PDA

View Full Version : New ebay/pay pal screw........

Gussy
04-02-2007, 02:39 PM
I won an item on ebay and as usual, to speed it up, I used pay pal. The money was deducted from my checking account that day, BUT the seller said he had to wait for the "e-check" to clear. I got notice from pay pal that payment cleared 5 days later and the product shipped a week later (2 days after "clearing").

NOW THEN, pay pal had my money for 5 days. If they have everyones money for 5 days, that would probably be many millions (my guess only). Figure the interest for 5 days on many millions!!!!

I for one will now pay for items with a direct credit card, to the seller. Pay pal can shove it.
Gus

imashooter2
04-02-2007, 02:45 PM
How did you think they paid for their "free" service?

Tom Myers
04-02-2007, 03:15 PM
Gus

I don't know if this is correct, or not, but it was explained to me that when Pay Pal pays directly from your BANK ACCOUNT, it is just like you were to write a check on your account, and the recipient of the check then has to wait for the so-called clearing time before the amount is credited to his or her account.

I keep a balance in a Pay Pal account and make payments from that balance or directly from my credit card, through Pay Pal, and the transfer is instantaneous and no fee is charged. When I receive a payment through Pay Pal that payment is immediately credited to my account and is available for me to use. The fee is generally about 2.9% of the amount of the transaction and, for my purposes, I am happy to pay that for the security, simplicity and convienience of transactions.

If I transfer money from my Pay Pal account to my bank acount, The bank immediatly has a record of the transaction but there is a waiting period before my bank account is credited, but that is just my bank doing it's usual thing and using the money for a few days before I can use it.

If I choose, I can have the money that is in my Pay Pal account draw interest but I haven't looked into that yet.

All in all, it seems to work quite well for me but that is just my opinion and we all know what those are worth.

Have fun,

Tom Myers
Precision Ballistics and Records (http://www.uslink.net/%7Etom1/)

Springfield
04-02-2007, 03:37 PM
e-checks take longer, I prefer to use the money in my Paypal account. That's nice that you would prefer to pay directly using your credit card, but I for one don't take them. Paypal is easier and cheaper.

felix
04-02-2007, 03:49 PM
I like to pay by personal check. Any other method I would expect a discount from the vendor. If fact, my preference is a direct wire of funds to and from my account. If your bank does not do a freebee for you, change banks. ... felix

Gussy
04-02-2007, 05:32 PM
I have paid for several items before using the same system and there was never a delay or "clearing time". I have recieved items as fast as 3 days after winning an item.

My credit card system charges me 1.5-1.99% for transactions, ebay is near 3%.

Why now?
Gus

leftiye
04-02-2007, 05:56 PM
Gussy, Check with paypal concerning if they have a problem with your credit card info. They're too assinine to send you an email, they just start using "E-Checks" until you contact them. The credit card transfers are instantaneous, But for some reason, an e-check clears like a regular check (it goes through the checking account, not through the credit card). This happens to me every time my credit card expiration date comes up, and the bank issues a new card.

dnepr
04-02-2007, 06:16 PM
I stay as far away from paypal as I can . If everything is working good it is a useful system but try to get ahold of someone when it screws up , I ran into this and the account sits dead to this day , I had a coworker get screwed on his paypal account for a couple hundred bucks . There was some wierd **** going on . money was being deposited and withdrawn from his account and he couldn't figure out how . again no one to get ahold of, nothing he could do but not use the account anymore. paypal is bad mojo in my books.

tomf52
04-02-2007, 08:28 PM
PayPal is also notoriously anti gun.

uscra112
04-02-2007, 08:37 PM
Yup, no PayPal on my eBay. As far as I'm concerned that's one more chance for somebody to "lose", or "mistakenly publish" or whatever euphemism you care to use, and my CC # is in the public domain. I will NEVER have aPayPal account, and I let sellers, know it when the opportunity arises.

Freightman
04-03-2007, 10:43 AM
Bid Pay is gun friendly ck them out. The reason I know this is Gunbroker sent me a notice, seems that some of their customers had their PayPal accounts frozen when the word gun or firearms was used.

montana_charlie
04-03-2007, 12:39 PM
PayPal is also notoriously anti gun.
Here we go...again

DLCTEX
04-03-2007, 01:42 PM
This is a myth that just will not die. I'm not going to waste my time trying to convince anyone otherwise, the truth is out there if you want it. E Bay is still the best market for firearm related products, buying or selling. Our own attempts at starting a gun friendly market failed simply because our customer base could not compete with the base had by E Bay. Just look at the astounding prices paid for items there. I would like to support a gun friendly site with my business, but realistically I can't afford to take less for my items because they fund my addiction to shooting. I'm always needing a bigger fix than I'm getting, my wish list is extremely long. PAY PAL is the safest method I've found for transfer of funds. The USPS has failed me at times by possibly losing the envelope? At least the seller claims he never got it. The fee they charge is worth it to me, I will not put my credit card info. out there where I don't know who has access to it. I do not ask Pay Pal to provide this service for free, I wouldn't do it for twice the money. I don't understand people complaining about someone charging for a service I want. I will continue to sell items on EBay and laugh all the way to the bank about how someone was willing to pay 100 times more than all the people at the auction where I bought it. Just my dos centavos. Dale

Scrounger
04-03-2007, 02:37 PM
I echo your comments on EBAY and PayPal, Dale

Gussy
04-03-2007, 03:07 PM
leftiye, You may have hit on it. I did have to go to pay pal and up date a card, but that was at least 2 months ago. I never have checked back to see if it was done.
Gus

Boomer Mikey
04-03-2007, 03:16 PM
I've used Pay Pal for hundreds of transactions with the least amount of problems compared to any other system I’ve used.

Once you setup your account with a verified credit card to cover your bank account, purchases are paid for instantly.

Adding UPS and USPS services to your Pay Pal account is a no-brainer and even more convenient.

Although the fees are somewhat expensive, the service is exemplary.

I've purchased and sold dozens of authorized eBay gun, firearms, and reloading items with zero problems.

I guess it boils down to the opinion about a glass that’s either half full or half empty.

I stopped standing in the bank teller line 10 years ago,

Boomer :Fire:

leftiye
04-03-2007, 08:01 PM
Gussy, Doesn't that sound about right? You fixed it two months ago, and they lost it? Sounds about right to me! Seems that was what happened to me too. Y'all do remember that fleabay owns Paypal, eh? Sounds like the NRA to me- sucks except it's the only game in town?