PDA

View Full Version : 358-140 swc

Axton1
03-30-2012, 12:36 AM
Whelp,

Got a chance to shoot a few of my home-made boolits this week! Using a Lee 358140SWC 6-banger mold. Hoping to get some plinker rounds for pratice.
First pours for me - they didn't look all that great but they sized up OK and shot decent. (I didn't have the mold hot enough to begin with and I kept getting a finger on the sprue cutter handle and opening the mold a wee bit.) Had to discard a bunch back to the melt pile but, got a 100+ out that went to the range!
I tumble lubed (straight LLA - yep, Gundark snot) sized and then a small second tumble lubing. Loaded about 25 each with 3.5g, 3.7 and 4.0 of Bullseye, shot out of a S&W model 19, 6" barrel. I would post the fps but I SUCK using my Chrony! Forgot the shades for it and got silly readings. Useless! I have yet to get the hang of speed measurements with pistols on that thing!
Best thing was that the 3.7g BE gave the best accuracy - at 30 feet, could cover all 25 with a pop can! (yes, I know - this thread is worthless without pics! Working on that!) They leave a nice hole thru paper and should save a bit on lead versus my usual 158g j-words that I normaly load with. I had a small amount of leading at the beginning of the barrel but, it came right out without much effort - didn't see any drop in accuracy while shooting. Gonna get some Johnson's and make up some home lube as I've read here to try to get away from the snot part.
The good info posted here has helped a lot!
I'm on my way as they say! Now for the 380's the 40S&W, the 30-30........ - oh garsh! What have I gotten myself into here?![smilie=b:
A1

shooting on a shoestring
03-30-2012, 06:57 AM
Ahh...... a 6 inch Model 19. Great piece. The Lee 140 is also a fine boolit. Bullseye, good choice. You might try a little bit of tin or pewter to help reduce your scrap rate when casting. It doesn't take much, and cast hot enough to see a frosty edge or corner.

Yep you're on the right track. Press onward. Make more boolits, shoot more. That pop can sized group at 30 feet can be done at 30 yards with that nice Smith, good boolit and Bullseye.

Keep at it, you're just on the verge of an addiction.

Axton1
04-04-2012, 12:45 AM
Yep,
Bought that 19 for my 21'st Birfday - first gun I ever purchased. All legal-like NIB - from a State Trooper with a FFL for 10 bucks over cost! 29 years ago now.....WHEW!
I have always been interested in being "self-sufficient" so to speak.
Do my own garden, repair my own plumbing, electrical, aplliance, auto mechanical, etc.
So reloading my own shotshells, pistols, rifles fits in perfect - along with the fishing huning bit.
Now to make my own boolits...........goes along with making my own fishing lures.
Maybe I'll find I can make my own brass too............
So many things to try - so few days to try them!
Some of us are still working yannow!(And like a dog!)
Thanks for the tip SOaS - I'll put that to good use.

Shiloh
04-04-2012, 04:54 PM
I like that boo;it as well as the 105 SWC

Shiloh

ScottJ
04-07-2012, 01:02 PM
A well-used 2 cav of that boolit was my first .358 and also first used purchase ($10 at a gun show).

It is still my most accurate in the caliber in either .38 Special or .357 Mag.

I keep telling myself I ought to get a 6 cav of it.