PDA

View Full Version : Bagged Another One, With A Cast Boolit!

Ricochet
03-31-2007, 07:42 PM
Second one I've shot in about 8 years. I think that's why they call it a "Shooting Chrony." :lol:

A .44 Colt Walker replica doesn't drill as small and neat a hole through a Chrony as a Berger VLD from a .300 Weatherby does. The boolit expanded impressively and smashed the Chrony thoroughly. The 9V battery and its clip are the only reusable internal parts (they flew out), and the case is junk. It smacked it back and down on the ground HARD, too. Not like the slow-motion topple from the fast rifle bullet. Big black chunks of sensors went flying.
:shock:

Didn't recover the boolit, but it certainly performed well.

danski26
03-31-2007, 08:07 PM
Pics!!!!!

garandsrus
03-31-2007, 08:28 PM
Ricochet,

Are you going to have it mounted?

John

Ricochet
03-31-2007, 08:30 PM
That's kinda expensive. Anybody got any good recipes?

Ricochet
03-31-2007, 08:52 PM
OK, here's a pic:

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g166/SlidePicker/BlastedChrony.jpg

XBT
03-31-2007, 09:57 PM
Nice shot! Right in the boiler room!

singleshotbuff
03-31-2007, 09:59 PM
Ouch Lol

Mallard57
03-31-2007, 10:08 PM
I don't think it suffered much, looks like a good clean kill.

tomf52
03-31-2007, 10:18 PM
Ricochet - I'm not being a wise guy but I don't own and never have shot over a chrony. How does something like that happen?

TedH
03-31-2007, 10:32 PM
I'd bet it was dead before it hit the ground.

pumpguy
03-31-2007, 10:32 PM
How far did you have to track it? Did it leave a good blood trail?:shock:

waksupi
03-31-2007, 10:37 PM
Ricochet - I'm not being a wise guy but I don't own and never have shot over a chrony. How does something like that happen?

Boy, do I have a smart alec response to that. But I will let Richochet do it.....
:Fire::violin:[smilie=s::groner::kidding:

drinks
03-31-2007, 10:45 PM
I do not think my .290 lexan shield would have helped much, if at all.
My latest chrony protection measure is to replace the 3/16 steel sky screen supports with 3/16 wood dowels from the hardware store, I got to thinking about what damage a bullet clipping a support rod would do to the case, decided to change to wood.
:D

buck1
03-31-2007, 11:11 PM
I have always been scared I was going to do that. But as of yet I've been lucky, only a few gascheck scars...............Buck

Shiloh
03-31-2007, 11:23 PM
Been there, done that. Same red cased basic Alpha model Shooting Chrony. 220 gr round nose soft point from a .30-40 Krag sent parts everywhere. Looked like yours. Chrony will take it on trade towards a new one. Replaced mine with the blue cased Beta model.

Shiloh

piwo
03-31-2007, 11:52 PM
hmm... wonder if he greased his balls first.... :bigsmyl2: :bigsmyl2: :bigsmyl2:

Sorry Ricochet, I just can't help myslef..:-D So far I've shot my chrony, but only with a pellet gun, and only a dent. Well, I did blow off one of the metal poles, but it didn't ruin the chrony... Opportunity knocks each time I take it out. I'm sure one of these monster .54 conical/minie's will eventually total mine as well......

But a Colt Walker: you get style points!:drinks:

Bigjohn
04-01-2007, 12:42 AM
Ricochet; I haven't yet been where you have but there is ALWAYS the opportunity to explore new and as yet undiscovered territory.[smilie=1:

I do not think you will get any grief from PETA over this but I am certain there must be a Society out there somewhere for the protection of the defensless 'Chrony'. [smilie=1:
Actually, it looks a lot like one which hides out around here. it's been winged a couple of times but no one has ever bought it to bag.

However, if you plan to continue along this path, you may wish to approach "Chrony" and see what rate they will release them into the wild at. Prehaps, we could organise a group buy through here and get a breeding pair. :kidding:

Well, I hope your next one lasts a lot longer than this one did. Better luck,
John.

rvpilot76
04-01-2007, 12:53 AM
Looks like Second Chance needs to enter the Chronograph Jacket market! If you do shoot one of their jackets, they'll give you one for free! It would seem logical to me that somebody should make a chronograph that can be mounted elsewhere, and attached to the skyscreens with a data cord; maybe even wireless or "bluetooth". Ha! Are you listening Motorola? :-D

Kevin

Bigjohn
04-01-2007, 04:17 AM
Looks like Second Chance needs to enter the Chronograph Jacket market! If you do shoot one of their jackets, they'll give you one for free! It would seem logical to me that somebody should make a chronograph that can be mounted elsewhere, and attached to the skyscreens with a data cord; maybe even wireless or "bluetooth". Ha! Are you listening Motorola? :-D

Kevin

They do and the sky screens are connected to the main unit via cables or wireless; it still doesn't stop one from shooting the parts that are down range. :twisted:

It might not be as spectactular. :-D

John.

Bass Ackward
04-01-2007, 06:35 AM
Congratulations Ric. You solved the problem!

For the general knowledge of the board, Chrony's have a defect that they are very temperature sensitive pieces of equipment. The instructions tell you not to over heat them.

Over the years I have been forced to ventilate two in the same manner to prevent the electronics from over heating. And I no longer have to worry about those annoying little GC dings.

When I notified the company of the design change, the SOBs offered to give me a discount on another one after they quit laughing. *#+@!&=$

As a tech note, don't waste your money on a new battery. :grin:

P.S. Please locate the battery and dispose of it in an environmentaly friendly manner. :grin:

dromia
04-01-2007, 06:42 AM
But did you get a reading? I'd like to know the fps that did that damage.:-D

Seriously,I put a 303 through one a few years ago myself, bought a Pact after that the unit is connected to the screens by wires, if I cock up then its just the screens that need repalcing.

Hackleback
04-01-2007, 09:02 AM
Ask Twoworms about the death of his crony. [smilie=1: I think he killed it with a 500 S&W.:Fire:

dnepr
04-01-2007, 09:14 AM
So far so good haven't got mine yet . I should build some pretection for mine I am sure my time will come.

dromia
04-01-2007, 09:57 AM
Senior moment there, its not a Pact its a CED chrony wot I got. :roll:

imashooter2
04-01-2007, 09:59 AM
So far so good haven't got mine yet . I should build some pretection for mine I am sure my time will come.

Every shot is taking a chance, but I minimize my risk by always shooting off a rest and having a target behind the screens. So far, so good...

Ricochet
04-01-2007, 03:15 PM
Actually it happened from NOT shooting over the Chrony.

I had greased my balls quite well.

Didn't have to follow a blood trail. It was Dead Right There.

Looked like a truck hit it. WHAM! It was on the ground and never moved.

I'll dispose of the battery by using it in a guitar tuner or effect pedal.

That's what I get for shooting over it one handed when I was getting a bit tired. Missed some readings and decided I needed to shoot a bit lower over it. Pulled one a little, and got what you see.

It would be ill-advised to put something on your head and dare me to "William Tell" it off.

Last reading I saw before that was 1018 FPS, with that boolit that weighs about 190 grains as cast.

Poygan
04-01-2007, 04:21 PM
Ricochet and Bass Ackward,

I thank both of you gentlemen because I thought I was the only guy that shot two chronographs. So far, I haven't bought the third one....

georgewxxx
04-01-2007, 05:12 PM
One of the reasons I selected the Master Chrony was the expensive part could be behind the bore of the gun. It still doesn't stop gas ckecks from slamming into it on the skycrean box on occasion. Therefore three pieces of Lexan are hot glued to the front on a angle to deflect any errant check. I also opted to replace the metal rods holding the shades with wooden dowels that are cheap and easier on the machine when hit. ..Geo

woody1
04-01-2007, 05:29 PM
I seem to recall someone here in this forum saying it was not a matter of IF you'd shoot your Chrony but when. I do believe it, but so far mine only has gas check and plastic wad dings and smears of boolit lube here 'n' there. My Lab knocked it over one time and so did a wind gust. Both required some repair of the plastic sky screens. Regards, Woody

wiljen
04-01-2007, 05:43 PM
I hate to bring it up Ricochet, but I do believe those are out of season and the manufacturer levies a fine of approximately $150 (including shipping).

Gussy
04-01-2007, 05:51 PM
Aim higher, screens are cheaper(:>)
Gus

Baron von Trollwhack
04-01-2007, 06:07 PM
What an unusual ploy to trade up!

NSP64
04-01-2007, 09:22 PM
I do not think my .290 lexan shield would have helped much, if at all.
My latest chrony protection measure is to replace the 3/16 steel sky screen supports with 3/16 wood dowels from the hardware store, I got to thinking about what damage a bullet clipping a support rod would do to the case, decided to change to wood.
:D

sounds like a good idea, I think I'll copy you!!!!

Aaron
04-01-2007, 11:22 PM
My dad tagged mine with a 500 S&W shooting a 400gr projectile. Quite the mess.

Aaron

georgeld
04-02-2007, 03:15 AM
Congrats on that perfect hit.

Better double check but, I don't believe their warranty will cover that.
I paid $69 for the first one and after I "patched" it, they wanted $85.

Borrowed a friends and another mutual huntin partner hit a steel pin
to wreck that one I had borrowed.
Damned shame I didn't get to kill it myself when I was responsible for
replacement.

The third one's gonna be some other brand and style. One where the works
are on/under the bench would be better.

Better luck next time,

Bass Ackward
04-02-2007, 07:33 AM
One where the works
are on/under the bench would be better.

That's one of the things that I have done for everyone wanting to use the chrono. I nailed two shelves under the bench for right and left shooters and I tape down to deal with the blast. Painted marks for "the zone" on top the bench. When in this configuration you just raise up to see what happened.

PatMarlin
04-02-2007, 08:41 AM
I've got one of these, but I still hammered a sensor with a gas check. I need to make up the plexi guards:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=524035

qajaq59
04-02-2007, 09:12 AM
As I was reading all those I was half expecing to see one from someone that had ruined a chrono while trying to see how fast his buckshot was going. :Fire:

Bret4207
04-02-2007, 02:58 PM
Rick O Shay- How long do you cook them for? Are they good with salsa? Are they low carb? Can you grind them up and make sausage?

KCSO
04-02-2007, 05:28 PM
I think this is how they induce you to spend money for the fancier models with the cable. If you were shooting a full load of 50 grs of fff in the Walker it was going about 1000 fps RB. If that helps at this stage?

Ricochet
04-02-2007, 08:47 PM
Rick O Shay- How long do you cook them for? Are they good with salsa? Are they low carb? Can you grind them up and make sausage?
Anything's good with salsa.

Not a speck of carbs.

Yeah, you can make sausage out of 'em, but you don't want to watch it being made.

One of the old style heeled conical boolits cast from the Italian brass replica mould, weighing about 190 grains was loaded over "60 grains" (volumetric measure) of RS Pyrodex. I'd just seen 1018 FPS measured on a shot right before the one that did the deed. I think the fastest shot was 1038 FPS. Nope, looked back at the notes. 1001. 1018 was 2 shots before.

The Walker's in the same power ballpark as the .45 ACP. Makes a lot more smoke, though. :-D

twoworms
04-02-2007, 09:04 PM
Hackleback was right, I killed mine at 9 yards with one 440gr boolit and a max load of LittleGun out of my 20" barrel Encore. It was a real mess, seems they don't like being hit with heavy cast boolits... No pics to post from the shooting, just a bill from MidWayArms for a new one...

Tim

madcaster
04-02-2007, 09:10 PM
I have never owned a chrony,since I shot a staplegun once that I had sat on top of a cardboard box that I had just stapled a target onto.
Figured I didn't need electronic gear with that kind of luck!

Ken O
04-03-2007, 09:53 PM
I've bagged four so far. I even made a steel protector, but sometimes I just want to crony a couple quick loads and dont use it.
The last one I hit with a 6.5 242SMK at 2900 fps out of a .260Rem. The Chrony exploded. I shoveled and swept the parts in a box and sent it to Chrony to "fix". This was a Beta Master, a few days later they called and said they could fix my Chrony, but it was going to cost $35. I gave them my CC number and a few days later I had a brand new Chrony. Thier service in unbelievable, I started with a reconditioned off thier website for $59 if I remember right, then upgraded when I destroyed them. I now set up a target, and use the bench to shoot off of, and pull the bolt if its a bolt action to look down the barrel. I'm a slow learner.

rroberts
04-04-2007, 03:44 PM
Just wondering how long the season runs on those things in Tennessee.

Ricochet
04-04-2007, 04:14 PM
Year round. They're varmints.

Bigjohn
04-06-2007, 08:40 PM
The following comment is from a close friend and shooting pardner;

"One does not need the world wide web to become internationally famous for shooting ones Crony! Just ask Dick CHENEY!" :twisted:

:-D :-D :-D

John

Ricochet
04-07-2007, 12:17 PM
Good one! :lol:

Sundogg1911
04-09-2007, 03:05 PM
My first chronograph (a ProChrono) got shot the first time I lent it out. Dead center, clean kill!
My Chrony Beta (the replacement) has had a skyscreen, and one of the sky screen rods shot off. (I lent it out twice) I now go with it anytime someone wants to use it.
It's also been speckled with some pretty bright colors thanks to my little brother and a paintball gun. (I thought those things were supposed to be easly cleaned) :twisted: I think i'd lend it out again (If I got a $250 deposit)

Paladin 56
04-09-2007, 03:48 PM
Bigjohn,

Nowhere near as spectacular but nonetheless cause for brief heart stoppage. Only broke a small piece of plastic off the sky screen that still works. A subsonic load from a 223 or it may have been a bit more spectacular.