PDA

View Full Version : Ruger M77 Tang Safety

wtfooptimax200
03-23-2012, 12:32 PM
I love the ergonomics of my M77 Tang Safety 30-06 and as I use other bolt guns I keep coming back to how much I love my Tang Safety. Has anyone had any luck building a custom gun (with aftermarket barrel) on a Tang Safety action? Can they be made to be as accurate as a custom 700?

Thanks,
Branden

Idaho Sharpshooter
03-23-2012, 12:55 PM
the new Ruger bolt rifles have the tang safety.

The trigger will keep a Ruger from matching the 700 for accuracy.

bowfin
03-23-2012, 03:21 PM
Savages have tang safeties. They are pretty accurate, according to the ones I have shot.

I could never understand why people get so giddy over the Winchester Model 70 safety. I always thought Savage's tang safety had it beat by a mile.

Uncle R.
03-23-2012, 05:14 PM
Ruger's tang safety blocks the trigger. Trigger blocking safeties may be be OK on pump shotguns but they don't make sense on a rifle intended for accurate shooting.
<
Winchester's model 70 safety locks the striker. You can have a very light trigger with absolutely minimum sear engagement and pull weight - and still have a rifle with an extremely positive safety.
<
There's a substantial real-world difference in safety and reliability. Maybe even enough to make me giddy.
<
Uncle R.

Lloyd Smale
03-24-2012, 06:24 AM
i think theoreticaly the remington would be more accurate. the bedding system on a ruger leaves something to be desired but then I also belive that the barrel is the heart of accuracy in any rifle and a ruger or any other action can be made into a rifle accurate enough that anyone short of a bench rest shooter would be happy. Another problem with doing customs on savages, rugers, howas ect is your going to loose alot of money if you ever sell it. Its tough to even recoup the cost of doing one on a remington or winchester but those two hands down will get you more money back.

bowfin
03-24-2012, 04:33 PM
I always thought Savage's tang safety had it beat by a mile.

Ruger's tang safety blocks the trigger.

But the question remains, how is the Winchester safety better than the SAVAGE safety? I don't think Savage's Accu Trigger takes a back seat to Winchester's trigger.

Adk Mike
03-30-2012, 10:15 PM
I've had one in 280 for 30 years. It's been all over the country with me. Several years ago I had it custom stocked,glass and pillar bedded. It will shoot with the best. I always use handloads. It has the Factory barrel.

NVcurmudgeon
03-31-2012, 07:49 PM
I have an early (1971 or so) tang safety Ruger 77. I had a Lilja barrel in .35 Whelen installed and the action and first two inches of the barrel glass bedded. After more than 5,000 rounds, mostly cast, the barrel still looks like new inside. It has won the scoped rifle 100 yd. group event several times at the NCBS with five shot groups of 1.0 +/-. Twist is 1:16 and the best cast bullet is a 213 gr. NEI version of Lyman's current 200 gr. RN. RCBS 200 gr. FP is also good. Three-shot groups with 250 gr. Speer or Nosler Partition bullets are always under an inch, sometimes half inch.

barkerwc4362
03-31-2012, 09:18 PM
I have a Spanish Santa Barbara Mauser action custom rifle that has the Ruger style tang safety. It uses a modified Timney trigger. I also have two M77s, a 77R in 7x57 and a a 77V in 22-250 with tang safeties. I really prefer the tang safety on a hunting rifle.

Bill

Moondawg
03-31-2012, 10:15 PM
I have a Ruger 77 , tang safety that I bought in 1971. Currently it is on it's 3d aftermarket barrel, a Shilen in 338/06, previously it has been a 6.5/06 and a 280 Remington. The action has been glass bedded, and I have a Canjar trigger that breaks at 1 lb. With load development, each of the barrels has shot 1" 5 shot groups or slightly better. This is a hunting rifle and I don't shoot at anything over about 350 yards, so MOA is plenty good. I love this rifle and will never sell it. I will probably have it buried with me.