PDA

View Full Version : I'm looking for a "cannon ball"

Beerd
04-05-2012, 11:04 AM
My step-daughter is getting married in June and I have a little project that involves the groom, 3 feet of chain, a padlock and a cast iron ball [smilie=1:

So far I have had no luck with the local scrap yards. Does anyone have an idea of where I might find a suitable 4 or 5 inch diameter ball?
Thanks.

edler7
04-05-2012, 11:25 AM
Any place close that might have a large ball mill ? If so, you might be able to talk them out of one.

Other than that....an old bowling ball, maybe ?

Jim Flinchbaugh
04-05-2012, 11:33 AM
Find a bowling ball, drag it around behind your truck and beat it up and then paint it flat black

Rick Hodges
04-05-2012, 11:40 AM
8# round downrigger fishing weight.

Just Duke
04-05-2012, 11:55 AM
When I had nothing else to live for so and got married :groner: I found a shot-put is much lighter to drag around the catacombs of her dungeon. :violin:
http://www.americanfitness.net/competitionshotput8lbs.aspx
Throw it on your drill press and drill & tap it. Then use a threaded eyebolt.
http://supportyourlocalgunfighter.com/wp-content/uploads/ball-and-chain.jpg

KCSO
04-05-2012, 12:26 PM
Auto body putty for the holes and flat black and a cannon ball works just fine. The largest cannon ball I have on hand is a 3".

bruce drake
04-05-2012, 12:26 PM
http://loyalistarms.freeservers.com/cannons.htm

Alvarez Kelly
04-05-2012, 12:44 PM
I know it might be too "big", but I've got a real deal 7 1/2 to 8 inch across cannon ball you can have for the cost of shipping it to you.

I don't really know how old it is, but I think it's Civil War. I don't need it and you can have it.

LMK

Beerd
04-05-2012, 12:51 PM
There is a cement plant about 150 miles away that probably has a ball mill.

If made of lead, I would be tempted to turn a downrigger weight into bullets.

I like the idea of a 8 or 10 pound shot put.

LMK, what does that 8 incher weigh?

Alvarez Kelly
04-05-2012, 01:12 PM
what does that 8 incher weigh?

According to my bathroom scales, it's right at 50 pounds. It's too "big" to fit in any of the flat rate boxes. It may be cheapest to go UPS or Parcel Post.

quilbilly
04-05-2012, 01:33 PM
Check your local serious fishing tackle store (not necessarily Wally World). Lots of downrigger cannonballs are used on Flathead Lake as well as Pend O.rielle, and Priest Lakes.

Beerd
04-05-2012, 02:07 PM
Alvarez, Thanks for the offer but I'll have to pass on your cannon ball, a 50 pounder is a bit much for my use.

I will look around for downrigger weights or a shot-put.

theperfessor
04-05-2012, 02:18 PM
My wife went to a craft type store once and brought home some 4-6" balls made from various things encased in a clear resin. None very heavy, any of them could be painted. Any craft /hobby stores nearby? Or make one out of paper mâché and a balloon.

Blacksmith
04-05-2012, 04:07 PM
Get a kids rubber ball the size you want cut a hole and fill with Cement, you can even cast in the chain end. When it sets either cut the ball off or paint it ball and all.

Leslie Sapp
04-05-2012, 06:33 PM
As I have a little experience with this...:mrgreen:

Get a bowling ball, about 3' of chain, and a 1/2" x 6" threaded eye bolt. Drill a hole in the ball just tight enough for the eye bolt to lightly cut some threads as you screw it in, then epoxy it in.

In the very first minute of the bachelor party, get several of his largest "friends" to hold him while you lock it on him. If all goes well, by the shank of the evening no one will remember where the key is, and he will have to go in search of a large set of bolt cutters the next morning. :evil:

Missoulaz28
04-05-2012, 07:22 PM
I work at a bowling alley and get requests all of the time for them for this exact reason. If your local bowling can't help you out I will send you one for the price of shipping.

Frank46
04-05-2012, 11:21 PM
At my bachelor party a buddy chained and locked a 16" mill ball to my leg. One of the girls at the bar had the key. He was very suprised when I grabbed the chain and lifted the mill ball and put it on the bar. The barkeep tried to lift it but could not. Course I was a lot younger and stronger back then. Life has a way of creeping up on you. Mill ball is the way to go. The barkeep decided it was best if the waitress gave me the key rather than mess up the bar's finish. Frank

sav300
04-06-2012, 07:56 AM
Listen to the Perfessor, One balloon and paper mache.Fill with concrete or whatever.

The Double D
04-06-2012, 04:27 PM
Rotometals will sell you a 6 PDR

starmac
04-06-2012, 04:35 PM
I heard myth busters had a line on where to get them. IIRC they had a line on where not to send them too.

Just Duke
04-06-2012, 04:42 PM
As I have a little experience with this...:mrgreen:

Get a bowling ball, about 3' of chain, and a 1/2" x 6" threaded eye bolt. Drill a hole in the ball just tight enough for the eye bolt to lightly cut some threads as you screw it in, then epoxy it in

The bowling balls we shot were full of concrete.