PDA

View Full Version : Got bit by hedgehog!

303Guy
03-26-2012, 10:15 AM
A youngster at that! We'd been out to put down apples for pig bait and while we were at it I put out some salted and dried rabbit left over bits. So I had the smell on my fingers. Later we came across this young hedgehog and of course I can't leave things alone so I went over to it and introduced it to my fingers. It bit me!

This was funny and unexpected. Then, we saw it lick my finger and bite me again! Bingo! It was smelling the good stuff on my fingers and trying to eat me! It bit me a third time after picking it up. Anyway, we just had to take it home to show the kids - on the promise that it will be returned tomorrow. I took the opportunity to show Marc what the underbelly of a young hedgehog looks like. It's furry, unlike the adults. All fun.

I've seen a hedgehog try to catch a duck! It was hungry.

Certaindeaf
03-26-2012, 10:37 AM
I think it would have seen my shadow rear up and give it the boot!

Sounds like a good time anyway.

Baja_Traveler
03-26-2012, 10:39 AM
My dad just loved hedgehogs, wanted to get one as a backyard pet - but they don't allow them into California so to this day I've never seen one.

missionary5155
03-26-2012, 04:22 PM
Good afternoon
Well that sure stirs up a bunch of hunting memories standing about the leaf littered ground early in the morning listening to the leaves nearby getting pushed about from underneath. Always was intersting to see what would come popping out eventually to "test the air" and get a gander at what was going on above the leaves before popping back down to rustle about somemore heading off somewhere else.
Mike in Peru

JeffinNZ
03-26-2012, 04:33 PM
Our members in Alaska are fighting off bears with the 'bare' hands and a knife between their teeth and 303Guy is getting bitten by a hedgehog. PETE - you're making us look like pansies down here. LOL.

303Guy
03-26-2012, 04:43 PM
Hey. It pricked me too! :mrgreen: Those little ones have sharp spines. It's best to pick them up by slowly slipping ones hand under them so they don't roll up. Best not to have salty dried rabbit smell on your hands though.

They are cool little critters. To keep then in your garden a regular supply of meat and bread and I think milk should keep then 'home'. But they do wonder on the roads and get run over a lot. Apparently they are great for keeping crickets and snails down.

P.S. I was unarmed and bare handed - in fact, I didn't even have a knife!:mrgreen: I wonder if they've named it Sonic. Remember the 'Sonic The Hedgehog' cartoons?

starmac
03-26-2012, 04:56 PM
Banned in cali, do they have high capacity mags or what. lol

DLCTEX
03-26-2012, 05:54 PM
Bite me once, shame on you. Bite me twice , shame on me. Bite me three times and stick me, I won't be responsible for my actions.

RU shooter
03-26-2012, 07:40 PM
So What is a hedge hog exactly like a mini porcupine or something ?, All we got around here are regular hogs, groundhogs or thistle pigs as my grandpap used to call them and of course porcupines.About exotic as we have are black and flying squirrels

303Guy
03-26-2012, 11:57 PM
It's prickly little critter that rolls into a ball and bites fingers if they smell and taste of dried salty rabbit.

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo327/303Guy/hedgehogwithgirl.jpghttp://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo327/303Guy/hedgehogkai.jpg

Jim
03-27-2012, 06:46 AM
That little dude would fit in a pocket!

x101airborne
03-27-2012, 07:42 AM
Good thing the other hand didnt smell like cornbread. He woulda had a full meal.
Did you at least offer him a beer to drink?

Did yall kill any rooters?

303Guy
03-28-2012, 02:12 AM
They might fit in your pocket but you wouldn't want to put one there. They're prickly things. They got sharp spines! They'r quite innocuous creatures and will feed out your fingers (or on your fingers). The kids are loving this little one, catching bugs for it and all. I didn't offer it any beer - didn't think of it actually.

We've seen them 'rooters' in the bush and my buddy has shot two or three. They're back in the same spot and that's where we're baiting them. A night time stake out is being planned.