PDA

View Full Version : Freedom in Canada Long gun registry ended

Driller640
04-04-2012, 10:44 PM
The bill to end the long gun registry passed the Senate today, 50 to 27 in favor, now just Royal Assent (signed by the GG). After 17 years of fighting, Canadian Gun owners have won a victory!! Now on to the next battle, the war never ends!!

knifemaker
04-04-2012, 11:26 PM
That's great. Just continue the good fight.

waksupi
04-05-2012, 12:36 AM
Excellent~! I wonder if they will destroy the records on my guns now?

Jim Flinchbaugh
04-05-2012, 02:12 AM
Congratulations northern neighbors!

lead Foot
04-05-2012, 03:44 AM
There is hope for us all. That's one for common sense. Only wish the Australian government will wake up too themselves and follow suit. Best wish's to our Canadian friends.
Lead foot;

missionary5155
04-05-2012, 04:11 AM
Praise God ! That is some of the best news I have heard from Canada in my lifetime. This news ranks right up there with your embassy giving aid to the three Americans in Iran back in 1980. I pray one day you have the joy of complete Freedom.
Mike in Peru

blackthorn
04-05-2012, 12:40 PM
Yes!!! Good news indeed! BUT---we are still away less free than we were before that Nazi legislation was first put into place. The real problem is that part of that legislation gave power to non-elected bureaucrats to declare a particular firearm (or group of firearms) prohibited and if your Possession Acquisition License (PAL) does not cover prohibited firearms your firearm can be confiscated without compensation (legal theft!). We have a loooong way to go. If you are Canadian, join the NFA (National Firearms Association)! The fight continues!

MtGun44
04-05-2012, 12:52 PM
Congratulations! Big win, very heartlily agree with the Australian reversal as a good
follow on.

Bill

wgr
04-05-2012, 01:28 PM
:awesome:

Recluse
04-05-2012, 01:35 PM
That's awesome news. I hope the UK, New Zealand and Australia pro-freedom associations can muster the same results and momentum.

To our Canadian friends: Keep the momentum up!

:coffee:

Love Life
04-05-2012, 01:38 PM
Congratulations!!!

ErikO
04-05-2012, 02:40 PM
On to the handgun laws! W00T!

WARD O
04-05-2012, 02:42 PM
GREAT NEWS!!!!

Don't ever give up.

Driller640
04-05-2012, 03:03 PM
Quick note, Law comes into effect tonight midnight April 5, my gun collection just doubled!!!!

gandydancer
04-05-2012, 03:13 PM
:awesome:eh
good news eh. about time eh . I'll have a beer on it eh.

garym1a2
04-05-2012, 03:21 PM
Yahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Driller640
04-05-2012, 04:13 PM
gandydancer, make it a Canadian Beer, Eh!!!!

Marlin Junky
04-05-2012, 04:39 PM
Excellent~! I wonder if they will destroy the records on my guns now?

Do you have dual citizenship?

MJ

Jeff Michel
04-05-2012, 05:41 PM
Congratulations, Enjoy your victory. If the political machine in Canada is like the one in the states. This is only going to fire 'em up. Do the Canadian citizens have a "Bill of Rights" captured in their charter/ constitution? I think the U.S would be in the same condition as NZ, AU, UK and to a lesser extent now :) Canada. It never ceases to amaze me on how far sighted our founding father were when the Constitution and the Bill of Rights were drafted.

Red River Rick
04-05-2012, 06:18 PM
It's true...............as of Midnight tonight, Ottawa time.

I wait till 1:00 a.m., then I'll burn all of my registration certificates. I'll post some pics just to prove I'm really happy.

FYI. Various groups have been pushing hard to "LAX" some of the handgun legislation, we have supporters in Ottawa. Handgun hunting should be allowed here, same with open carry.

We need to stick togeather on these issues, keep fighting and lots of pressure.................laws can be changed for the BETTER!.

From a VERY HAPPY CANADIAN GUN OWNER!
[smilie=w:

RRR

waksupi
04-05-2012, 06:29 PM
Do you have dual citizenship?

MJ

No, but I have crossed the border quite a bit with firearms. I hold a Canadian PAL, and am licensed for restricted and non-restricted firearms in Canada.

hunter64
04-14-2012, 11:43 AM
There is a panel convening right how with the PC MLA's going over the various stupid laws and regulations that were pushed down our throat from the far left wing in the 90's. They are looking at making the Authorization to Transport "ATT" a lifetime license and incorporating it with a lifetime firearms license. That would be a great first step and then on to the ridiculous handgun licensing/laws.

MT Gianni
04-14-2012, 01:03 PM
Great news. I wonder why CNN & The Network news in the US passed this over?

starmac
04-14-2012, 04:15 PM
Great news. I wonder why CNN & The Network news in the US passed this over?

Maybe they just missed it while they are preparing to fight the various stand your ground, or no duty to retreat laws.

10x
04-15-2012, 12:30 PM
Sorry to rain on your parade. It is a hollow victory.
Licensing remains with barriers to getting a gun license.

Under section 91 of the Canadian Criminal Code it is federal offense to be in possession of a firearm. The license suspends the ability of the courts to convict for limited classes of firearm that are not listed in the Canadian laws as either restricted or prohibited.
The second a firearms license expires in Canada the owner can be charged under section 91 of the criminal code of Canada.

Canadians obtain, hold, and renew their gun licenses at the whim and pleasure of the government minister in charge of the Firearms Act (Chapter 39, Statutes of Canada).
Currently one must qualify for a license by passing the Canadian Firearms Safety Course - a course with a limited number of instructors that are qualified to deliver. Some rural areas have few, or no instructors so the locals are S.O.L.
The minister can set the fees, and standards to get a license, and can determine what guns a license will allow. There are a number of classes of license in Canada, a general license that allows certain (but not all) rifles and shotguns, an endorsement that allows possession of handguns in specific addresses (At a residence or gun range, no where else) and a 12(x) grandfathered license that allows very restricted possession of guns deemed prohibited.

The minister in charge has extensive powers unfettered by parliament to 1) issue 2) revoke 3) withdraw, 4) define the guns a license covers 5) define the purpose of a firearm 6) set the fees to get a license and 7) set the standard to be met to get a license.
All based on the opinion of a NON GUN OWNER with advice from government bureaucrats who are NON GUN OWNERS.

The Long gun registry in Canada was sacrificed to save the licensing scheme that would allow the total and complete ban of every gun in Canada by the simple act of a single government minister to revoke every firearms license in Canada - a power given by section 117 of the firearms act. (and section 119 as well).

Until section 91 is completely gone from the Canadian Criminal code Canadian gun owners are at risk of loosing their guns.

For a handgun owner failure to renew a license before expiry may result in 1) a criminal code conviction under section 91, 2) Seizure and forfeit of all firearms, ammo, and related gear 3) a firearms prohibition for 5 or ten years and 5) a fine and possible 4 or ten year prison sentence. (Section 92 of the Canadian Criminal code allows for a ten year prison sentence for those folks that possess a firearm without a license and are aware that the proper license is needed.

Does not licensing of gun owners sound good to you now?

starmac
04-15-2012, 03:37 PM
WOW I never knew you guys had those kind of hoops to go through. Canada customs have always been super nice when I carried guns across. I always thought that you guys were good to go as long as it was not a restricted firearm or handgun.

scarry scarney
04-15-2012, 03:49 PM
Just reading the hoops our northern cousins have to go through, just makes me sick

R.M.
04-15-2012, 05:08 PM
Hoops, yes, but it's not that bad. From what I understand, there are some states that have worse. NY comes to mind.

10x
04-15-2012, 05:28 PM
Just reading the hoops our northern cousins have to go through, just makes me sick

The process to get a license isn't bad - it is the criminal liability one incurs when they let their license lapse.
I own "prohibited" rifles legally. The laws are interpreted so that there is no way I can get permission to shoot them.
AR15 rifles can only be fired at a gun range and nowhere else.
The government claims for "Reasons of public safety" - but there is no evidence that shooting an AR15 on my land or any other place in Canada is a public safety issue.

fishhawk
04-15-2012, 05:32 PM
what i'm wondering about is how this now affects us going to Canada for hunting. The paper you got when crossing the boarder and "registering" your long gun was good for 60 days if i remember right. So if Canadians still need a PAL what do we here need to be legal in Canada?

waksupi
04-15-2012, 07:56 PM
Go to the Canadian Firearms website and ask, they will give you the answer, and you can print it out to have crossing the border.

If you think Canadian gun laws are hard to figure out, call the BATF, and get a copy of the laws they send to FFL holders. I'll bet most here are in violation some how.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
04-16-2012, 04:22 PM
Hoops, yes, but it's not that bad. From what I understand, there are some states that have worse. NY comes to mind.

I don't live in NY , wouldn't want to

here is what you are missing , you should be able to walk into any store , pay down your money and walk out the same day with your gun.

if you want to buy a gun from a fella at the range or at a gun show , you should pay him he should hand you the gun

you want ammo , walk into the store put ammo on counter pay money , the cashier completes the transaction and you take your ammo home

we here in Wisconsin face to face private party transactions with others from Wisconsin are legal and very common , it is nobodies business, what guns or how many guns you have.

if we go to a store we have an instant criminal background check for long guns or hand guns , with a long gun as long as your instant criminal check comes back clean you walk with your gun that day.

hand guns have the most absurdly ridiculous 48 hour waiting period , even if you have a concealed carry license , even it you are carrying a concealed gun into the store to purchase another , and while ridiculous and probably never prevented a crime it is just 2 days.

if you go to a dealer your transaction is between you and the dealer they call you in for a background check and you have to fill out the form but they keep their half of the form and you keep your half , the BATF can audit their records but your data doesn't go into a state or national registry of any type.

In Wisconsin any non-felon 21 or older can carry a gun , open carry , the same person can apply and pay the 50 dollars for a 5 year concealed carry license if they can pass the background check to purchase the pistol , and have their certificate of training a minimum 4 hour training course, as long as there are no errors on their application it should be processed and license issued with no problem and carry most every were.

your never going to believe this part , the blood doesn't run in the streets , shootings here are very minimal outside of the big cities with gang problems

here is the secret
good people don't become bad people when they get a gun in their hands , but bad people will be bad people whether they have a bare hand , club , or gun.

so why punish good people , the bad people will do bad things no matter how illegal you make them.

we shouldn't have to pay for concealed carry we should move to be like Vermont , Alaska and Arizona and recognize a good persons right to defense without a permit or license

after we get constitutional carry in Wisconsin , I think we are at a very reasonable check and balance system, prove your not a criminal to buy a gun from a store otherwise gun freedom

we would like it if our friends and relatives in Canada , the US and around the world would join us in working towards this goal.

10x
04-16-2012, 04:32 PM
snip
here is the secret
good people don't become bad people when they get a gun in their hands , but bad people will be bad people whether they have a bare hand , club , or gun.

so why punish good people , the bad people will do bad things no matter how illegal you make them.

snip.

It seems that the voters are very, very, very good at electing some of the bad people into political office....

R.M.
04-16-2012, 04:35 PM
Nope, not missing anything. If you'll notice, I live in Colorado. Laws here aren't too bad at all. I don't know that I could ever go back to Canada because of their gun laws, but I do travel back for shooting comps, and did live there for 45 years. There's good and bad no matter where you go. I don't think there is a perfect place to live.