PDA

View Full Version : Jeff's random thought of the day #4

JeffinNZ
04-04-2012, 06:23 PM
Easter.

I come to work this morning and there is a packet of hot cross buns on my desk and some chocolate eggs. Abby is excited to go the preschool today because they are having an Easter egg hunt. Easter everywhere. Easter sales. Easter holidays. Easter eggs.

At no time have I heard any reference in the last few days about the poor fellow that got nailed to a cross 2000 years ago. Carpenter from memory. Mum's name was Mary IIRC.

I'm not even the slightest bit religious either. But Easter is Easter. I'll being having a talk with the girls later.

bruce drake
04-04-2012, 07:45 PM
Jeff,

Keep them grounded in the Word of God and you'll reap the rewards for years to come!

Bruce

jmsj
04-04-2012, 08:02 PM
Jeff,
I am sorry to say that this is all to common.
I am always saddened to see children that don't know or understand the reason for Easter or Christmas. Their parents have taken a holy day and turned it into a reason for self-indulgence.
jmsj

Springfield
04-04-2012, 08:11 PM
I'm not religious either, but I try and tell my kids what the Holidays are about. Hallmark did NOT invent Easter, Christmas, and the others but if we don't tell them otherwise kids will never know. The school sure isn't going to tell them. My kids school didn't even mention Easter as far as I have seen but they sure pushed MLK's birthday.

Blacksmith
04-04-2012, 09:30 PM
HE is the reason for the season!

JeffinNZ
04-05-2012, 04:28 AM
All hope appears not to be lost. Had a talk to the girls over dinner. Abby is only four so I can't expect too much from her but Kiera was her usual clever self.

My question: "What is the true meaning of Easter?"

Her answer: "It is about when Jesus died or came back to life."

Pretty good for a none christian seven year old. We had a good talk about the whole thing.

WILCO
04-05-2012, 08:59 AM
HE is the reason for the season!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Livyi58WW4

Credits end at 4:43.......

missionary5155
04-05-2012, 09:35 AM
Good morning
Now if you want religion you should try a Roman Catholic country. We have to make detours down cow trails as the main roads can be blocked with processions of hundreds of people showing their religious devotion. Not that any of that is Biblical...
Mike in Peru

Lance Boyle
04-05-2012, 10:23 AM
I've seen the awareness come and go with my nieces and nephews.

They're kids, they tend to get side tracked easily, especially by candy. I'm glad you remember to refresh their memory if required.

-this from a guy raised Roman Catholic but am pretty much non Church participating. Still have some faith, just not so much in the Church. The Church seems to run as a business venture.

Wayne Smith
04-05-2012, 10:30 AM
My definitions: Religion is man's hopeless search for God. Christianity is God reaching down to man. All too many Christians turn Christianity into religion.

Ickisrulz
04-05-2012, 01:32 PM
My definitions: Religion is man's hopeless search for God. Christianity is God reaching down to man. All too many Christians turn Christianity into religion.

James' definition:

"If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person's religion is worthless. Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world. "

James 1:26-27

DIRT Farmer
04-05-2012, 10:09 PM
Thank you Jeff. Too many ignore the meaning and buy into the bunny thing.

RugerFan
04-05-2012, 11:05 PM
Jeff,

Keep them grounded in the Word of God and you'll reap the rewards for years to come!

Bruce

Very true!

Jeffrey
04-06-2012, 06:46 AM
We all have our beliefs. All equally valid to that person. Where did "Easter" get its name? The truth is that "Easter" a Christian adaptation of a Pagan fertility festival celebrating the Goddess Ostara. Rabbits... Eggs..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C4%92ostre
As far as Pagan values are concerned: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine_Noble_Virtues
J

Blammer
04-07-2012, 09:11 AM
now that mine are old enough to really understand we chat about it, you know, (how come rabbits lay chocolate eggs... :) )

actually they are starting to ask a lot of questions about the event, when Jesus rose from the dead.