PDA

View Full Version : Lubing Gluelits

Jim
03-31-2007, 06:05 PM
I got a coupla hours this afternoon to mess around with the gluelits. The agenda was to develop a loading procedure to overcome the friction problem of shooting "dry" gluelits.
I started by shooting dry gluelits untill I had a problem. Didn't take long. After about 4 cylinder loads, I had one stick in the barrel. I tried gently pushing it out with a dowel, but no soap. A shot of WD-40 from both directions solved that and it came right out.
I cleaned my .45 Colt New Service revolver then ran a fairly long patch('bout 18") through the bore with a moderate application of high grade 30 weight air compressor oil. Nothing but the best for my Colt! I immediately noticed a significant increase in M/V and bullet energy. I blew a hole in a plastic patio chair! By the time I got to the end of the remaining 5 shots in that cylinder load, the M/V had dropped off significantly. AHA! We need lubrication on every shot.
I hopped in me trusty Chevy S-10 and down to Wally-World we went. A teflon lined cookie sheet, 3 boxes of Gulf brand canning wax, a bottle of mineral oil, a Pyrex measuring cup and a partridge in a pear tree.
I melted 3 bars of the wax in the measuring cup in the nuke box. By the way, wax doesn't heat in a nuke box, but the glass measuring cup does. 5 minutes and the glass measuring cup is hot enough to not only melt the wax, but also hot enough to give you a really GOOD 2nd degree burn! Use gloves! I got 300 milliliters of melted wax and added 300 milliliters of mineral oil. I stirred the mineral oil into the hot wax and poured the whole batch into the cookie sheet. 1/2 hour later, it was cool enough to use as bullet(oops!) gluelit lube.
I oiled the inside of a .45 colt case with a bit of oil on a .45 caliber bore mop. I pushed a glue stick in the case as far as it would go, marked it with a sharpie and pulled it back out. I cut a plug of the glue stick about 125K short of the mark and pushed it back in with a small nut driver. This left a vacancy in the mouth of the case for a lube "cookie". I then pushed the case into the lube mixture that had set up by then. The lube "cookie" didn't want to stay in the case on lifting it from the bottom of the pan, so I had to kinda rake it up the side. Mighta of put a bit too much mineral oil in the mix. I pressed the cookie in the mouth of the case with my finger to kinda spread it out, grabbed my Colt and headed for the south porch.
I kept both eyes open and was barely able to see the cookie disintegrating in the air. No visual of the gluelit. I hit a laurel tree and the gluelit bounced back so far that it hit the side of the house. By the way, the tree is abot 40 feet from the porch door. I fired 4 cylinders of gluelits using this lubing procedure and never experiened any M/V drop or any problems. And had a BEAUTIFUL lube star on the muzzle to boot!
NOTE:a taste of oil with a bore mop in the cartridge case made pushing the gluelit into the case a breeze. I tried that because a couple of them just froze up about 1/2 way in and refused to cooperate. Lubing the gluelit itself would require casting in a mold for the sake of lube grooves and lubing much like WW boolits. The large .44 caliber glue sticks are a PERFECT fit in a .45 cal. handgun and I was trying to simplify the procedure. Shooters with calibers other than .45 will pretty much have to cast to caliber and lube.
Well, there ya' have it. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

dk17hmr
03-31-2007, 06:22 PM
Very good sir. I am still shooting as cast GB's out of my 1911 and have yet to have one stick in the barrel, no lube nothing, then again I did shoot 20 some wax bullets and then 100 or so GB's, so there was some "lube" in the barrel.

But I have had them stick in my dads 357, I dont know what it is, seems revolvers are having more trouble them bottom feeders.

Side note, 30-30+GB=dead chickadee

KevMT
03-31-2007, 06:55 PM
For my 41 mag revolver, I "tumble lube" by putting the gluelits in a ziplock, spraying a little pam in there and rolling the bag around. This is actually done to aid in seating the bullets because I press them all the way down in the case. Once I get ready to shoot, I smear a little crisco across the case mouth for some added lubricant. I have 30 cases set aside for gluelit loading and I can get through them all without sticking a gluelit in the barrel.

Soda cans are no longer safe in my garage:Fire:

I'll try to post some pics of my gluelit trap tomorrow.

Jim
03-31-2007, 08:27 PM
Kev,
You think soda cans are no longer safe? I had to kill a charging patio chair this afternoon. I managed to stop him at 20' before he mauled and mangled me.

Buckshot
04-01-2007, 07:15 AM
..........I was at Harbor Freight and they had big bags of .450" glue sticks. Izzat what you guys are calling '44's?

............Buckshot

KevMT
04-01-2007, 10:45 AM
Kev,
You think soda cans are no longer safe? I had to kill a charging patio chair this afternoon. I managed to stop him at 20' before he mauled and mangled me.

Hey it was either you or him! Besides that chair clearly needed killin!:twisted:

Buckshot
Whats all this "you guys" stuff? Come jump in in the deep end and make some gluelits. It's crazy fun!

KEv

Jim
04-01-2007, 07:59 PM
Buckshot,
The glue sticks I've been buying @ wally world are clearly marked ".44 diameter".
Think you could sneak a 1" mike or a caliper in there and mike one of the sticks? Sure would like to know more about that!

Thanks

Jim
04-01-2007, 08:08 PM
Buckshot,
I just came from the Harbor Freight website and couldn't find ANYTHING on hot glue, glue guns, glue sticks, NUTTIN!
Gimme a hint, huh?

Ricochet
04-01-2007, 08:21 PM
Speaking of lubing, wonder how a little K-Y Jelly would work on these things?

Or Astroglide?

Jim
04-02-2007, 05:44 AM
Ricochet,
KY is a water based lubricant. I'm not sure I'd wanna use that in my peestola even if I knew I could clean it out. Just sump'm 'bout the water that puts me off.

MT Gianni
04-02-2007, 09:52 AM
Reminds me of the Doctors confessions I read recently on a humor site. The Dr was visiting with his patient in the hospital and asked how the breakfast was. The patient said it was all good except for the taste of the Kentucky jelly. He thought "huh" and looked over and saw the woman had put KY jelly on her toast. Gianni.

Buckshot
04-02-2007, 11:24 PM
Buckshot,
I just came from the Harbor Freight website and couldn't find ANYTHING on hot glue, glue guns, glue sticks, NUTTIN!
Gimme a hint, huh?

.............This was in a HF store. Don't know if that makes a difference? The bag had on it, among other stuff '.450' Dia.

I too just went and checked their website and searched for Hot Glue, Glue, Adhesives, glue sticks, glue guns, and a couple others and they sure aren't listed? Odd. I'll have to check back with them.

..............Buckshot

Jim
04-03-2007, 05:53 AM
Buckshot,
yeah, I'd be interested in hearing from you about this if you get a chance. If, in fact, this glue does mike out at .450 or even close, I'll hitch up the mules and take a trip to our (not so)local HF outlet.

fiberoptik
04-19-2007, 02:10 AM
Speaking of lubing, wonder how a little K-Y Jelly would work on these things?

Or Astroglide?

Ask the proctologissssst.
Bend over & touch yer toes! FORE!:roll: :Fire:

KevMT
04-22-2007, 10:49 PM
As an addition to my earlier post, since I deep seat the gluelits to bottom out in the cases, I was smearing a little crisco across the case mouth with my finger for lube. Unfortunatly, I was getting crisco all over the cases, the gun and myself in the process. At wally world I noticed a rather large syrynge looking thing that is intended to meter out 2 cycle oil for mixing with gas. Voiala! It works great for putting a small dab of crisco in each case before loading and only set me back $2.

Kev