PDA

View Full Version : Machinists - Skeletonized Grip Cap

Bren R.
04-03-2012, 02:14 PM
I've got a project hunting rifle on the go... and I'm looking to have a custom skeletonized pistol grip cap made for it. I'm a wood guy - milling it is beyond my capabilities.

Here's a view of the front (off axis)... the back (off axis) and the back flat... I DO have technical drawings, PM me if you want to see them.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_219884f7b3a5105f83.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=4693)

Overall size is 1.745" L x 1.280" W x 0.250" D... in brass. Wondering what it would cost to get one of you guys to make it.

Bren R.

MBTcustom
04-03-2012, 04:31 PM
I cant see the pictures on this computer, but I might be able to help you. Let me look at it tonight.

Bren R.
04-03-2012, 06:00 PM
Hi, Tim...

I sent you an email to your gmail account with the photos and tech drawings.

Thanks in advance!

Bren R.

Tokarev
04-04-2012, 01:50 PM
From the looks of it your best bet is to cast your own.

LEADHOPPER
04-04-2012, 02:41 PM
I'll shoot you a PM with my email address. Shouldn't take long to do that.

LH

Bren R.
05-04-2012, 11:37 AM
After giving up on the design, I was over at Red River Rick's last week picking up a set of mold handles (which I should mention are almost half the price and head and shoulders above the Lyman ones) and the topic came up - he could mill the part for me.

We changed the material back to s/s like I originally wanted and put in a ball-end scallop around it.

Got pictures of the completed part this morning.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/17084fa355e233d18.jpg

Looks absolutely perfect and made 40 minutes from me.

Thanks again, Rick... can't wait to cut the Cocobolo insert for it for my .358 Win Savage build!

Bren R.

Tokarev
05-04-2012, 01:44 PM
Good craftsmanship. Wast it on a CNC or conventional?

Bren R.
05-04-2012, 02:55 PM
CNC... I just wish I'd met him BEFORE I ordered a urethane replica of the original cap.

Oh, well... that one will end up on a stock I'm repairing and refinishing for another guy.

Bren R.

DeanWinchester
05-04-2012, 02:59 PM
Good craftsmanship. Wast it on a CNC or conventional?

It would have had to be a CNC mill. That would really be impressive if he'd done that on a bridgeport type mill. It would require tooling and fixtures that have not been around since WWII or before.

MBTcustom
05-04-2012, 03:20 PM
Good to see you got it done. CNC is a wonderful thing!

theperfessor
05-04-2012, 08:24 PM
Not impossible on manual equipment (vertical mill with a rotary table) but definitely more time consuming. A very nice outcome.

MBTcustom
05-04-2012, 10:52 PM
Not impossible on manual equipment (vertical mill with a rotary table) but definitely more time consuming. A very nice outcome
That's exactly how I was going to do it. However it was complicated by the fact that its not a circle; its more of a rhombus. I'm glad that RRR was able to take care of it. What would have taken me about 8 hours, probably took him only 1.
Awesome work!

trevj
05-08-2012, 06:32 PM
I've done some multi-radius cams with a manual mill and a rotary table, offsetting the various radii using gage blocks and parallel bars. It's a very time consuming process, and a grand way to scrap a part after having many hours into it.

CNC is great for shapes like this!

As nice looking as those sharp corners are in the original views, they are a right pain to make Rounded inside corners are easier to make, and I don't think they are any more fiddly to inlet.

Cheers
Trev

Bren R.
05-08-2012, 06:46 PM
Well, I always knew there would be a radius on those inside corners, whether in the range of a few thou if it was done EDM or the toolhead radius if it was done CNC... so I didn't bother drawing it in.

Finally getting a chance to pick up the part tonight.

Bren R.