PDA

View Full Version : 22 battor top punch

dancast
03-31-2012, 05:31 PM
hi lead shooters,
some time ago, i purchased the 22cal battor 6 cavity mold. well i finally casted some bullets, and now i want to size and lube them. looking at the bullet, it has a big round head, and does not appear that my lyman 415 top punch may not work.
so my question is, which top punch will work with the battor bullet? thanks...dancast

theperfessor
03-31-2012, 06:20 PM
I can help you with that. See my sig line.

softpoint
03-31-2012, 08:20 PM
I need the exact same top punch for a bator .22 mold. I'll PM you

ku4hx
04-01-2012, 07:21 AM
A properly fitted all metal top punch is preferable, but you can custom make one with your existing punch and a small dollop of epoxy. Degrease the punch, apply the dollop into the nose, let it partially set then press an oiled boolit tip down into the epoxy. Voila ... one custom TP. Mold release will work in place of oil. But the secret is to let the epoxy set just long enough to start the development of a "skin" and to let the boolit rest until the epoxy hardens.

I've got several I made in the early years of my casting (1970s) and the epoxy is still working fine.

dancast
04-01-2012, 08:56 AM
hi ku4hx,
thanks for the idea, looking to buy something off the shelf. might have to go with some thing like a round nose 32cal top punch, but looking at 22cal.
thanks....dancast

ku4hx
04-01-2012, 09:09 AM
hi ku4hx,
thanks for the idea, looking to buy something off the shelf. might have to go with some thing like a round nose 32cal top punch, but looking at 22cal.
thanks....dancast

Sure, you're welcome. Like I said, all metal is preferable, I just like options.