PDA

View Full Version : Silhouette Target stands ideas needed

GREENCOUNTYPETE
04-04-2012, 12:06 PM
our rifle club used to have a regular Saturday 22 silhouette match , and the range was primarily set up for that , right to left the 12 lanes have 3 stands at 40 meters
3 stands at 60 meters , 3 stands at 80 meters , and 3 at 100 meters with a small berm behind each

over the years the matches slowed down , members got older and matches slowed down then stopped and now our 4H shooting sports club are the only ones using the target stands

over the years they have fallen into disrepair , we have come to a point were we need to replace them

our current stands are grater blades mounted in front of a timber that has metal rails to hold the silhouette targets , if a shot is low it is caught and deflected down by the grater blade

building something like this isn't the difficult part we can weld , affording the materials is
I am wondering what other places do for metal silhouette stands

next challenge we just got a set of muzzle loader silhouette targets for our muzzle loading program we shoot .490 patched round ball usually with 30 to 60 gr of fffg powder but obliviously a 180gr ball is going to hit harder than a 40 gr 22lr

besides purchase of metal to rebuild a configuration similar to what we have , i have toyed with the idea of posts of inch and a half steel pipe that hold the targets up then build up with sand right to the top edge of the posts

the plan is also to make these target stands removable , so they can be stored where they won't get damaged

we are working an a fairly tight budget

7br
04-04-2012, 02:13 PM
Do you want string resets or will you have target setters go down range and reset? I have shot the runts (1/5 scale rifle targets) at 25 yards with a .22 pistol and they tend to leave the area with a good hit. I am not sure what 40 yards is like

If you are having target setters go down range, you can use short pieces of angle iron set in the ground and the weld thin bar stock across the tops of the angle iron. Position the corner of the angle iron to point at the shooter to minimize bounce back. It the range is open to center fire shooters, you may wind up doing repair work on the stands.

Calling misses is critical in shooting sihouettes. A berm covered in white sand or pea gravel really makes the target contrast and helps with calling shots. The stands will need to be close enough to the berm and high enough that low shots impact the berm and not the ground in front of the berm. This helps with safety and calling shots.

Something else to consider. If the range is used by individuals with centerfire firearms, they probably will not realize the damage a rifle round will do to the stand until you have several holes in them. Every year, we wound up welding holes in targets and stands.

I am sure something else will occur to me in a while.

willk
04-04-2012, 02:28 PM
Though not moveable, one of the very best materials for silhouette target stands are inverted railroad rails. They are heavy, very hard, last forever and I am not sure what it would take to harm them but short of a 50BMG I am sure you would be safe. For small bore, different sized I beams with wood support stands that are bolted on (and easily unbolted) are the plan.

Jim Flinchbaugh
04-04-2012, 03:04 PM
Some suggestions to gather materials:
we have a fairly good relationship with our local metal recyclers. We can usually scrounge the left overs and scrap bin for misc steel. Last week they GAVE us about 8 square feet of AR400 plate to make new gongs, this was 5/8 thick!
Railroad ties are always good, last forever, and generally free if you can load them & haul them away. Used lumber is always around, & we have gotten new from a few mills in the area. The plywood mill keeps us in target backers from their reject pile.
Go into it with the same attitude as scrounging lead. You'll be amazed what turns up!

GREENCOUNTYPETE
04-04-2012, 03:47 PM
when we finish a round with 12 shooters firing we put in clear bore indicators and rack the rifles and reset targets

a solid hit at 40 meters will toss a chicken 10 feet or so, at 60 , 80 , and 100
pigs turkeys and rams don't go as far

i have thought about putting a tether on them so they can be found more easily

GREENCOUNTYPETE
04-04-2012, 04:55 PM
yes our biggest problem is people occasionally shooting the stands , all center fire , fire is supposed to be shot into the burns along the left side of the range , not every on reads that well

that is why we are thinking that removable stands are the way to go we need them for only 2 months in the spring

Norbrat
04-04-2012, 07:14 PM
I've drawn these up and am in the process of making them for our club.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/109144f7cd4618135a.jpg

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/109144f7cd4613393b.jpg

The angle is 40mm x 5mm (1½ x 3/16") and the plate is 40mm x 5 mm (1½ x 5/16") Flat Bar.

If you would like more info, drawings, etc, send me a PM and I'll do what I can to help.

jsizemore
04-04-2012, 08:11 PM
The simplest and less costly was a piece of 1/2" rebar and a piece of flat bar on the top that is the same width as the foot of the animal. For 1/2 size animals 1/4"x2" x 3" feet are welded on the legs. Chicken and turkey stands have a piece cut the same size as the foot. Pigs and rams are 12-14" long. They're driven in the ground with a 2lb sledge. Make a jig to weld the the rebar square and tight to the stand top. No need to over think this. Make a couple extra of each just in case.

Standard NRA distances are 40,50,77 & 100 yards or meters.

stubshaft
04-04-2012, 09:51 PM
Though not moveable, one of the very best materials for silhouette target stands are inverted railroad rails. They are heavy, very hard, last forever and I am not sure what it would take to harm them but short of a 50BMG I am sure you would be safe. For small bore, different sized I beams with wood support stands that are bolted on (and easily unbolted) are the plan.

They are "bulletproof". We set them up on our range in 1982 and they are still going strong.

rockrat
04-04-2012, 10:47 PM
For our stands, we use 2 & 7/8" upset tubing (think oil well tubing) and weld grader blade to set the targets on. If you could get some larger tubing to set in the ground, you could just insert the stands when you shoot and remove when done

GREENCOUNTYPETE
04-04-2012, 11:00 PM
I found a source for rail road ties 8' for 8.50 at a building supply company

I called the other rifle/muzzle loader instructor for our 4H club he has access to a sand pit

we are going to use railroad ties laying down , leveled in the sand with sand built up even with the front edge then build up the berm more behind with sand

he said he used to rake the berm smooth then spread it with barn lime to make it white for nice contrast and to call shots , he wanted to build up the berm again some more also anyway

Norbert those look very nice , but with the current price of steel , out of our price range , i may make some up like that as a travel set , if i can get enough steel later , we get invited to shoots to encourage shooting sport in the area a 4-5 foot target stand like that that would free stand on legs might be just the thing to bring to an event like that.

Jim , i am calling the recycler tomorrow , they just worked with the 4h art people to collect up license plates , silver ware , and keys for some of their art projects so i am hope full they will work with us also.

we would like to put some angle iron on the top front edge of the railroad tie , we are bit concerned that low shots will chew up the railroad tie if they hit the edge , going to see if we can get some scrap metal that will work , will also have to test building up the sand that may be enough

when we are done with our 2 month season the plan is to move the ties out and let the shooters shoot into the sand , then i plan to go berm mining

thanks for your ideas , helping us find a way to set our targets on a budget .

GREENCOUNTYPETE
04-04-2012, 11:06 PM
The simplest and less costly was a piece of 1/2" rebar and a piece of flat bar on the top that is the same width as the foot of the animal. For 1/2 size animals 1/4"x2" x 3" feet are welded on the legs. Chicken and turkey stands have a piece cut the same size as the foot. Pigs and rams are 12-14" long. They're driven in the ground with a 2lb sledge. Make a jig to weld the the rebar square and tight to the stand top. No need to over think this. Make a couple extra of each just in case.

Standard NRA distances are 40,50,77 & 100 yards or meters.

also a very good idea , might try a few of them and see how that works for us also

40 , 50 , 77 and 100 are probably what they are i never measured they were just there

caseyboy
04-04-2012, 11:23 PM
Actually the proper distances for smallbore is 40, 60, 77 and 100 meters or yards. Targets scaled appropiately.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
04-05-2012, 09:05 AM
distance doesn't matter all that much , we make it easy on our selves and write in our fair rules , targets of varying size at varying distance , all fair shoots take place on the same day so every one shoots the same target setup , they get plenty of practice time to get sighted in at each distance

the kids can bring their own guns , or we have some club guns , we see everything from 1930s single shot springfields to new 10/22 with target barrels and honestly the kid with his old coon gun cleaned the rams as well as anyone

jsizemore
04-05-2012, 08:49 PM
Actually the proper distances for smallbore is 40, 60, 77 and 100 meters or yards. Targets scaled appropiately.

You are correct. Those are the distances for smallbore rifle silhouette.
I gave the distances for hunter pistol silhouette with a screw-up for turkeys. Should be 75, not 77. My bad.

Smallbore rifle targets are 1/5 scale and are not what I would put out there to shoot muzzleloaders. If they are going to shoot ML'ers or cowboy lever action then they will probably shoot the 1/2 scale hunter pistol targets. Much easier to hit a cocker spaniel sized target then a squirrel at 100 yards. No disrespect intended. The best I ever did was a 24 on the smallbore rifle targets with my scoped smallbore hunter pistol.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
04-06-2012, 10:45 AM
the muzzle loader targets are hunting pistol silhouettes

we also have some 22 pistol silhouettes

jsizemore
04-06-2012, 08:41 PM
A couple of the clubs I shot at had a "kids day" and allowed the youngns' to shoot from the prone position or benchrest. It took a little to scrounge a couple rifles that fit the kids but ALL the regulars went into their ammo boxes to provide ammo and coach the kids. Lots of fun.