PDA

View Full Version : seating cast boolits into the lands?

jeff223
04-01-2007, 05:45 PM
how far are you guys seating cast boolits into the lands for the best accuracy?

ive tried it just off the lands,just touching the lands and engraved into the lands from just alittle to quite alot with the same results?????

Bullshop
04-01-2007, 06:10 PM
I just never can get top accuracy with boolits if there is any jump there. A real simple rule though not exactly accurate is I want to see about half a caliber of engraving on the boolit of a chamberd and withdrawn round.
As they say milage may vary.
bic/bs

buck1
04-01-2007, 06:12 PM
I seat them out as far as I can ,without pulling the boolit when I open the action...........Buck

jeff223
04-01-2007, 07:07 PM
i was shooting my 357max Contender today at the range today and i had a bunch of ammo to test with boolits seated just into the lands and some seated long into the lands.to make a long story short i ended up pulling a round from my chamber leaving the boolit engraved in the lands.i guess i better seat the boolits alittle deeper in the case from now on

i did find out one thing at the range today.my alox lubed boolits gave better accuracy than my pan lubed boolits with the same loads.dont know why that would be????shooting these cast boolits are quite interesting to figure out i must say.just little changes in something you do with lube and loads can have a big effect on the accuracy.

buck1
04-01-2007, 07:23 PM
I found the Lee factory crimp die works well to prevent that.........Buck

[QUOTE=jeff223;167731]i was shooting my 357max Contender today at the range today and i had a bunch of ammo to test with boolits seated just into the lands and some seated long into the lands.to make a long story short i ended up pulling a round from my chamber leaving the boolit engraved in the lands.i guess i better seat the boolits alittle deeper in the case from now onQUOTE]

jhalcott
04-01-2007, 10:44 PM
Jeff, GENERALLY seated into the lands gives better accuracy. SOME times a short jump will give a particular bullet the best accuracy. If I have a bullet that shoots good ,I'll experiment with seating depth to see if I can get excellent results. If it doesn't work out,I can always remelt them after digging them out of the berm!

Buckshot
04-02-2007, 06:23 AM
...............If you're boolits are seated co-axially engraving helps ensure a straight start (or straight-ER) start. A by product is it also increases resistance/inertia, so it raises pressure some. Possibly increasing shot to shot consistancy.

..............Buckshot

Bass Ackward
04-02-2007, 07:26 AM
I try everything, but in the end, I need to engrave to make them work best. The amount of engraving really depends on the bullet design, hardness, and my powder speed. My biggest problem is maintaining enough neck tension to keep seating depth (case volume) the same. So I err on the side of light.

I paint on a band of LLA and dust it with motor mica where the bullet is going to contact to aid in this endeavor. Gotta use up that stuff somehow.