PDA

View Full Version : Primers

Big Impact
04-04-2012, 12:44 AM
Is it just me but are pistol primers starting to to get hard to find again? It seems that a lot of suppliers are out of stock, especially small pistol primers. Not as bad as it was 3 years ago, I hope we dont go their again.

runfiverun
04-04-2012, 02:33 AM
we're goin there again. been headin that way for about two months now.
try ordering a ruger handgun.
they are about 1 million behind.

Rangefinder
04-04-2012, 03:01 AM
Yup--it's hitting some areas harder, but I'm noting it even here in BFE. Running a little scarce the past few months.

Beau Cassidy
04-04-2012, 07:46 AM
Grafs had a bunch of small pistol primers a few weeks ago. Some yahoo in Georgia ordered a pretty good slug of Federal small pistol primers so they are much lower in stock there now. I believe Powder Valley was out at the time. Maybe they have some back in stock now.

ku4hx
04-04-2012, 07:53 AM
Last week got 10k SP and LP from Powder Valley (local group buy) and right this minute their site shows only percussion caps and shotgun primers out of stock.

Iron Mike Golf
04-04-2012, 11:03 AM
Looking good in my area. I could walk in and get 5000-10000 at my LGS. Prices have not risen, either.

soldierbilly1
04-04-2012, 05:25 PM
Yup--it's hitting some areas harder, but I'm noting it even here in BFE. Running a little scarce the past few months.

it's getting near election time. Folks are scared of the threatenin' liberals.

As scary as it is, Obongo has a chance at reelection, sorry to say, a good one at that.
billy boy

I also heard that Ruger is $1 million in backorders, their stock is really moving, so is Smith and Wesson.

Bwana
04-04-2012, 05:30 PM
My supplier down the road eleven miles has a little over 3 million pistol primers on hand.

Catshooter
04-04-2012, 05:35 PM
Check with that supplier in six months and see what he says.

Cat

41 mag fan
04-04-2012, 06:41 PM
15K 5.56 primers last week from Wideners. Didn't have much of anything when I ordered it 3/9

SlowSmokeN
04-05-2012, 12:38 AM
Hard pickings here. I was on a waiting list for four weeks and was only able to get 3k SP. You would think suppliers would want to meet demand to boost profits.

lead4me
04-05-2012, 04:01 AM
I just picked up 10,000 sp & 15,000 lp from graf & sons looked like they had plenty.

fredj338
04-05-2012, 03:39 PM
Yep, everyone is worried, & with good casue, that PBO is re elected & starts his "I have more flexability now that I don;t have to run for election again" BS. Try finding AR uppers anywhere for a good price.

geargnasher
04-05-2012, 05:14 PM
Once again, Obozo is selling more guns, ammo, and components than any other POTUS in history.

Gear

Ickisrulz
04-05-2012, 06:23 PM
I ordered enough primers, powder and rimfire ammo for the next 18 months.

I plan on picking up some stripped lower receivers for ARs soon and some standard capacity magazines for AR and Mini 14s.

Better safe than sorry.

04-05-2012, 06:28 PM
Just received a Powder Valley order, so I should have enough primers and powder to last till next election cycle.

Should start looking for something to use the C&R license on, though.

ShooterAZ
04-05-2012, 06:33 PM
They are getting harder to find in bulk in my area too...I don't like to pay hazmat.

sig2009
04-05-2012, 06:45 PM
Another ploy to hold product off the market to increase prices!!!!! They are readily available at any gun show in the northeast. There is no shortage of gasoline but the price keeps going up. There will be no shortage of primers and they will raise the price like gasoline.

troyboy
04-05-2012, 06:58 PM
Thats the truth

ShooterAZ
04-05-2012, 07:09 PM
Another ploy to hold product off the market to increase prices!!!!! They are readily available at any gun show in the northeast. There is no shortage of gasoline but the price keeps going up. There will be no shortage of primers and they will raise the price like gasoline.

I hope you are wrong...the price of shooting in the last 10 years or so has put a crimp in my style. This is one of the major reasons I started casting in the first place. I used top pay $18-22 bucks for a box of 500 commercial cast bullets....now they are like $35-40 or so.

Iron Mike Golf
04-05-2012, 07:18 PM
I read DHS just let a huge contract to ATK for pistol and rifle ammo...

cf_coder
04-05-2012, 07:23 PM
I just picked up 7000 primers which should hold me over for the rest of this year. I don't shoot as much as some, but that's more tied to having to drive 45 minutes just to shoot... Arizona may have some of the best gun laws in the nation, but if you live in the phoenix area, you have to drive forever to get anywhere to shoot 'em up.

dragon813gt
04-05-2012, 07:32 PM
Please read everything about the ATK contract. It's nothing to worry about. Everyone is getting all worked up and IT WILL cause prices to go up. If everyone staid the course there would be little to worry about. I bought 15k primers and 18#s of powder due to my tax return. This is normal for me. I buy in bulk when I can afford to. And that will last me quite a while.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

fredj338
04-05-2012, 07:52 PM

I doubt that, when yo usee major suppliers w/ little to no stock on hand. Sure, they may be cutting abck on some manuf as the wars wind down, but I think many peopel are buyng big again in anticpation of further Obama regulations if he stays in office.:brokenima

SlippShodd
04-05-2012, 08:26 PM
I went into Sportsman's Warehouse today for no particular reason other than this thread had me curious. Cheap ammo running out the door. Primer shelves bare of the basics except for Large Rifle ($32/1000). NO Large Pistol. Small Pistol or Rifle if you wanted the Bench Rest or Target Competition versions. Powder and bullets were okay, with holes in a few really popular ones like HP-38, but all the Alliants and Winchesters that you could eat.
There's a gun show here next week. Should be interesting. At the last one I stocked up on LP primers 'cuz a guy there was selling them for $22/1000. I bought all he had. The lines have been long at the last couple shows, with folks clamoring to get in and get taken. This should be no exception, with the added joy of politicians gladhanding everyone and stoking the boilers.

mike

Dark Helmet
04-05-2012, 08:48 PM
Try this vet owned business. Free shipping, you pay hazmat on 5K. Has Berdan primers too. http://www.dagammo.com/shop/?main_page=index&cPath=6

04-05-2012, 09:36 PM
"...I don't like to pay hazmat."

Including Haz-Mat and shipping, I can still buy from Powder Valley or Widener's for much less than I can locally. I just saved approximately $11 per pound of powder and up to $17 per thousand primers.

There is no denying that prices have gone up considerably. For example, three-years ago, Powder Valley's price on Wolf large rifle primers was $15 per thousand. Today, they (Tula labeled) are $25. It wouldn't surprise me if prices continue to rise, as we edge toward the election.

johnho
04-05-2012, 09:54 PM
Powder Valley recently posted on facebook that they are not getting a lot of what they are ordering now. they said it looks like it may be worse than 2009. But if you go to their site they are still showing almost everything I use as in stock.

FWIW, if anyone doesn't think O is going after guns and ammo in his next term you kidding yourself. I suspect he will be re-elected and this time it will be much worse than the run on ammo and reloading supplies than the last time. There is nothing in the Constitution barring total controls over ammo and reloading supplies. Even if there were it wouldn't stop this guy.

Axton1
04-06-2012, 02:31 AM
Yep.
Gonna go thru the roof in price and said to be made out of "Unobtainium" around here!
When the 09 "crisis" hit, I was unprepared and got caught out without. [smilie=b:
Had to tell wife and 2 kids "No shooty" for awhile - couldn't get primers. Unhappy peeps around the house! Then daughter went off to college in '10 and no money for anyblamething for awhile. ehhhhhh well - still that way!;)
So, got together with couple of friends and brothers and purchased bulk a while back - from Graf's. So, siting flush with 8-10K of all types at the moment!:smile:
I don't hold it against a LGS for making a profit on items but, but when they want $38/per K of primers and I can get the same for $25/K online even WITH the hazmat fee, well - going use the card! Don't mind paying a LITTLE extra for helping local busy but, dang! I don't like to get gouged! (Well, feel like it - maybe they can't be any lower?) But even the online dealers are showing up OutofStock. You just have to keep an eye out and look for a sale! And if you think things are bad now, wait 'till they get WORSE! :kidding:

whammo7
04-06-2012, 04:44 AM
$40/k for small pistol primers here in so cal at Turners, and I hear $50 elsewhere.

I got 5k from Grafs but realize I should have bought 10.

In small pistol at least it looks a bit tough to find them online. Things are getting a bit scarce.

Funny, when I was in Ohio last month, everything was flush.

Here in socal, Turners was half empty of guns, and they're raising prices daily at the gunshows for ammo.

milprileb
04-06-2012, 06:22 AM
Try this vet owned business. Free shipping, you pay hazmat on 5K. Has Berdan primers too. http://www.dagammo.com/shop/?main_page=index&cPath=6

This is my source and he is stocked deep. More on the way. Good man to do business with. I find Tula primers to replicate Winchester primers in all my pet loads and I have shot over 25,000 Tula in the last year : all sizes. THey run well through my reloading machines in the primer tubes and they give 100%.

and they are available at great prices and no delays.

WHITETAIL
04-06-2012, 07:51 AM
You guys are right!:holysheep
The prices are going up, and up.
I just got a K of bench rest CCI LR
primers and the price was $50.00!

10mmShooter
04-06-2012, 08:59 AM
No issues to report in NC, I went in a gun show a month ago plenty of primers, picked up 5K of WSP for $130 a good price. Just two weeks ago went to another show cases of primers everywhere, got 5K of WLR for $150 ..not a bad price. Even Bass Pro has primers on the shelf....although only in 1k quanities. Our local overpriced large gun shop that will go unamed also has a good selection of primers in the 1K quanities.

So now issues in my area. I think some this is a bit of hype, maybe self-fullfilling prophecy. But as others have mentioned none of us want to get caught with our pants down like a few years ago. Hopefully everyone will not go crazy like they did before.

I also think things are different meaning even if everyone starts buying up components, the manufactures are more "ready" this go around, I think they will be poised to take advantage of the situation and really sell more product...rather that have shortages as before.

Lizard333
04-06-2012, 12:35 PM
I just ordered 40K primers last night. The guy I go through had to do some searching, but was able to find most of what I was looking for. As far as the CC1 41's and 35's, no luck.

I have never had a slam fire on my military rifles, but was going to go to the CCI's. Not going to now.

soldierbilly1
04-06-2012, 04:38 PM
Powder Valley recently posted on facebook that they are not getting a lot of what they are ordering now. they said it looks like it may be worse than 2009. But if you go to their site they are still showing almost everything I use as in stock.

FWIW, if anyone doesn't think O is going after guns and ammo in his next term you kidding yourself. I suspect he will be re-elected and this time it will be much worse than the run on ammo and reloading supplies than the last time. There is nothing in the Constitution barring total controls over ammo and reloading supplies. Even if there were it wouldn't stop this guy.

Unfortunately, his buddies on the left have recently gone after him on the gun control issue, esp after the Gabby Giffords and the CA thing with the guy at the Oikos Univ school. I understand that he has assured them that he will do things for the gun control crowd 'in a less obvious manner,' sort of a back door approach. Without the primers, we gots nothing but tomato stakes! the primer mfrs are licensed by the govt. yikes. Look out boys. Obongo must not be reelected.
billy boy

soldierbilly1
04-10-2012, 03:00 PM
You all scared the living hell out of me with the primers!
I went today to the local Cabelas out here in Hamburg, PA. This was the most primers and powder that I have ever seen in this store!

Anyways, this is only one observation. It would not surprise me if they are indeed getting tight nationally.

But, how would this affect the intro of the foreign made stuff like MagTech and Tula (sp)? they work, why aren't they putting more stuff out there? quite mysterious.

billy boy

dragon813gt
04-10-2012, 03:49 PM
Problem w/ Cabela's is cost. They are significantly more money if you are buying in bulk. But I did pick up a # of Clays Universal when I was at that same store last week. Only thing they were short on was 250 count boxes of Hornady bullets in all sizes.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

Catshooter
04-10-2012, 10:39 PM
Actually soldierbilly1 scaring the heck outa ya is a good idea if you didn't know what is coming. Or so some of us think.

There have been two major shortages in my shooting career. I was ok for both. The first just by pure d luck, the second due to planning. The second shortage was accompanied by many posters here and elsewhere that were wailing and whining. They had to pay huge prices for what they wanted, if they could find it.

The election is coming, and so is Obama.

Cat

soldierbilly1
04-11-2012, 12:30 PM
Actually soldierbilly1 scaring the heck outa ya is a good idea if you didn't know what is coming. Or so some of us think.

There have been two major shortages in my shooting career. I was ok for both. The first just by pure d luck, the second due to planning. The second shortage was accompanied by many posters here and elsewhere that were wailing and whining. They had to pay huge prices for what they wanted, if they could find it.

The election is coming, and so is Obama.

Cat

I am hoping that Obama is going, not coming

billy boy

Huntducks
04-11-2012, 02:56 PM
$40/k for small pistol primers here in so cal at Turners, and I hear $50 elsewhere.

I got 5k from Grafs but realize I should have bought 10.

In small pistol at least it looks a bit tough to find them online. Things are getting a bit scarce.

Funny, when I was in Ohio last month, everything was flush.

Here in socal, Turners was half empty of guns, and they're raising prices daily at the gunshows for ammo.

Why would you buy reloading stuff at Turners there are much cheaper places[smilie=s:

Catshooter
04-11-2012, 05:29 PM
soldierbilly,

I too am hoping that he is leaving. That doesn't mean he is though. If he goes and you stocked up, well, you just beat some inflation nicely.

If he stays and you didn't stock up, well, no thanks. I could see him signing an executive order (he loves 'em) that tacks say a five or six hundred percent tax on gun stuff. "For the childrens healthcare" you know. Or some such ****. Two hundred bucks a thousand for primers would keep me from reloading for sure.

Your mileage may vary and I could be totally wrong. Hope I am.

Cat

johnho
04-11-2012, 07:11 PM
I am a real pessimist with this guy and so far my fears have been proven. I expect he will make buying loaded ammo a major hassle by requiring identification and record keeping along with maximum limits and they will be small. Look at what the govt did with some over the counter meds, you can only buy so many in any period and they keep records on what you buy (these are the pills that have that stuff in them that can be made into meth-I take them for sinus headaches, the pills not the meth guys).

Regarding powder, primers and bullet tips I would expect some sort of licensing to buy components and again records kept on what you buy and possibly limits on those too. And watch the price increases for all this record keeping I would expect that no effort will be made to go after anyone who already has these items as there is no way to track it or it is just too hard to prove what anyone has. As for me, I shoot it as fast as i get it.

My thinking is why take any chances. Anyone who runs out this time has only themselves to blame. As to us casters, well, we have one of the three components pretty much covered, pitty those poor guys who don't cast.

remy3424
04-12-2012, 11:26 PM
Stopped by the local Scheels tonight, they had about everthing (primers) on hand, not huge quantities, but I got 6K to cover what I was low on. Prices, after a special they have going on was $28.99 average per brick with tax. Bought them out of 204 brass for a buddy, which helped get me a $25 discount on the purchase.

captaint
04-13-2012, 09:06 AM
I called one LGS last week and asked about primers. Yeah, we have Fed, CCI and Win - OK, how much are they?? $3.95. NO, I don't mean 100, for 1000 or so. Oh, we only sell them in the 100 trays. I said, Yeah, 40 bucks a thou - no thanks..... enjoy MIke

Rockchucker
04-13-2012, 10:05 AM
I just split an order with my son on 10,000 large and small primers thru the gun club that has an ffl license and the shipping fees are split with other members too. Our cost for CCI and Federal was 25.00 per 1000. Seems there is a lot of mark up in primers, depending on where you buy.