PDA

View Full Version : Largest WW I've ever seen

zomby woof
03-22-2012, 04:43 PM
While driving to take my daughter to work (she has her learner's permit) we pulled off the expressway and onto an off ramp and stopped at the light. Being in the passenger seat, it was my chance to look for wheel weights. Sure enough there it was, there was no getting out. I thought about it the whole while to her job. The ramp is in a very busy spot. I drove back, parked in a local business, ran across four busy lanes of traffic. I got to the island around all the traffic and went right to it. It weighs a whopping 6 ounces. Wow!!!

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/DSCN1015.JPG

birdadly
03-22-2012, 04:52 PM
I've yet to see a clip-on that big, nice. And a fun story to boot :) I recently found the biggest stick-on I've seen. Not saying it's unique, but it was a first for me. -Brad

2muchstuf
03-22-2012, 04:54 PM
Not trying to top your story by any means zombie, but...............
I have a 12oz.er that measures zacly 6.75 in.
Also have one just like yours.
These came from a truck driver friend of mine.
I just can't bring myself to melt them down.

No pics, so believe it or not.

DeanWinchester
03-22-2012, 04:54 PM
Ohh I like them. I get them occasionally from a place that services 18 wheelers. Lemme tell ya, a five gallon bucket of those is dang difficult to pick up! Boy they smelt down nice too. Beats the heck out of little passenger car weights. I melted a coffee can full of quarter oz weights once....it's barely worth the effort.

Silvercreek Farmer
03-22-2012, 05:11 PM
Nice, I need to go by the truck tire center here in town. The big ones are WAY more efficient to melt down. I find a weight about every month or so, but certainly not enough to support a habit!

Shiloh
03-22-2012, 06:25 PM
Nice, I need to go by the truck tire center here in town. The big ones are WAY more efficient to melt down. I find a weight about every month or so, but certainly not enough to support a habit!

Sounds like a habit looking for them.

Shiloh

soldierbilly1
03-22-2012, 07:06 PM
So, when you skim the pot, there is only one clip.
How unfulfilling.

nice find

bill boy

JeffinNZ
03-22-2012, 07:31 PM
I got one of them a while back. Pulled up at an intersection, flicked the seat belt, leaned out and bingo! It was a good day.

monge
03-22-2012, 07:44 PM
every time someones car vibrates at work they ask me if I took there ww. :lovebooli

flipajig
03-22-2012, 09:25 PM
Looks like a truck weight.
I wish I had some. When I was younger they were everywhere
My dad was a truck driver

Ole
03-22-2012, 09:33 PM
I have to dodge traffic for my job, but I could just imagine what the person must have thought with you jumping out of your car to grab a wheel weight off the ground. :lol:

(I stop to pick up WW's riding my bike all the time)

runfiverun
03-22-2012, 11:21 PM
i have a few that are a lb and used to have a 20 oz one.
they seem to have more antimony in them.

DLCTEX
03-23-2012, 01:30 AM
Every few weeks I go to our major intersection in town, yes, we only have one, and pick up WW from the trucks stopping and starting at the 4 way red blinking light. Every vehicle has to stop and start there. I usually gain a pound or two, and some strange looks. With our oil boom ongoing there are many trucks daily.

Silvercreek Farmer
03-23-2012, 10:10 AM
Sounds like a habit looking for them.

Shiloh

Been picking them up (among other little metal bits) since I was a kid. Always knew that they would be good for something, just didn't know what!

alamogunr
03-23-2012, 10:27 AM
Several years ago I got about half a 5 gal. bucket of truck weights. Several looked to be about that size. Most were smaller but still way bigger than passenger WW. They were brand new. The guys that worked in the back of the tire place said the clips were bad and would let go at speed. I'm still not sure they were supposed to give them to me, but I didn't think abut that until I had melted them down. I doubt I'll ever see a deal like that again.

bowfin
03-23-2012, 10:27 AM
It makes you wonder what quality of tire / wheel combination needs six ounces to balance it.

45-70 Chevroner
03-23-2012, 11:07 AM
bowfin: An 18 wheeler truck with tires 5 times larger than a car tire and 10 times heavier. As mentioned by others I used to get wheel weights at truck tire shops that weighed as much as 20 oz. The bigger the tire the more out of balance they can be. If you compare percentage to weight it probably comes out about the same.

bgokk
03-23-2012, 11:12 AM
While driving to take my daughter to work (she has her learner's permit) we pulled off the expressway and onto an off ramp and stopped at the light. Being in the passenger seat, it was my chance to look for wheel weights. Sure enough there it was, there was no getting out. I thought about it the whole while to her job. The ramp is in a very busy spot. I drove back, parked in a local business, ran across four busy lanes of traffic. I got to the island around all the traffic and went right to it. It weighs a whopping 6 ounces. Wow!!!

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/DSCN1015.JPG

I stopped in at a local recycler on the way home from a gunshow in Salem, AR. I bought what lead they had for $0.25 per pound. These were in the batch
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_73004f6c9115ca34f.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=4537)

Here is the rest.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_73004f5c298f8bc9c.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=4369)

JohnFM
03-23-2012, 11:14 AM
Yeah, it's all a matter of the mass of the tires.
Big truck tires are BIG and heavy, just takes more weight to balance them, no great mystery.
Don't know about the new ones but the older ones are great.
Way less percentage of clips and dross when smelting.

prs
03-23-2012, 02:39 PM
Truck tire service places are good haunts, as are school bus garages. Those big weights seem to be of a stronger alloy too, like hard ball. My friend who used to save them for me has passed on so I have not been getting those lead bananas recently.

prs

wrench man
03-24-2012, 12:09 AM
It weighs a whopping 6 ounces. Wow!!!

I'll see your 6 and raise you ten!
http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx190/ramblerinternational/guns/wheelweights.jpg

Humbo
03-24-2012, 12:30 PM
Now and then I come across ww's for 18wheelers, the biggest I've seen are some of 500 grams, which translates to 17.6 ounces. 1ww = 1 ingot. Most of them are 300 or 350 grams though.

JeffinNZ
03-24-2012, 01:37 PM
Now and then I come across ww's for 18wheelers, the biggest I've seen are some of 500 grams, which translates to 17.6 ounces. 1ww = 1 ingot. Most of them are 300 or 350 grams though.

1/2 a kilo! That's not a wheel weight. That's ballast! ;)

Scramjet
03-24-2012, 03:52 PM
I have a friend who is a mechanic at a local school bus maintence shop. This last year he has started saving the wheel weights tthey are very large doesn't take much for those to add up!

BAGTIC
03-24-2012, 04:47 PM
When I lived in town I walked every day for exercise for my heart. I got a copy of the city street sweeping schedule. It repeated every two weeks. I would walk the day before the sweeper came by. That way there was 13 day accumulation. Intersections produce the best since they contain deposits from cross traffic, twice as much as a one way road. Gas stations, parking lot entrances, etc. are also good a people tend to hit the bump hard. One on my best sites was the local tire shops where I got a lot of clean NEW weights that did not stay on long enough to get out of the lot. I could usuall get 5-15 pounds in an hour walk. I have even found a few of the BIG ones and they surely weighed at least 20 ounces and were about a foot long.

tinsnips
03-26-2012, 07:31 PM
After years of collecting WW i finally found the largest of my career about 9 inches long 1Pd 2oz. Would be nice if all cars used those big ones.

mo_bio
03-26-2012, 09:35 PM
It is good to have a friend that works at the bus maintanance shop. He brings me ice cream buckets with 6-9 oz weights pretty often. It sure doesn't take many to fill up some muffin tins.

kenjuudo
03-27-2012, 08:39 AM