PDA

View Full Version : Crimping without sizing?

DanLee
04-03-2012, 05:12 PM
I'm looking for a way to crimp gas checks without sizing the bullet. It occurred to me that the collet principle that Lee uses on their Factory Crimp Dies might work, but damn if I know if it's actually practicable. Anybody tried it?

Dan

DeanWinchester
04-03-2012, 05:14 PM
Why not get a sizer the same size as your boolit. It won't size it down and it will crimp the check in place.

One of my favorite boolits falls .311 and I use a Lee .311 sizer. Works like a charm.

runfiverun
04-03-2012, 09:30 PM
i messed with a crimp die to crimp on checks beffore i had the appropriate sizer.
a case filled with lead high enough to sit the boolit on where the crimp normally goes, lower the handle to just below the crimp point, set the boolit/check on there and crimp.
you'll have to experiment a little with the die height, etc, to get the amount of crimp you want.

44man
04-04-2012, 09:08 AM
Yes, it works. I had to make a few parts, have to find them, to get the boolit just right in the FCD.

williamwaco
04-04-2012, 11:15 AM
The Lyman 4500 has a gas check seater that will do that.

I expect it will work with the other Lyman sizers too.

Check and see if it is available separately.

Ola
04-04-2012, 12:01 PM
"Those who prefer to shoot bullets “as cast” will appreciate SAECO’s exclusive swing out gas check seater which allows the option of seating gas checks without sizing."
http://www.redding-reloading.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=80:saeco-lubri-sizer

wallenba
04-04-2012, 12:13 PM
Try using a Hornady collet bullet puller mounted upside down in a powder stand. I do this to 'shrink' the gas check shanks on a couple of my molds that make them too big. You might have to buy a few collets to get the one that works best.