a patch through, is there roughness and resistance where there was none before?

Another way is just by looking, most leading takes place near the breech or the muzzle, though it can happen anywhere. You didn't mention the gun, by your nickname is it a Winchester 375? That might make it hard to look at the breech.

There's the Chore-Boy test. Clean it as if you have leading, and if some comes out, then you know it had it.

HF

no it's not the 375Win it's my M1 carbine and last week 5 shots touched at 50 yards yesterday 2" groups low and left I don't get it ???

"Chore-Boy test" what is that the pot cleaner stuff???

Rick

Cherokee
04-07-2012, 06:24 PM
Yes, its the pot cleaning stuff. Make sure it IS copper, not copper coated steel - use a magnet. Wrap some of the strands around your bore brush and sweep it in and out like cleaning the bore. You should end up with a beautiful bore. If lead flakes came out, then you had some leading but its gone that easy. BTW, I have good and bad days with my M1Carbine, sometime good groups, sometime not.

MtGun44
04-08-2012, 03:23 AM
If you can't see it it isn't important. Very easy with a good light.

Bill

RACWIN375
04-08-2012, 06:43 AM
thanks for all the great info I'll get to it later

Rick

:bigsmyl2:

swheeler
04-08-2012, 09:01 PM
Hi,
I hope I posted in the right place ???

how can I tell if I leaded my barrel ??? I shot my gun and it shot nice tight groups the next trip to the range was not so good, BUT I tried some new heads before going back to the ammo that was tight the week before
both loads are cast heads (store bought) the tight grouper is copper plated the other is just lead

Rick

:confused:

What are heads, bullets, projectiles?

MtGun44
04-09-2012, 04:14 PM
Please use correct terminology.

Heads are on the necks of people and animals; are NOT part of ammunition, ever.

The whole thing is a cartridge with a jacketed bullet or a cast boolit.

Bill

trapper9260
04-09-2012, 08:18 PM
the way I found out that my 44mag redhawk was leading from factory lead cartiage they shot good at first and then after keep shooting it the bullets was going over all the place there was no more patten and then I check the barrel and found it leaded . After i cast my own I had no more problem

RACWIN375
04-09-2012, 08:20 PM
Please use correct terminology.

Heads are on the necks of people and animals; are NOT part of ammunition, ever.

The whole thing is a cartridge with a jacketed bullet or a cast boolit.

Bill

Bill
what is a boolit????

don't you mean bullet

and I guess it wrong to say it's a "ROUND"

I should have said pills or projectiles

and it's soda NOT pop

a Hero not a sub or a grinder

FREEDOM OF SPEECH

Rick

runfiverun
04-09-2012, 10:42 PM
the head of a case is where the writing and the primer does.
the neck is at the other end,on top of the shoulder.
a boolit is home made cast.
a bullet is jaxketed with copper.
a boolet is a case covered boolit used as a projectile.
simple right.
then there is a wrapped boolit [paper]
keeps things simple.

HangFireW8
04-10-2012, 09:26 PM
Bill
what is a boolit????

It is our standard terminology for a "cast bullet". It saves on typing.

don't you mean bullet

See above.

RACWIN375
04-13-2012, 11:51 PM
Yes, its the pot cleaning stuff. Make sure it IS copper, not copper coated steel - use a magnet. Wrap some of the strands around your bore brush and sweep it in and out like cleaning the bore. You should end up with a beautiful bore. If lead flakes came out, then you had some leading but its gone that easy. BTW, I have good and bad days with my M1Carbine, sometime good groups, sometime not.

were do I find Chore-Boy

Rick

RACWIN375
04-13-2012, 11:57 PM
It is our standard terminology for a "cast bullet". It saves on typing.

See above.

you must be kidding ??? I guess you never herd of sarcasm
my meaning is Bill was giving me a hard time for call a bullet a head and you guys do the same thing by call them boolits

I have been reloading sine 1980 and bullets were call heads back then and pills or slugs

were do I find Chore-Boy

Rick

[smilie=f:

mpmarty
04-14-2012, 12:33 AM
A head is what you blow off the top of your brew.

Ramar
04-14-2012, 06:43 AM
RACWIN375,
I'm a new member here also and I lurked and learned for 2 years before I became a member and asked a question. Those 2 years were spent reading and rereading almost every sticky. I also learned how to use this forum's most valuable tool, the "SEARCH" tab. You will find that there is very little that has not been covered already and it can be found in the archives.

No offense intended; all questions are great. If a question has not been answered here you can be certain it ain't important.
Ramar

RACWIN375
04-14-2012, 11:07 PM
I took your tip and I found a goo place for the Chore-Boy

Thank you

Rick

Pitchnit
04-14-2012, 11:15 PM
Got mine at ACE hardware. Chore boy is 99.9% copper. The is a lot of copper plated steel pads out there. Do check with a magnet. Regards-Pitchnit

Dick Dastardly
04-15-2012, 09:57 AM
So, where does one find Chore Boy?

DD-MDA

243winxb
04-15-2012, 11:08 AM
how can I tell if I leaded my barrel Accuracy will not be good.

RACWIN375
04-15-2012, 12:10 PM
Chore Boy I found at amazon.com

I thought I may have leaded my barrel because the groups went to 5" from about 1/2 inch with lead cast bullets?? what I found out was the bullets are 001 bigger then the other cast bullets I was using and the bigger likes way less powder

the bore was very clean and lead free

thanks for all the info

Rick

:Fire: