PDA

View Full Version : Declaring contents to USPS

Jim
03-24-2012, 09:57 AM
I took three boxes to my local post office a few days back to send off. Wanda, Jack and "Mr. Bill" all know me and what I do, so there's no problem. This is typical Smalltown, USA.

Jack was behind the counter and we were chatting as he processed my shipments. He popped up and mentioned something to the effect that, if I ship from another PO somewhere else and if they ask me what's in the box, just tell 'em 'metal ingots'.

He went on to explain that the definition of 'hazardous' is sometimes left open to interpretation and that, if I were to tell a postal clerk what's in the box, he might refuse to ship it. Jack said the problem is, whatever the clerk decides, the Post Master is gonna back 'im up.

Y'all ever heard anything like this? I thought it was advice worthy of consideration seein' as it came from a postal clerk.

oneokie
03-24-2012, 10:10 AM
My Postmaster always asks if there is anything hazardous, liquid, or perishable in the box. My standard response is "only if someone drops it on their foot". Have never been asked to specify actual contents.

Mumblypeg
03-24-2012, 12:08 PM
It just depends on who you're dealing with. I once was going to make a claim on a damaged rifle that was shiped thru USPS and the person behind the counter said " You're not even supposed to ship those through the mail." I walked off, it just wasn't worth the trouble...:violin:

starmac
03-24-2012, 12:29 PM
I will not put in writing some of the things I have been told by a couple of postmasters, but I will say it pays to have a good relationship with them. lol

firefly1957
03-24-2012, 12:38 PM
Yes I have noticed and seen postal workers doing just what they please and making their own rules as they go. Including throwing away first class mail that they decided could not be delivered.

geargnasher
03-24-2012, 12:42 PM
My Postmaster always asks if there is anything hazardous, liquid, or perishable in the box. My standard response is "only if someone drops it on their foot". Have never been asked to specify actual contents.

They ask me that every time too. All I tell them is no. I've read the prohibited list on the poster with all the cans of paint, glue, and aerosols on the PO wall, and I believe lead ingots are fully compliant.

Gear

mooman76
03-24-2012, 12:51 PM
I deal with a P.O. daily and they seem to have some odd or different rules than other P.O. s around so we called another one and asked and they said the different P.O.s can alter their rules as they see fit. Not saying they can do anything they want but they can get quirky at times.

Longwood
03-24-2012, 01:01 PM
Even a stupid, (most common), lawyer could convince a judge that wheel weights are hazardous waste.
As ignorant as they all frequently prove themselves to be, I would think nicely stacked box of new ingot's sure look a lot better yo a judge than a box of what can sure be described as 'Junk'.

I have mailed guns to gunssmiths numerous times. I insured the heck out of the "Precision Machined Parts" that were the box contents.
One smith advised two boxes.

Roundnoser
03-24-2012, 01:06 PM
No problems at my post office. They just get a little frustrated having to lift the box.

JeffinNZ
03-24-2012, 01:32 PM
Wheel weights are very hazardous but only if you drop the bucket full of them on your foot.

We are all responsible people here and I am sure that none of you would deliberately ship an item that would likely cause harm if things when wrong. On that basis I tend to be frugal with packing descriptions if only to avoid a less well informed person creating an unnecessary problem for myself and the consignee.

Take for example I would never, ever post a boolit mould with the actual description as "Bullet Mould". Just asking for faux official to cause you problems. One does not have to lie to be discreet. "Casting mould" is truthful. I have sent beer to my friend in Alaska and declared it as "malt, barley extract". That's pretty accurate.

walltube
03-24-2012, 02:00 PM
"On that basis I tend to be frugal with packing descriptions if only to avoid a less well informed person creating an unnecessary problem for myself and the consignee. "

Well said, Jeff.

MT Gianni
03-24-2012, 02:12 PM
"Machined parts" also works well as a description.

DLCTEX
03-24-2012, 02:23 PM
I made the mistake of telling the new lady it was lead bullets. She said I couldn't send them through the mail. I told her that they were just the lead part, not loaded ammo, but she had to get the Post Masters ok. They went.

danski26
03-24-2012, 02:24 PM
I have had some battles with my local postmaster. She is......not easy to deal with. I always seem to lose. i go to the post office one town over and have no problems. Some people are not happy unless they can make other people unhappy. Postmasters do have control of 'their kingdom."

I do work with a couple field agents from the postal inspectors office. They hold quite a bit of clout over the postmasters however they don't get involved in "policy' just when a crime is commited.

I've recieved a "no' from my postmaster, went to the village south of me and recieved a "sure, no problem." If I could never use the post office again I would be happy, however that is not an option.

gandydancer
03-24-2012, 02:37 PM
It just depends on who you're dealing with. I once was going to make a claim on a damaged rifle that was shiped thru USPS and the person behind the counter said " You're not even supposed to ship those through the mail." I walked off, it just wasn't worth the trouble...:violin:
maybe I'm behind the times here I through you could mail a long gun with the USPS but not a hand gun? Have they changed the rules on that now? GD

gbrown
03-24-2012, 02:40 PM
I've taken several packages (sfr) of lead to my P.O. I live in a city of over 100,000 and we have 4 ********* Several times a clerk asked, "What's in this, lead?" and I have said, as a matter of fact, it is. Also, a clerk asked me about a mfr of empty cases and I told her what they were. No problem. Each clerk station should have a list of items prohibited or declared hazardous. Ask them to produce it. Lead is not on there.

dagger dog
03-24-2012, 03:20 PM
I have 2 local US Post offices within 5 miles of my house,one postmaster even helps when packaging gun parts,another wouldn't ship jacketed bullets, because I used the b-word,tried to explain the difference between cartridges and bullets to no avail.

Duckiller
03-24-2012, 04:22 PM
Gandydancer: Long guns are legal to mail. Hand guns are a no no. When it comes to shipping guns I sometimes think we should let USPS go bankrupt, except Fex Ex and UPS are no better. All the clerks that I have encountered seem to be idiots and should have no discretion as to what they can accept for shipping.

starmac
03-24-2012, 04:26 PM
Wheel weights are very hazardous but only if you drop the bucket full of them on your foot.

We are all responsible people here and I am sure that none of you would deliberately ship an item that would likely cause harm if things when wrong. On that basis I tend to be frugal with packing descriptions if only to avoid a less well informed person creating an unnecessary problem for myself and the consignee.

Take for example I would never, ever post a boolit mould with the actual description as "Bullet Mould". Just asking for faux official to cause you problems. One does not have to lie to be discreet. "Casting mould" is truthful. I have sent beer to my friend in Alaska and declared it as "malt, barley extract". That's pretty accurate.

Jeff, I watched a program where they have been opening packages here that they suspect contain beer wine or whiskey and prosecuting the sender.
It was focused on mail going to villages, and a lot of them it is banned, so maybe that is the reason.

AZ-JIM
03-24-2012, 04:43 PM

A little off topic, I think they tend to make their own rules as they go also. My uncle and I have mailed beer back and forth, I get stuff in AZ that he can't get in PA and vice versa. The PO wont touch it, it has alcohol in it maybe it's flamable :veryconfu. So I go to the UPS store in the strip mall, no problem. The PO asks whats in the package, UPS only asks if its hazardous.

az-jim

starmac
03-24-2012, 05:10 PM
I don't know the law on it, The show was concentrating on villages, and it could have been villages that any alcohol is illegal to be in possesion of. I didn't pay close attention, as I have never had the need to mail or send beer. I do know a common bottle of whiskey in the villages will bring 200 bucks, so maybe they are cracking down on sales.

geargnasher
03-24-2012, 07:48 PM
Beer is a "liquid", therfore prohibited by the PO. I'd never want them handling beer anyway, it would be so foamy by the time it got loaded in the first truck it wouldn't be fit to drink!

Gear

Three-Fifty-Seven
03-24-2012, 08:21 PM
form ...

gandydancer
03-24-2012, 08:36 PM
Gandydancer: Long guns are legal to mail. Hand guns are a no no. When it comes to shipping guns I sometimes think we should let USPS go bankrupt, except Fex Ex and UPS are no better. All the clerks that I have encountered seem to be idiots and should have no discretion as to what they can accept for shipping.
Thanks Duckiller for your help' GD

shotman
03-24-2012, 08:41 PM
the 70lb and the lead is going to be history soon . They are going to 40lb and stop lead. thats what is in the new proposal the district usps guy told me about 2 months back in jan when the got all the new computers. seems the scales are failing so they are going to drop the weight in place of replaceing the scales.
As of right now they can refuse lead and some will. IT IS HAZMAT by epa, but right now most will take it . I changed to useing the SFR box can get 20lbs in it and everyone is happy

danski26
03-24-2012, 09:00 PM
"
Jeff, I watched a program where they have been opening packages here that they suspect contain beer wine or whiskey and prosecuting the sender.
It was focused on mail going to villages, and a lot of them it is banned, so maybe that is the reason."

Post office employees need a search warrant to open any packages in the system. I've never seen or heard of any warrants being written for prohibited liquids. They would have to write a federal warrant for that first of all, which is quite the paperwork. Normaly the postal inspectors will call us local guys to write a state warrant because it is much easier but that can only be done enforcing a state law. Prohibited liquids would be a Federal "code" or Federal administrative rule more liklely.

largom
03-24-2012, 09:17 PM
"Machined parts" also works well as a description.

This is what I always use, especially if shipping to Canada.

Larry

imashooter2
03-24-2012, 09:37 PM
For what I ship, "castings" or "machine parts" works for me.