PDA

View Full Version : My very firast casting session

Eric H
04-06-2012, 08:26 PM
So these are my first ones, All from Lee 2 cav molds.
45 240 grain, 40 in 175 grain and 9mm in 127 I think.
I was wondering about water quenching. A friend of mine tested my RC Ingots and they where abou 10.5 Bn. I dont know if that changes once you heat it up again. The 40 is the one I am wondering about. I have read enough here to know I will be playing alot with the 9mm.
Any how , I could ramble on for hours.
My next problem is. I cant seem to pull myself away from casting boolits long enough to load any.
Will it be come easier to stop after I have been doing it for awhile ?
Nobody warned me about this part of my casting adiction.

Thanks , Eric
Just realized my picture is to big to download, will get that up shortly

littlejack
04-06-2012, 09:07 PM
Man, you really got it bad.
Go out in the woods with your favorite, and get some trigger time. We all need time away
from the lead pot.
Jack

Bullet Caster
04-06-2012, 09:08 PM
Welcome to the madness, Eric. I started casting before I ever reloaded a round. Now that I've got all this ammo loaded up, I must make an effort to go to the range and shoot some up so I can reload some more. Casting is ADICTIVE. You will never get over the urge to cast. It's just something you'll have to live with. Sounds like you've gotten off to a very good start. Personally I don't water quench anything. Wheel weights made into boolits will age harden over the next few weeks. I always try to cast a month before I reload so they are at the age hardness they should be at. When you water quench your boolits, they only stay hard for maybe a week or two. Water quenched boolits need to be reloaded pretty quickly and shot before they loose the hardness due to quenching. Just my thoughts. BC

runfiverun
04-06-2012, 10:33 PM
you'll stop when you run out of ingots, or want to go shoot and realize you are out of loaded ammo.
or the big one, you realize you now have to size/lube a whole 5 gallon bucket of boolits.

Hickory
04-07-2012, 08:08 AM
My next problem is. I cant seem to pull myself away from casting boolits long enough to load any.
Will it be come easier to stop after I have been doing it for awhile ?
Nobody warned me about this part of my casting addiction.

It's too late now for you, you're hooked and
no one here will here will help get the hook out.:groner:

Welcome to the madness we call BOOLIT Casting.:lovebooli

popper
04-07-2012, 10:20 AM
When you water quench your boolits, they only stay hard for maybe a week or two.
Really? My understanding is that Sn/Sb alloy will slowly harden and then soften some, Sn/Sb/As will harden faster and stay hard, WD.

MtGun44
04-07-2012, 10:34 AM
Fit is the critical issue - NOT hardness.

Please read the sticky on "Setting up a new 9mm for boolits" in the Handguns section,
it will save you a lot of time with 9mm.

Bill

runfiverun
04-07-2012, 10:49 AM
water quenched boolits take more than a week to fully harden.
they keep thier hardness for well over 10 years.
i think they shoot better after about two years of curing.
water quenching or heat treating your boolits has some advantages and disadvantages.