PDA

View Full Version : Beretta Stampede .45 LC Single Action Army for $330 new-- Trash?

VP
06-30-2005, 12:35 AM
I am looking at buying 3 or more Uberti repros of the Colt 1873 SAA. One piece that really jumped out at me yesterday at Walker 47 in N. Anaheim was a '73 SAA repro for $330. New I believe. It was stamped "Beretta Stampede" or something like that.

Today at The Gunslinger gunshop in Glendora, Jeff told me that those pieces were trash.
Lots of problems with them, he said. I am not interested in buying one because it is not a copy of the SAA Colt-- it has some transfer bar stuff where the firing pin should be --- I want a copy of the real thing ... but have you all heard that these pieces, bearing the Beretta stamp, are problems?

Thanks
Vern

C A Plater
06-30-2005, 01:48 PM
I thought Berettas were Uberti. I seem to recall them buying the outfit and having some made under their name. Could be wrong but Beretta has been on a buying spree and it seems likely. I've only seen one in the box at a gun shop and that was a special order. The Ubertis they had in stock were cheaper (<$300) and had good fit and finish. Lockup and timing put Rugers to shame.

NVcurmudgeon
06-30-2005, 04:49 PM
I have a Stampede .357 Magnum, 5 1/2". It has the Beretta three arrows logo on the grips and is marked "MOD. STAMPEDE, S.A. CAL. 357 MAG on the side of the barrel. The bottom of the barrel is marked, A.UBERTI-ITALY. How I came to be the owner of a new, unfired, cowboy gun I have no pressing need of is a long story. It seems to be very well made and finished, so if you can get a good price on a .45 Colt, I'd say grab it.

VP
06-30-2005, 08:10 PM
I thought Berettas were Uberti. I seem to recall them buying the outfit and having some made under their name. Could be wrong but Beretta has been on a buying spree and it seems likely. I've only seen one in the box at a gun shop and that was a special order. The Ubertis they had in stock were cheaper (<$300) and had good fit and finish. Lockup and timing put Rugers to shame. Yes you are correct about Beretta and Uberti. Is the gun shop you mention in Southern California? I'd like to look at those Ubertis for < $300. Looks like I will be paying closer to $500 each for mine.

VP
06-30-2005, 08:13 PM
I have a Stampede .357 Magnum, 5 1/2". It has the Beretta three arrows logo on the grips and is marked "MOD. STAMPEDE, S.A. CAL. 357 MAG on the side of the barrel. The bottom of the barrel is marked, A.UBERTI-ITALY. How I came to be the owner of a new, unfired, cowboy gun I have no pressing need of is a long story. It seems to be very well made and finished, so if you can get a good price on a .45 Colt, I'd say grab it. I am planning to grab 3 or 4! I will go with Uberti, although other Italian makes are good, and have gotten even better. The man I quoted who put down the Beretta Stampede (and he may have just based that on a few unlucky examples) said that the Italian replicas were as good as the original Colt SAA, for what that was worth. I asked him what problems he had with the SAA and he said the mainspring wasn't reliable-- he liked the Ruger, which replaces the flat spring with a coil spring. Can't please everybody.

lar45
07-02-2005, 02:51 AM
I heard that the Baretta was made by Uberti, but they were supposed to have a better fit and finish as well as the transfer bar. I've seen some of the uberti's that lost the case color after being cleaned. It came off with a solvent. I don't know if these were old or different or what?

I recently bought a EAA Bounty Hunter single action in 357. I got it on auction arms and it hasn't shown up yet, so I don't know anything else about it.
It's supposed to be made in Germany and the suggested list is around $273. So I would imagine that a quantity buy would be less. Mine was $199 includeing shipping.

C A Plater
07-05-2005, 09:42 PM
Yes you are correct about Beretta and Uberti. Is the gun shop you mention in Southern California? I'd like to look at those Ubertis for < $300. Looks like I will be paying closer to $500 each for mine.
Unfortunatley, they are in N. Illinois at D & J Guns, Lakemoor. The sub $300 guns were the matte finished with bead blasted brass grip frame. The nicer ones with the charcoal blue and color case frames were closer to $400 and available in calibers other than .45. $430+/- for the thunderer/birdshead grip. These should be available to most dealers through regular distribution channels. I checked a local store here in Huntsville, AL (my new home) saw one or two in the case on my way to the shooting range but didn't catch the price.

lar45
07-08-2005, 02:15 AM
I picked up the EAA Bounty hunter today. It's a pretty nice looking gun and the action is fairly smooth with a nice trigger.
It does shoot about 3 FEET right at 100 yds though.

I think I'll try makeing this into a 375 Atomic when I get some time. I'll add adjustable sights to it.

MarkinNWArk
10-31-2005, 01:30 PM
I am looking at buying 3 or more Uberti repros of the Colt 1873 SAA. One piece that really jumped out at me yesterday at Walker 47 in N. Anaheim was a '73 SAA repro for $330. New I believe. It was stamped "Beretta Stampede" or something like that.

Today at The Gunslinger gunshop in Glendora, Jeff told me that those pieces were trash.
Lots of problems with them, he said. I am not interested in buying one because it is not a copy of the SAA Colt-- it has some transfer bar stuff where the firing pin should be --- I want a copy of the real thing ... but have you all heard that these pieces, bearing the Beretta stamp, are problems?

Thanks
Vern
Vern,
I have one of the Beretta Stampede pistols in 45 Colt. It's the 4 3/4 barrel version. It does have a transfer bar so you can "load the whole gun." Good shooter and I am pleased with it. I have medium size hands and the grip seems a little small, but other than that, I have no complaints. Throws a 250 grain chunk of lead as good as the Rugers and other Colt replicas. Very pleasant to shoot with Cowboy Action loads. Nice looking gun. Compliments from others who have tried it.

robertbank
11-01-2005, 12:14 AM
Beretta owns Uberti not the other way around. I have the Stampede in the 4 3/4" version as well. Fit and finish is excellent. Beretta service for Canucks sucks but that is another story. My gun shoots a tad left and will see if I can get that corrected under warranty - no I am not holding my breath. THe plastic grips seem small and I have a set of wooden grips coming up from the States to replace them. I need another shooter and I am going to get a Pietta 5 1/2" .45 Colt.

Service side of Beretta is god awlfull that is why I going to the Pietta for my 2nd gun. Would get a new Vaquero but nobody seems to have them up here yet.

Stay Safe

scattershot
01-14-2018, 12:24 PM
The only report I have read about the Stampede was from a gunsmith, who said it was the most perfect handgun he had ever purchased. Beautiful fit and finish, action like a Swiss watch, and bank vault lockup.

I’d buy that pistol for $300 all day long.

OOPS! Just notced this thread is 13 years old. My bad.

DougGuy
01-14-2018, 12:43 PM
If you don't mind the absence of the "4 clicks to full cock" go with the Ruger. I have the Uberti "Old West" model in my avatar, which I dearly do enjoy but the screws are coarsely threaded in all the Uberti models, fit and finish is on the outside, the inside is woefully lacking the quality fitment of the old Colts. The feel in the hands of the Uberti is in most cases better than an antique Colt, NOBODY marries wood to metal like the Italians do on the Uberti back straps.

OOPS! Just notced this thread is 13 years old. My bad.

LOL got me too, not enough coffee this am I guess!