PDA

View Full Version : Will I blow up !

brudford
04-02-2012, 06:32 AM
I just purchased a Lee perfect powder stand-alone measure . I'am currently using it for Unique smokeless powder for my Low Wall 38-40 Uberti . I usually only reload 2f with a powder dipper for my 38-40 . I have read the experiment the guy did with the static electric test , I have read numerous testaments how it is perfectly safe and it's the Lawyers telling me not to use the Lee measure for BP . Also been told it is the greedy reloading companies trying to sell me a 150.00 $ measure with brass componets and a steel hopper . I have already decided I'am going to by a measure just for black powder just in case there is just a small amount of truth as to why I should not ! I just wanted to get the forums members feelings on this subject just as it compared to the Lee only powder measure and no others . Thanks

zuke
04-02-2012, 09:05 AM
I've used mine for black more then once.
Call LEE and ask them,they'll tell you da truth

John Boy
04-02-2012, 09:37 AM
I have 2 Lee Perfect Powder Measures and have used them to load thousands of BPCR reloads. I also smoke my pipe while I'm reloading. Not to be advised ;)

This subject has been discussed many times on many forums over the years and contrary to the warning from manufacturers, have yet to read that anyone has been harmed reloading black powder in any powder charger, including the Lee

badgeredd
04-02-2012, 11:14 AM
I've used mine for black more then once.
Call LEE and ask them,they'll tell you da truth

Good advice! Caution is likely the best track to follow. I use brass and aluminum in BP to be on the safe side, but that's me. It only takes once to ruin your day...and many others.

Edd

oldracer
04-02-2012, 11:59 AM
I have used my RCBS measure since I started reloading BP about two years ago. I too read all the info both in preint and on the inet and from what I can see it is safe. Mine is a plastic and steel unit.

Skipper
04-02-2012, 12:00 PM
If it worries you, put a ground wire on it.

montana_charlie
04-02-2012, 12:55 PM
I have already decided I'am going to by a measure just for black powder
It's your money ...

Chicken Thief
04-02-2012, 01:32 PM
I think my Lee PPM has dispensed more than 200lbs of BP and more than 50lbs of smokeless with no issues. BP will crush and the dust will over time "eat" the gasket.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Skydning/R0010393.jpg

John Boy
04-02-2012, 02:19 PM
BP will crush and the dust will over time "eat" the gasket.
And pit the brass rotaries and steel casings of chargers when exposed to humidity if not properly cleaned after each use

bydand
04-02-2012, 03:50 PM
Well I did buy a Lyman black powder measure, and I use the aluminum Drop tube with it.

AkMike
04-02-2012, 04:53 PM
Take a small pile of BP and light it with a match (outside). It burns hot and fast but no you won't blow up.

Seth Hawkins
04-02-2012, 07:20 PM
Yes. You will.

I can't recall the number of times I've used mine to reload BP, and each & every time it has blown-up in my face & killed me dead.

Don't let it happen to you. Don't become another statistic.

Static & Black Powder - The Killer Combo

note: no plastic was harmed whilst typing this BS

Lead pot
04-02-2012, 09:20 PM
Yea but you know Seth, there is always the knot head that will do something screwy to have that thing blow and he will get himself a high priced mouth piece and blame the guy that told him it's safe to get a big settlement.
This world aint what it used to be.
Questions like this are just made for this to happen.

zuke
04-02-2012, 10:11 PM
Yea but you know Seth, there is always the knot head that will do something screwy to have that thing blow and he will get himself a high priced mouth piece and blame the guy that told him it's safe to get a big settlement.
This world aint what it used to be.
Questions like this are just made for this to happen.

The OP asked an honest question, and I believe he's received more then one honest answer.

Lead pot
04-03-2012, 08:37 AM
zuke.

My comment wasn't meant for him or anyone that posted.
There are some out there that will do this. I will not post anything loaded with powder other then black.
I was shown a Shiloh rifle that a guy used a case full of smokeless powder because it was black in color.
By the way the action held but split the barrel

zuke
04-03-2012, 09:32 AM
zuke.

My comment wasn't meant for him or anyone that posted.
There are some out there that will do this. I will not post anything loaded with powder other then black.
I was shown a Shiloh rifle that a guy used a case full of smokeless powder because it was black in color.
By the way the action held but split the barrel

I remember seeing a youtube vid on a TC muzzle loader barrel that someone used smokeless powder in.
Yep the powder was black in colour,and the barrel was scrap.

RMulhern
04-03-2012, 04:35 PM
There's 10,000 IDIOTS born every 30 seconds! One of 'em....came from Kenya!!

John Boy
04-05-2012, 08:42 AM
Lead pot, this is similar to a poster on the SASS Wire a few years back. He argued for the whole thread that he should fill a 45 Colt case to the lips with Red Dot because he wanted to fill up the air space

There are folks that should be arrested for Impersonating a Human Being

Ramar
04-06-2012, 07:18 AM
John Boy "There are folks that should be arrested for Impersonating a Human Being"

I really like that!!
Ramar