PDA

View Full Version : Easy Cheap Really Good Easter Egg Dye

Linstrum
04-01-2007, 10:23 AM
One Easter back thirty-something years ago when I was still doing Easter eggs for kids, the stores ran out of dye kits. I couldn't let the kids down, so I bought a bunch of different flavors of unsweetened Kool-Aid instead and I have never looked back.

To speed things up, mix 2 envelopes of the same color unsweetened Kool-Aid in one or two cups warm water and then pour into a gallon-size ziploc plastic bag with the eggs to be dyed in it instead of dunking them one or two at a time in a bowl. Pull them out and let them dry off. That's it. The eggs are still quite edible, unless of course the kids don't find them and they end up sitting out in the weeds under a hot sun all day, especially with a cracked shell.

Blue Moon Berry or Green Kiwi-Lime flavored hard boiled eggs are a bit of an unusual treat for adults, but kids love the idea of the flavors the Kool-Aid imparts right through the shell. Gives new meaning to "Green Eggs and Ham".

Have fun!

Linstrum
04-04-2012, 04:06 AM
It is that time of year again! Easter is in a few days, so if you want to try this for your kids make sure to get some eggs and Kool-Aid.

Happy Easter!

rl 1086

Linstrum
03-22-2013, 10:29 PM
Easter is coming up again, so if you do Easter eggs keep this in mind. Have fun!

rl 1,181

Sweetpea
03-22-2013, 10:54 PM
And here I thought this thread was going to be about using ben's red, LBT blue, and speed green to color your eggs...

Linstrum
03-23-2013, 07:55 AM
Quote: "And here I thought this thread was going to be about using ben's red, LBT blue, and speed green to color your eggs..."

Maybe next time!

rl 1,182

Dale in Louisiana
03-23-2013, 05:13 PM
When I was a kid, it always seemed that sometime after Easter Dad would discover one of the eggs we missed when it went through the lawnmower...

dale in Louisiana

Linstrum
03-23-2013, 06:55 PM
Hey, dale in Louisiana, now that's something I never had happen to me. I wonder how bad hard boiled eggs stink after they've been out in the tall grass for a week or two!

Back when I had chickens I had a bunch of them that escaped and went wild living in the trees and bushes around the farm because we kept the foxes and coyotes hunted off, so there wasn't anything to kill the chickens. One time I was mowing down the tall weeds out along the fence and all of a sudden I had chicken feathers flying all over, so fearing the worst that I had mowed a chicken in the grass I looked, but the chicken was okay, just minus some of its tail feathers! It was a hen that was sitting on her clutch of eggs and when the mower went over the top of her she ducked. I piled a bunch of brush back over her and let her be, and she hatched her eggs. World's luckiest chicken. For those of you who have never been around chickens, when a hen is sitting on her nest she won't spook and you can step right on them before they flush like a pheasant. The chickens I had were real beautiful Asian jungle fowl that some folks like to use for cock fighting. I raised them for show and had some just gorgeous roosters, all metallic green, blue, orange, with big gold ruffs around their necks. Come sundown they'd fly 50-60 feet straight up into the tops of the pepper and eucalyptus trees around the yard, and come sunup they'd glide back down to the ground, so some chickens can fly pretty darned good.

rl 1,183

Silver Eagle
03-24-2013, 01:35 AM
Dad always used the recipe on the side of food coloring boxes. Used white vinegar, water and food coloring. They also had a chart to showing how to make other colors than the ones included in the box.

Linstrum
03-24-2013, 07:57 AM
Yep, food coloring and vinegar work great! Back 100 years ago my grandmother used red onion skins and vinegar for pink Easter eggs. The nice thing about using Kool Aid is that everything you need to dye the eggs is already in the packet, all you do is open it up and dump into a zip lock bag, add water and hard boiled eggs, and you are done. Food coloring and vinegar don't make flavored eggs, either.

rl 1,184

reloader28
03-24-2013, 11:28 AM
Dont think I could eat a cherry or a blue rasberry flavored egg.
I like the idea, but thats just sick and wrong!

Smijen48
03-25-2013, 12:22 PM
Linstrum Thank You so much for the Kool-Aid idea. Went out and bought lots of Kool-Aid the kids and Grand kids are excited! My 5 year granddaughter said Linstrum sure is a smart egg colorer!

Linstrum
03-27-2013, 12:52 PM
reloader28, well Kool Aid doesn't make hard boiled egg flavored soft drink mix, so you just kind of have to go with what flavors they already have!

Smijen48, I'm glad your grandkids are into it. One time we took all the left over Kool Aid we had from dying a bunch of eggs and mixed all the colors together and came out with a dark purplish gray, so we made two or three eggs that color, too. Probably work good for camouflage eggs.

rl 1,185