PDA

View Full Version : louisiana

Frank46
06-30-2005, 04:50 AM
Chuck, where do you call home in LA??. I live in New Iberia not far from Lafayette. Frank

Junior1942
06-30-2005, 11:58 AM
This ain't Chuck, it's Junior. I live in a little burg north of Alexandria named Tullos.

NVcurmudgeon
06-30-2005, 04:29 PM
I was raised in CA, and live in NV, but pay homage to New Iberia, home of McIlhenny's Tobasco Sauce. (Western Mexican food fanciers are serious about hot sauce.) Also, one of Roosevelt's Rough Riders was a McIlhenny, and went home after the war to run the business. And the standard 5 oz. bottle is a great container for Ed's Red.

Buckshot
06-30-2005, 05:26 PM
...........My bro in law was stationed at the AFB in Alexandria. Met his future wife there. After the several RIF's the military went through in the early 90's he accepted thier $40K payoff to get out. He was an E-6 in a field to be much reduced in size. He began working for an outfit doing upgrades/overhauls on commercial jets.

We went back for a visit in August several years ago (how's THAT for timing :D . They had a brand new home and as long as I stayed indoors it was liveable. Since I smoke, I went outside to do that, and it was hell trying to keep it lit, the humidity was so high! Coming from So. California all the green was overpowering and the freeways looked like they'd been laid out on golf courses.

Of course I had the same issues when visiting my grand parents on their farm in Weiner (north-eastern corner) AR. You'd wake up in the morning stuck to the sheets, and felt about as chipper as a damp dishrag.

..............Buckshot

Frank46
07-01-2005, 04:17 AM
Greetings all. I must admit to being a transplanted yankee. Lived in new york
for most of my life but have spent the past 9 years down here. Got
tired of shoveling snow, the cold, and ice along with the hour and a half commute each way to and from work. The heat and humidity really doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would. I worked outside for over 29 years so maybe that helped. Sorry for being off topic. Frank

Junior1942
07-01-2005, 07:07 AM
Here's what I like about living in Louisiana: (1) 3 months of deer season; (2) my shooting bench is on my front porch; and (3) my favorite deer stand is about 125 yards from my front door.

Pop_No_Kick
07-01-2005, 10:04 AM
Chuck, where do you call home in LA??. I live in New Iberia not far from Lafayette. Frank
__________________________________________________ __________

I live in Carencro !. When I'm Not @ the Camp in Henderson..
My Cell phone # is 781-5343 call me sometime and will get together
I'm a newbie @ this casting, and reloading but i'm hooked (Bad)

I'm a transplant (Army Brat ) My Mom was a CoonAss from Opelousas and a married-one myself from Breaux Bridge...

I's good to Know a fellow caster around here!

Pop_No_Kick
07-01-2005, 10:09 AM
Here's what I like about living in Louisiana: (1) 3 months of deer season; (2) my shooting bench is on my front porch; and (3) my favorite deer stand is about 125 yards from my front door.

Just Gotta Love this place !!!!

(WOW Humitity is Low Today only 88 % and 91.4 F in the Shade )

Pop_No_Kick
07-01-2005, 10:15 AM
This ain't Chuck, it's Junior. I live in a little burg north of Alexandria named Tullos.

Junior Got a friend with a lease up in Ball La. Had A Great Time !!
Great Hog and Dear Hunting !!!!! (you got it made ! )

They Lost the Least (timber Co.) But Cant Wait to Go Back !!

shooter575
07-01-2005, 02:50 PM
Just Gotta Love this place !!!!

(WOW Humitity is Low Today only 88 % and 91.4 F in the Shade )

Hey, It has been hot up north too. June has had 14 or 15 day of 90 F in Detroit. Humitity been up over 75 % too.
Way to hot for a poor old fat yankee. I don't see how you boys take it.
Buckshot I allways wondered how you SW guys take all of the "green" we have here.

Scrounger
07-01-2005, 04:41 PM
It's 112 (according to my thermometer on the back porch) for the third straight day. Thank God for low humidity; Thank God TWICE for air conditioners. I'll think about going shooting in October...

drinks
07-01-2005, 10:32 PM
In much of Texas east of IH 35, June, July and August are strickly indoor months, unless you are a serious gardener, then you are busy watering and picking, early mornings and late evenings, 100' with 50% plus humdidity, as J. Wilson said, is a good time to stay close to the A/C and develop recipes for when it cooled off some, also try new beers and wines for marinades.
Don, at Trinity, Big Thicket

Frank46
07-02-2005, 02:57 AM
Popnokick, My wife is origionally from the St.Bernard area. Met her through a mutual friend when I lived in new york. Weather down here can get pretty intense but you learn to cut the grass late in the afternoon as its to darn hot. I haven't been casting in quite awhile but since getting a 94 big bore in 375 win and a yugo 8mm decided its time. Plus if the gun gods smile upon me will be getting a swedish 98 mauser in 9.3x57mm. How are the gun shows your way. Went to the kenner show last saturday.
Not much to look at. And yes thank goodness for air conditioning. Frank

Pop_No_Kick
07-02-2005, 03:15 AM
Popnokick, My wife is origionally from the St.Bernard area. Met her through a mutual friend when I lived in new york. Weather down here can get pretty intense but you learn to cut the grass late in the afternoon as its to darn hot. I haven't been casting in quite awhile but since getting a 94 big bore in 375 win and a yugo 8mm decided its time. Plus if the gun gods smile upon me will be getting a swedish 98 mauser in 9.3x57mm. How are the gun shows your way. Went to the kenner show last saturday.
Not much to look at. And yes thank goodness for air conditioning. Frank

they got a gun show @ the blackum Collisium in Lafayette in two weeks.
Maybe we can hook-up there?

Frank46
07-02-2005, 03:31 AM
Yeah good deal my phone is 337-365-5196 look for a fat guy with a cane and grey hair,ain't much but its all grey.Give me a call as I usually go with another friend in his truck. Frank

BlueMoon
07-02-2005, 03:04 PM
Junior,

I delivered a giant ice making plant down to Alexandria from AR one time years ago and couldn't get over how many coyotes I saw hit along side the road.

Bill

Frank46
07-03-2005, 03:16 AM
Junior, I don't know how to say this but you look a lot like my brother in law. His name is junior also. Read your tests with the meister and lazer cast bullets. My win 94 measures .309 at the throat and has had about 300 J bullets through it. The tops of the lands had reamer marks on them and the bore brush made some wierd noises when cleaning. Most of the marks are gone now and one of these days will shoot it with cast. I ordered some 170gr lazer cast from midway to try but the bullet diameters were not very consistent. Some were .308, .309 and .310. I do better casting myself.
So I sent them back. Frank