PDA

View Full Version : Lee 230 TC mold throwing HEAVY??

lead4me
03-27-2012, 12:30 PM
I just finished casting around 250 Lee TC 230gr 45ACP only problem is my mold that has always dropped boolits right at 230/231 has dropped these at 240/241 and after sizing and lubing these they sit at 243gr.
The lead I used is from a counter weight and only added some tin to help with fill out. These cast beautiful ALL nice and shiny with no frosting great fill out. So I'm thinking that my alloy is close to pure lead as they are 10/11gr heaver than normal.
I would like to try these out in my pistol but am having a little problem finding load data for the 240gr boolits. The powder's that I have on hand are Titegroup, Universal, Clays, Unique, H110 and 2400.
I'm sure that if they don't lead my barrel I can shoot these, and I just bought a Chrony so I can better work up and check my loads. So does anyone have any load data to start with? I'm just looking for around 750/775 FPS outta these.
Anyone else load and shoot PL boolits in 45ACP? Any problems in the 1911 using "softer" boolits? I don't have a problem with remelting and "fixing" the alloy but I did already size and pan lube them so......

MBTcustom
03-27-2012, 01:50 PM
Go 3.5 to 4 grains of clays. You might be over thinking a gun that will gladly eat anything.

MBTcustom
03-27-2012, 01:55 PM
By the way, frosting has to do with your mold temperature. It has nothing to do with the alloy at all. Pure lead runs at a hotter temp than any other alloy, and it is heavier. That means a total of nothing. The only way to know what is in your alloy is to have it tested or buy it from a reputable source.
1911 is just as happy to shoot pure lead, zinc, glue, plastic Lyman #2 or rocks at the speeds you are after :). Don't sweat it.

runfiverun
03-27-2012, 03:00 PM
your boolit weight of 10 grs more is what 4% drop the load that much.
so 2 tenths of a grain should be about right.......just shoot them you'll know more after a few down the bbl.

lead4me
03-27-2012, 04:04 PM
Sounds great, I load 4.0 clays under 230 LRN all the time nice load pleasant to shoot. Clays is so fast I worry about spikes in pressure when running near max in a load. But it is also dirty when running reduced loads. I will try the 4% drop in loads and work from there. If this PL shoots good in my 45 it will be a blessing as I have almost 700lbs of this PL on hand and not having to alloy it just being able to cast and shoot will be nice.
You say that mold temp frosts boolits? Why then when casting same boolit with say a lino/PL 50/50 mix I start frosting half way threw casting session, but not at all with just pure lead? Is it mold temp in relationship to Alloy? So I can cast longer with PL before frosting than with say Lino? But both will frost when mold reaches the melt temp of given alloy?

runfiverun
03-28-2012, 02:37 AM
you are forgetting about a couple of things.
lino melts at about 100* lower than lead does.
and it contains antimony.
lead requires more heat to melt and pour to get good fillout.
whereas lino has plenty of tin to get good fillout.

the mold temp controls frosting of the alloy not the alloys temperature going into it.[within reason]
frosting is manifest by white coloring and rounded edges and shrinkage of the alloy.
heat is pulled to the outside of the mold [into the air] and more alloy is pulled in behind it from the sprue to fill in the voids in the boolit.
as long as the boolit is still liquid.

if you got too much heat in the mold for it to disperse quickly enough and the alloy will still cool down enough to harden it never fills the voids or mold properly.