PDA

View Full Version : WW II Era Color photos

Tom-ADC
03-26-2012, 01:56 PM
http://pavel-kosenko.livejournal.com/303194.html?thread=22669914

missionary5155
03-26-2012, 04:16 PM
Good afternoon
Thanks for posting these ! Represents a whole bunch of history.
MIke in Peru

azrednek
03-26-2012, 05:35 PM
THX!! Really enjoyed it.

dagger dog
03-26-2012, 08:05 PM
Great pics!!!!

Father served Aluetian Island Campaign at Attu, Kiska,107 Feild Artillery, shipped out to Germany after D-Day,served Pacific and European Campaigns.

Uncle Served Tibbenham East Anglia, 2nd Air Division Heavy (B-24's) 445 Bombardment Group 702 Squadron, flew 35 missions as tail Gunner, flew Big Week,(thousand plane raid) and D-Day.

All the old warriors are dying off fast make sure to thank them for their service, the USA would be a totally different place to live if not for their sacrifice !

jlm223
03-26-2012, 08:42 PM
The quality of the pics were amazing, Thanks for posting.

arjacobson
03-26-2012, 08:54 PM
Excellent!!

Tom-ADC
03-26-2012, 08:57 PM
The quality of the pics were amazing, Thanks for posting.

I was surprised by that also, whomever stored those knew what they were doing.

dragonrider
03-26-2012, 10:17 PM
Pretty cool, reminded me of Diorama's.

Olevern
03-27-2012, 06:23 AM
very nice, thanks

10x
03-27-2012, 07:23 PM
Incredible photos - I like the B-25 being pulled by the McCormack Deering W4.....

lead-1
03-28-2012, 03:04 AM
Great pics and one brought back a bad memory, not of the war but a life's lesson. The lady in picture #6 is using a drill that I had one just like it, it still worked like a champ in the 1990 era and I foolishly traded it for a Makita cordless that only lasted a year, Somebody kick me.

melter68
04-09-2012, 03:06 PM
Boy, what nice old clear pictures.

Thanks for sharing, they are priceless and its thanks to them we have freedom.

lathesmith
04-09-2012, 08:13 PM
Fantastic! What a great view of history, thanks for linking.

lathesmith

casterofboolits
04-10-2012, 08:29 PM
I was ssigned to Pacific Stars and Stripes from 1961 to 1965 and we had six of the Speed Graphic 4 X 5 cameras. That size negative provided some really sharp photos. I did some "cumsha" trading with an Army unit and ended up with several boxes of the Kodachrome film and developing chemicals for them. We also had a 5 X 7 view camera for some specialty work. The photo lab boss was an old retired Marine and he had glass negatives he took in the 30's!.

Those were the god ole days!

Hardcast416taylor
04-11-2012, 08:46 PM
Picture #20 of the light M-3 Stuart tank plowing thru a water test track. My eldest brother was commander of one of these little hot rods in Europe. He came ashore several days after D-Day. He later served in Patton`s 3rd Armored that helped relieve Bastogne. It was cramped inside for the 4 man crew he once said. He had 2 of these tanks shot out from under him during his tour. The last time only he and the main gunner got out. Excellent quality on this collection of photos.Robert

snuffy
04-13-2012, 10:55 AM
These pictures stirred my incessant need to know the history of kodachrome film. Here's a bit of the wiki that you can find by a simple search;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kodachrome

Archival stability

"When stored in darkness, Kodachrome's long-term stability under suitable conditions is superior to other types of color film; images on Kodachrome slides over fifty years old retain accurate color and density. It has been calculated that the yellow dye, the least stable, would suffer a 20% loss of dye in 185 years. This is because developed Kodachrome does not retain unused color couplers. However, Kodachrome's color stability under bright light, for example during projection, is inferior to substantive slide films; Kodachrome's fade time under projection is about one hour, compared to Fujichrome's two and a half hours."

My dad used ONLY Kodachrome film when taking pictures. He was a very good amateur photographer. Because of the expensive nature of Kodachrome processing, he took few pictures that weren't keepers. To really see the slides, you needed a good projector and a quality screen, then you could see the inherent quality of the image.

He used to develop his own B&W film and print pictures with an enlarger. He hadn't for many years, when I was old enough to start taking pics. He dug out his remaining equipment, showed me how to make contact pictures. A gifted Kodak Brownie camera and a couple rolls of verichrome pan film in the hands of an eight year old. He had sold most of his equipment before moving from Illinois to Wisconsin. The paper he still had was 20 years old, was still good enough for contact pics.