PDA

View Full Version : cleaning equipment..

quiknot
03-30-2007, 08:40 PM
is there a good way to clean molds and casting pot.....or should they not be cleaned?

lurch
03-30-2007, 09:43 PM
Others may differ, but here is what I do.

Molds: Depends on what is on them.

Lead - heat it up and rub it off with a cotton/burlap/heavy duty paper cloth (rags in a box).
General gunk - a good solvent like brake cleaner, carb cleaner or really hot water and soap with a hot water rinse. Make sure it dries thoroughly... All have worked well but I tend to gravitate to the solvents as it is quicker.

Pot: I use a wire wheel on a cheap drill or scotchbrite every two or three full charges through it. Scrub it down to the bare metal - metering rod too. A mask is highly recommended to essential so you don't breathe in any of the dust that comes out. Do it outside or clean the area thoroughly afterward (and not with the household vacuum) to get the inevitable dust up. The spout is a little more problematic but an unfolded heavy duty paper clip will generally do it whem the spout is hot. A little persistent but gentle scraping with the end of the wire in the hole and along the metering rod seating surface does the trick. Some folks use a drill bit for this. I think it would be hard to get the inside the pot area of the spout with one - though I never tried, just an armchair opinion. If I don't clean the pot every so often, I start getting crud on the boolits.

NVcurmudgeon
03-30-2007, 10:59 PM
My pot stays clean as a hound's tooth since I quit fluxing with Marvelux and went back to fluxng with candle wax. With the Marvelux I used to get a deposit lining the pot that significantly reduced its capacity. The best way to clean out Marvelux was to boil water in the pot.

LAH
04-09-2007, 05:55 PM
I've never cleaned a pot, never. When moulds are new I use a toothbrush and starting fluid. If I store them with oil or spray graphite I clean them the same way. If using a mould a couple times a week I've found no need for cleaning. Just my 2...............Creeker

Orygun
04-09-2007, 06:20 PM
My pot stays clean as a hound's tooth since I quit fluxing with Marvelux and went back to fluxng with candle wax. With the Marvelux I used to get a deposit lining the pot that significantly reduced its capacity. The best way to clean out Marvelux was to boil water in the pot.

Me too! I used to use Marvelux and have only used wax (or bullet lube) for the last whatever years and don't have any problems. Scrape the sides of the pot when you are fluxing and bring the crap to the top and no problems while casting.
YMMV