PDA

View Full Version : Sharps book to be out soon

waksupi
04-06-2012, 01:29 AM
Last weekend at the gun show, I saw a preview copy of a new book for Sharps fans. I believe the title is "Montana Sharps", featuring part of the collection of the late Austin Monk. It is being put together by Austin's daughter, Janet.
I think it may be of interest to those who like the old originals. Austin at one time had well over 100 original Sharps, and this book has the creme of the crop in it.
I am not sure how soon it will be out, but will let you know when I hear from Janet. I believe I heard June.

Doc Highwall
04-06-2012, 09:51 AM
Thank You! I will keep an eye out for it.

TXGunNut
04-11-2012, 10:06 PM
Are we talking eye candy or a study of the rifle and the folks that build and shoot them? Guess either would be enjoyable.

waksupi
04-12-2012, 01:44 AM
I just leafed through it, but would probably put it in the eye candy category. I didn't have time to look at it any closer. If it has some of Austins stories on how he acquired some of the rifles, it will be a good read in itself. When I get hold of the finished copy, I'll give a review.

Kenny Wasserburger
04-12-2012, 08:19 PM
Rick I would be very interested in how to aquire a copy when it comes out.

KennyW

waksupi
04-14-2012, 02:11 AM
I talked to Janet this afternoon. She says it covers a lot of the stories on how Austin acquired various Sharps rifles, and life on the ranch. Keep in mind, there were old time buffalo runners still alive and living in this part of the state when he was a kid. Knowing the family pretty well, I would read the ranch stories, and not care all that much about the rifle part of the story. I recall there being a large chunk of gold bearing quartz up on the mantle piece. When Austin was asked about where it came from, he said he wasn't sure. He knew it was from the ranch somewhere, but not where exactly. It was caught in one of the horse's hooves when it came in from round up. May start a gold rush!

She didn't have a release date as of yet.