PDA

View Full Version : Greenville NC

94Doug
03-23-2012, 11:05 AM
We are headed to NC for the YMCA National Swim event. Anyone from the area have any suggestions for things to do or see while we are there for the week?

OK, I made a mistake, I originally posted "Greensville" it's GREENSBORO. Makes you wonder how Dads ever make it anywhere.

Thanks,
Doug

jsizemore
03-23-2012, 11:10 PM
I've only been to Greenville a few times for work and gun shows. I go to Parker's Barbecue. They serve traditional eastern NC style barbecue. Try the pulled or chopped pork. A mess of collards, brunswick stew, cornsticks and banana puddin' for dessert. They serve it warm. The tea is sweet.
The other place I go is Doc's Gun and Pawn. Lots of stuff but few deals. I have seen some nice early Colt SAA's there.

Good Luck with the Nationals.

Jim
03-23-2012, 11:15 PM
I've only been to Greenville a few times for work and gun shows. I go to Parker's Barbecue. They serve traditional eastern NC style barbecue. Try the pulled or chopped pork. A mess of collards, brunswick stew, cornsticks and banana puddin' for dessert. They serve it warm. The tea is sweet.
The other place I go is Doc's Gun and Pawn. Lots of stuff but few deals. I have seen some nice early Colt SAA's there.

Good Luck with the Nationals.

Man, that's some of the best BBQ in th' WORLD!!

94Doug
03-24-2012, 10:53 AM
Awesome guys, I love BBQ!! that's what I was hoping to hear. I have always wanted to try the real thing, not a "up nort" alternative. It's been a wild year, making Nationals was pretty much unexpected. He also is getting his Eagle Badge soon, we're pretty proud of him, he's a good kid.

Doug

jsizemore
03-24-2012, 02:49 PM
If you decide to try a barbecue sandwich and they ask if you want slaw, they mean on the sandwich. Check to see if they have some fresh skins fried on the premises. A little Texas Pete to spice up everything.

Congratulations to your son for all his hard work in and out of the pool.

I remember 3 a days started with a 1650 for warmup each 2 hour practice session. I was in bed every night at 9pm just whooped.

The kids nowadays are going even faster. That's a lot of hard work.

Moonie
03-27-2012, 12:43 PM
You still in Greensboro? I live just a short ways away and know lots of things to do. You would have to be more specific on what you are interested in.

And yes, this area has some of the best BBQ in the world, but it is different then everywhere else.

94Doug
03-27-2012, 10:14 PM
Haven't left yet. The YMCA Nationals start next week. BBQ sounds interesting, I am not sure what else we will be up for.

Doug

94Doug
03-31-2012, 10:59 PM
OK......we started out at 0300 this morning, and just rollled in.

Doug