PDA

View Full Version : Tin alloy?

DeadWoodDan
04-07-2012, 06:14 AM
Brother recently started working at a glass mnfg. plant and "found" 4lbs(?) what we hope to be tin? I didn't get a chance to take a picture but is in a square 2" X 2" ingot form. One end is melted almost like someone was using it to rub on something......

So how can we tell what alloy we have? If 100% tin or not

When he inquired about it he was educated on how they use tin in the bath to float the glass on. Later discovered they have LARGE pieces. I asked him to ask a few more questions to see if anyone really knows what they have.

Were wanting to mix a 30:1 alloy for use in a Springfield Trapdoor.

DWD

white eagle
04-07-2012, 06:58 AM
there are some bid pieces of tin like you mention
I have one myself as for the id of its make up
that is a tough one may have to take it to a scrap yard with an analyzer

randyrat
04-07-2012, 07:51 AM
One sure way is to measure is melt temperature Tin Sn melts at 429 Degs F/ WWs (clip on) about 500 degs F OR pure lead melts over 600 degs F

How to measure? good question. Maybe use a similar size ingot made of WWs to compare the the two for melt temps.
Tin/Sn also weighs less than WWs or pure lead

montana_charlie
04-07-2012, 09:13 PM
Brother recently started working at a glass mnfg. plant and "found" 4lbs(?) what we hope to be tin? I didn't get a chance to take a picture but is in a square 2" X 2" ingot form. One end is melted almost like someone was using it to rub on something......

So how can we tell what alloy we have? If 100% tin or not
So, did he just 'find' a chunk of metal worth maybe eighty bucks and then simply bring it home?

DeadWoodDan
04-09-2012, 12:00 PM
Pretty much. sounds like they were just going to pitch it and since he enjoys shooting my invetory, i encourage him to pick up all he can get for lead. He assumed thats what it was.