PDA

View Full Version : range day 2

Bear Claw
04-02-2007, 11:47 PM
Went out again w/ a bit hotter load, it was about 71gr ff but my 2-3 inch groups turned into 6" patterns, my new sights should be in this week & that should help, w/ my old eyes it's hard to see the front sight somtimes.

anyway gona try something in the 62 to 68 gr range next.

Also I am curious How many of you made your own cross sticks & how many bought them ready made?

Bear Claw:drinks:

powderburnerr
04-03-2007, 10:41 AM
Sounds like your fouling got ahead of you , maybe slow down on the shooting and use the blow tube a little more .. to see if you are blowing enough , look at the muzzle after blowing and see if the fouling has turned black then see how long it stays until it dries . this will tell you how long you have to shoot the shot and if you are getting enough moisture in the barrel..........

I make mine they are simple to hard to make depending on what you want.
.............Dean

WBH
04-06-2007, 06:32 PM
Bear Claw...send me your addy and I'll send you a sample of my lube. So far results have been exceptional.

jerrold
04-06-2007, 08:46 PM
I make my cross sticks, pretty crude but they work. Make my own lube too. There are more formulas for lube than there are people who use it.[smilie=1: Wannna try mine:-D
Life is short
jerrold

Bear Claw
04-07-2007, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the come-backs:-D

I only have about 100 rds down range so far so If its ok I would like a rain check on your offers:-D ??????

P B You may have hit it on the head, we had had a lot of rain here b-4 that trip, and to be honest I didnt BT at all:oops: and upon cleaning the gun I did notice two " dry spots" in the bore, not too bad but just a little drag on the patch

B C :drinks:

powderburnerr
04-07-2007, 09:29 PM
Thats all it takes .
I have used 68gns with a govt bullet and shot 20 rounds without cleaning with the accuracy holding real good but it requires 1/2 in of compression after drop tubing....if you are comfortable doing that ... Dean

Bear Claw
04-07-2007, 10:03 PM
Yep I am I shoot a 457125 ( for now ) & DT what ever FFg charge I dream up & then use my calip. & messure to the 1st band then set my comp plug to that depth, then I hand seat the boolits, then a pass in the seating die w/o the stem & "bob's your uncle" I have a nice looking round.

Thanks for your tips I do tend to shoot too fast & you already know about my bt situation, so I will work on doing it better.

B C :drinks:

Rambunctious
04-08-2007, 09:41 PM
Hey BC,

Using the best lube available, be it homemade or commercial, is important, but I have to agree with Steve Brooks (mold maker) when he said, "Almost any lube will work with enough blowtubing".

To blowtube properly, you need to use long, deep breaths. On a cool day, maybe 4 and on a hot day 6 to even 10 (hot day and hot barrel). You should be able to actually see the moisture moving down the clear blowtube. The tube should be as short as possible so that the maximum amount of moisture makes it into the barrel (I like mine long enough so that I can make sight adjustments while I'm blowing, no longer). And you need to bring plenty of water to the range with you and drink plenty to keep the moisture level up in your lungs. That makes a BIG difference.

Just my $.02

powderburnerr
04-08-2007, 10:01 PM
Bear claw ,
If you compress and seat the 457125 with a heavy crimp over the very front band you will be happy with the results especialy if you use 68-70 gns of 2 F and a wax paper wad on top of the powder under the bullet.the tight crimp over the front band helps in the clean ignition and the little deeper seating will allow you to shoot in hunting situations..............Dean