PDA

View Full Version : May have hit the Jackpot

Tango2020
03-29-2012, 08:48 PM
I was at the Smith today and a fella came and we started talking. He is a CC instructor and has a range. He also said the local PD is now using his range for practice. I told him the trouble I have been having getting tire guys to let go if there WW. He said that he would soon need his Bank dug out so he can build it back up and I could have the lead if I wanted to dig it out.

I happen to have a back hoe and a dump trailer that should work nicely for sifting. Never dealt with range lead before. How does it smelt out and what BHN could I expect?

Quigley284
03-29-2012, 09:26 PM
Tango, It melts out fine. Around 8 to 10 from what I have checked. It all depends on what they are shooting. Just be careful when adding bullets to a full pot of lead. Stuff in ground will usually have to moisture in it. Keep a small amount of lead in what ever you melt them in and the moisture will have time to cook off. Just be careful and don't forget your PPE. Hope this helps, Mike

Tango2020
03-29-2012, 09:59 PM
thanks Mike

Mk42gunner
03-29-2012, 11:00 PM
Also be careful of any total metal jackets, I have read that they sometimes eject molten lead rather forcefully if the jacket isn't ruptured first. May be a myth, but I would put a lid on the pot.

Robert

troy_mclure
03-29-2012, 11:55 PM
Yep, I put a pot full of them (rainier ballistics) in my pot. I ended up with a workbench of lead wool.

Jim Flinchbaugh
03-29-2012, 11:58 PM
I crack those FMJ's with a hammer first to split the jacket

SlippShodd
03-30-2012, 01:52 AM
I've had that happen a couple times lately. One of the plated bullets on top just squirted a hair thin stream of lead straight in the air. I'd smacked them all with a ball peen hammer, but apparently didn't get that one opened up well. Fortunately I was a ways off walking toward the pot at the time and just got to see it rather than feel it. Lead wool is right.
Another thing seems to be JHPs with their noses plugged with dirt will just kinda let go all at once. That one got me square in the chest a week or so ago.
Gonna start leaving the lid on a little longer from now on, and that new face shield I picked up at Harbor Freight is gonna feel right comfortable.

mike

Mal Paso
03-30-2012, 09:15 AM
+1 for Backhoe.

How will you process the dirt? I do range cleanup with a loader and would really like to see what you come up with.

Tango2020
03-30-2012, 12:12 PM
Thanks for all the good advice. I have been needing a full face shield for a while anyway.

runfiverun
03-30-2012, 02:04 PM
just like gold mining.
for every nugget there is waay more little stuff.
set up for the bits and pieces the big ones will take care off themselves.

AndyC
03-30-2012, 02:07 PM
Check out the Lead and lead alloys (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?f=57) sub-forum - we have a lot of guys swapping tips concerning range-mining and smelting down range scrap there.

Tango2020
03-30-2012, 03:41 PM
Check out the Lead and lead alloys (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?f=57) sub-forum - we have a lot of guys swapping tips concerning range-mining and smelting down range scrap there.

Will Do Andy.