PDA

View Full Version : Lee Pro 4 casting pot.

45-70 Chevroner
04-07-2012, 08:47 AM
I have had this Pro 4 for probably 20 years, and I thought it was about ready to convert to the dip method. I got a rebuild kit for the handle mechanisum about 6 or 8 months ago, It has been working fine until yesterday. The thing keep hanging up and I couldn't shut the flow off. I finally drained it and checked it out real close. The little screw on the bottom of the pot was backed out enough that the riser was out of alignment, I tightened ever thing up and so far it's working great. I think I'll keep it for another 20 years, I'll be lucky to live long enough to use it 5 or 10 more years. I hope I'm still able to cast up to at least 75. I'm 70 years old now. I think I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

This is just a thought, but I wonder how many guys out there are still casting, that are over 75 years of age.

canyon-ghost
04-07-2012, 08:57 AM
I think that's a really great thing. We're lucky to have you along with us.

Freightman
04-07-2012, 09:25 AM
Not 75 yet but working on it at 73 and counting. I still go to work every morning and have all my hair and teeth, I was thinking at least 90 before I quit. I have a pro 4 also and it drips occasionally but just have to turn the stem to get it to stop.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
04-10-2012, 07:33 PM
Chevroner,

You're a young man still. My Dad is 89, about to turn 90 and he's not able to do much, mostly because of his congestive heart failure that's finally affected his memory and strength. He got that at about 82-85 years of age. He's got a couple friends older than him whose mind is still pretty good, so you could potentially cast for at least another 10 years or so, maybe more if health issues don't get you.

So hang in there, don't sweat the small stuff and enjoy your hobbies.

edsmith
04-10-2012, 09:58 PM
I am 71 and plan on going to at least 85.:bigsmyl2: quite a few of us old farts here. keeps us out of the beer joints.

buyobuyo
04-10-2012, 10:23 PM
I can't compete in the age race, but I just wanted to mention that I've had the same issue with the screws on my Lee Pro 4. I just make sure to check them every few casting sessions, so I know that they're tight.

45-70 Chevroner
04-12-2012, 12:33 PM
Dave In Georgia. I already have what you dad has and I also have A-Fib, I use a breathing machine for the A-Fib. The Doc. told me to keep taking my meds and stay off the salt, and I could go for hopefully another 20. Not much energy but I keep on going. Wow I can even mow the lawn once in a while. I just don't do well bending over and picking weeds and such, my wife, son and grand kids take care of that. The Doc. said he thought the A-Fib was a contributor to the Congestive Heart failure. I still get out to shoot and can still cast as it does not take much energy to do those things because I am sitting while doing it. Thanks for the encouragement.

45-70 Chevroner
04-12-2012, 12:35 PM
Buyobuyo: You are right, I just sometimes forget to check it out before I get started.

edsmith: It has keep me out of the beer joints for over 45 years.