PDA

View Full Version : Corncob mould

nvbirdman
03-23-2012, 12:16 AM
I have always wanted a corncob ingot mould. I don't need one, I just want one. Kinda like the reason I have more than one gun. OK, we got that out of the way.
I was in a thrift store the other day, (I get into one about once a year) and I saw two cc moulds for five bucks each so I bought one. Five dollars is probably more than I should have paid, but the reason I make money is so I can spend it on toys so as long as I'm happy that's what counts.

geargnasher
03-23-2012, 12:20 AM
I saw a half dozen or so at an antique show a few weeks ago, cheapest one was $45. You should have gotten both and doubled your money by selling one of them here.

Gear

Springfield
03-23-2012, 12:53 AM
Never understood why guys think is is OK to spend 13 bucks on a Lyman/saeco/Lee mould that will do 4 ingots but think 5 bucks is too much for a corncob mold that will do 7 ingots!I have a bunch of CC moulds, work great.

Certaindeaf
03-23-2012, 01:04 AM
I've got a beaut up in the attic. Won't use that on lead. Saw one at a thrift store a few months ago for a pittance and left it. I guess I'm sorta wierd that way.

DLCTEX
03-23-2012, 01:13 AM
I've got one that I use for pure lead ingots only. Don't have to wonder what the alloy is. Paid $3.95 for it a few years ago at a Walls discount store.
When I saw the title of this thread I thought your media had molded.

Certaindeaf
03-23-2012, 01:19 AM
For some reason I thought I'd get schooled on how to use an actual corn cob as a mold.
There's this youngun on utube that uses particle board to cast 12ga slugs.. pretty cool.

Mooseman
03-23-2012, 01:44 AM
Are you talking about the Cast Iron cornbread mold that looks like 1/2 an ear of corn ?
I have 2 or 3 I have picked up at yard sales !

ku4hx
03-23-2012, 04:20 AM
I have always wanted a corncob ingot mould. I don't need one, I just want one. Kinda like the reason I have more than one gun. OK, we got that out of the way.
I was in a thrift store the other day, (I get into one about once a year) and I saw two cc moulds for five bucks each so I bought one. Five dollars is probably more than I should have paid, but the reason I make money is so I can spend it on toys so as long as I'm happy that's what counts.

Spray paint 'em yellow and put them in the Thanksgiving table setting. A little touching up and such and they look like something the original settlers would have loved. Not to mention the grand kids faces if they pick one up ... or accidentally do a drop test.

olafhardt
03-23-2012, 06:17 AM
Before my bypass I smoked corncob pipes that I made my self. I loved that corn cob smoke flavor. Corn cobs are good bar be que "wood". I quit useing them because the smell made me want to smoke so bad. I had to check this thread because I thought of smoke curling up from holes in cobs being poured full of lead.

ku4hx
03-23-2012, 06:42 AM
Before my bypass I smoked corncob pipes that I made my self. I loved that corn cob smoke flavor. Corn cobs are good bar be que "wood". I quit useing them because the smell made me want to smoke so bad. I had to check this thread because I thought of smoke curling up from holes in cobs being poured full of lead.

You could try smokin' a mold to satisfy your craving.

nvbirdman
03-23-2012, 04:52 PM
Yes, these were the cast iron moulds, and the reason they were only five dollars was because they weren't vintage moulds in an antique store. In fact when I got home with it I put it in my wood stove to burn off the newness.

Mooseman
03-23-2012, 05:02 PM
Yep...some are stamped "Taiwan" on the bottom side...

nvbirdman
03-23-2012, 07:52 PM
The brand on this one is Lodge, and on the bottom is cast in (not stamped) USA.

mooman76
03-23-2012, 09:20 PM
Lodge makes good stuff. I picked up a lodge loaf pan last weekend for $5 and it's broke in. Too big for ingots but will make a nice cornbread pan. They also had something I hadn't seen or figured out. Aluminum pan that had egg shapes with a top. Would have made good small ingots but I already have several ingot moulds.

Le Loup Solitaire
03-23-2012, 09:20 PM
Made out of cast iron to which lead will not stick, these molds were originally made by Griswold and Wagner to bake cornbread "cobs". They are considered collectible and are worth more than just a few bucks. They are findable on the net and in antique stores....and not cheap to buy. Lodge which is the only remaining manufacturer of cast iron cooking ware in the USA still makes them. The ones that are marked "made in Taiwan" or just "made in USA" aren't expensive or worth very much...are often found in thrift/dollar stores and make good ingot molds. They don't need to be rusted or sprayed with anything to do their job. LLS

Von Dingo
03-24-2012, 04:24 PM
I picked up a lodge loaf pan last weekend for $5 and it's broke in. Too big for ingots but will make a nice cornbread pan. They also had something I hadn't seen or figured out. Aluminum pan that had egg shapes with a top. Would have made good small ingots but I already have several ingot moulds.

Cornbreak comes outta the cast iron skillet?

The aluminum pan could have been for deviled eggs?