PDA

View Full Version : Met some nice fellas at the range.

frkelly74
04-02-2012, 10:55 AM
I took my new/ old 22 Remington that I just installed an old peep sight on to see where it would shoot and as usual in nice weather the range was packed. It is the very last of the free ranges around here and is popular ,though not so much with the increasing population of homeowners in the neighborhood . There were, I noticed several Asian people standing around a bench with an air rifle of the kind that uses those pint sized bottles of compressed air for "Fuel". They were having trouble getting something tightened up on the bi-pod so I walked up with my tool box and asked if they needed some tools. There was a little bit of a language barrier and hearing protection compounded the problem , but I soon learned that all they needed was an allen wrench of the proper size which I loaned them and they were ready to shoot. I also found that they were from China and attending Western Michigan University. They wanted to shoot something but not being citizens , had gotten the most sophisicated air rifle they could find and were going to shoot that. They also had bought some accessories yo go with it including a fiber optic rear sight , but no front sight . a laser sight and a 24 power scope all of which was mounted and were attempting to sight in. But first they had to pump up the cylinders with a hand pump. the cylinders have a capacity of 3000 PSI and they took turns pumping and finally got to about 1800 and decided to try it. It worked the gun was impressive and they had no trouble getting zeroed once they put the target close . the pellets were supersonic and made a loud noise , louder than I expected. The gun was capable of fine accuracy also and they were surprisingly good with it. So they looked like they had fun.

I was especially interested in talking with them because three of our kids came from China and I was drawn to helping them. I was also able to keep them from getting into a fracas with some of the locals who are not too tolerant of not fluent in English type people. How do you say cease fire in Chinese? I have no idea but sign language can be effective. I hope they come back and I can maybe shoot with them again. When they were leaving they handed me the rest of their shoot-n-see targets which I found to be a lot of fun.

People do come from all over the world to shoot at the Allegan gun range, How bout that. " Deep in the heart of the Great Allegan Forest, By the shores of the mighty Kalamazoo"........

Ed Barrett
04-04-2012, 01:32 AM
I've found 99% of the people I meet at the range are first rate. Please don't talk to me about the other 1 percent.

boltons75
04-04-2012, 02:13 AM
Hmm, free range, might have to stop by there next time I'm in the area.

missionary5155
04-04-2012, 05:16 AM
Good morning frkelly74
Good for you. You are the kind of people visitors hope to find still alive in the land of the free. Too many choose to forget our country is the great melting pot of immigrants. My dad was a little feller when his dad got out of Europe through Poland in the late 20's on the USS United States. Something about not wanting to spend another lifetime in the trenches for the motherland. Been in Peru 26 years and never heard anyone say I want to go to a commy land. When asked why Freedom comes up real fast.
I grew up in Riverside and for years our twice a month weekend was head to Allegan campgroungs at Eli Lake. Marvelous place out in the middle of the forest for a young kid to run and get lost out on the trail systen. Saw my first turkey out there. And the funny stories that floated about of K town.
I digress... Keep up the good international relations!
Mike in Peru
Mike in Peru

Ugluk
04-04-2012, 09:01 AM
They've come all the way from china and get to shoot an air rifle? Life is cruel for some people.

Why not let them try something more exciting if you meet them again?
Cheers

3006guns
04-04-2012, 09:13 AM
They've come all the way from china and get to shoot an air rifle? Life is cruel for some people.

Cheers

I was about to say....surely someone there could have loaned them a .22! Let 'em shoot something with a "western" flair so they have a topic of discussion back home.

frkelly74
04-04-2012, 10:28 AM

Cheers

I will try to do just that.

Ugluk
04-04-2012, 11:52 AM
I will try to do just that.

I had a nagging feeling that you would do just that even if no one had suggested it..
It just feels like the right thing to do..:D

wallenba
04-04-2012, 12:01 PM
I've heard that air rifles are big in China. EABCO sells some of them from China http://www.eabco.com/Chinese_QB78_Air_Rifles.html

clintsfolly
04-04-2012, 12:21 PM
A good friend's son was in a military school and had a sister school in China. On of the thing they did was student exchange. At one point the exchange students are to come and visit there host's home for the weekend. That weekend Greg planned a lot of things. started with jet skiing,bonfire. Atv riding ,trip to the rifle range then a ride in a small airplane. While at his home he showed them his guns 25-30! He asked me to help as SO at the range. At the range we shoot 22 rifles and handguns,AR15, shotgun, my 9mm 1911,45acp 1911, my 44mag then my 458AccRel rifle. the kids had never shot gun and the only gun they had ever seen where in the hands of police and the army. At one point they where worried that we would get in trouble for shooting the guns!! Was a great day to watch them grow less afraid and have fun shooting. Later Greg said that it may have been a great thing for them to see all the guns and shooting "Those kid are the future leader of China and know we are armed and know how to use them!!" Clint

Ola
04-04-2012, 12:42 PM
If you ever meet someone from UK in the range, let them shoot with a pistol or revolver. I have done it couple of times. Afterwards they told me it was the high point of their trip.

blademasterii
04-04-2012, 09:07 PM
One of the guys i work with has a gf that lives in the UK. She comes over here when she can and he is planning a trip at the end of the month over there. He helps her run her business from the tech end. He said next time she is here she would like to shoot a gun.. Told him no problem. Let me know when and i'll load up some rounds for the BFR. :D Nothing like an introduction to shooting with a 45 70 pistol. :D He declined but took me up on the offer of a .22 or two. :D