PDA

View Full Version : Just discovered ( by me ) - I love this quote.

williamwaco
03-21-2012, 06:36 PM
“The proper sizing of cast bullets is a subject for madmen and Satan-worshippers.”

John Wootters The Handloader, No. 33.

SlippShodd
03-21-2012, 08:00 PM
I loved John Wootters. I have several of his old reloading articles kept in a 3-ring binder with other reloading reference material. I miss the writings of folks like him and Skeeter Skelton, Bob Milek, Jan Stevenson, Dean Grennell. Those guys helped me through a lot of reloading and shooting puzzles in my misspent youth.
Fun quote.

mike

stubshaft
03-21-2012, 11:25 PM
That was back in the day when gun writers were more informational and did not push the advertisers products.

Can't forget Patrick Mcmanus, Elmer Keith and Ross Seyfried.

Certaindeaf
03-21-2012, 11:56 PM
That was back in the day when gun writers were more informational and did not push the advertisers products.

I'm a stationary modified panicker myself. Woot!

geargnasher
03-21-2012, 11:58 PM
They shoot canoes, don't they?

Gear

Certaindeaf
03-21-2012, 11:59 PM
Never laughed so hard in all my born days. The man has a gift.

03-22-2012, 06:15 AM
I'm a PF Worthless fan myself. When he switched to outdoor life years ago I did too. My favorite gun writer is Jim Carmichael.

Leslie Sapp
03-22-2012, 08:42 AM
My favorite McManus story - "Poof, No Eyebrows"
Never fails to remind me what it was like, at the age of fifteen, to discover black powder. :-)

Shuz
03-22-2012, 09:39 AM
They shoot canoes, don't they?

Gear

There sure do! but never sniff a gift fish!

I've often wondered if Grogan's Surplus was Spokane's famous "White Elephant" store.

Sandpoint,Id ain't thet fur from Spokane according to Rancid Crabtree.

midnight
03-22-2012, 09:47 AM
"IMHO" Dean Grennell is my favorite. Way before cell phones and text messaging. Maybe some of you will get it.

Bob

Guesser
03-22-2012, 10:07 AM
Billy Goats (still) Don't Say Cheese!!! Whip slam, whip slam, whip slam!!!!

Beau Cassidy
03-22-2012, 10:08 AM
My favorite Patrick McManis quote is "Never sniff a gift fish."

SlippShodd
03-22-2012, 10:52 AM

I almost included Elmer and Ross in my list, but that would have been bowing to simple hero worship. Ross always wrote about shooting the same calibers that I was interested in, and his writing spoke directly to me. He once wrote a sidebar article about his favorite hunting knife, and after a particularly difficult knifefight with a dead elk one fall, I ordered one just like it. Turns out, he endorsed it for some very good reasons and I thank him every hunting season for telling me about it. He was also the celebrity king of IPSC when I got into it.
Elmer... well, hell, what's to say, he's right here. Every day his hard work and perseverence are evident on this board. We can tinker all we want, but the failsafe, go-to bullet designs that we use today are really all about him and his backwoods genius. Being a fellow Idaho hillbilly doesn't hurt his credentials with me either. Our Cabelas store here in Boise has the Elmer Keith collection permanently exhibited in a special room with guns, photos, articles, his typewriter, and other memorabilia. It's... fascinating. I got to fire Elmer's old 1911 when his son Ted started shooting IPSC with us eons ago.
Oddly, I only own a couple McManus books... he may not be silly enough for me. ;-)

stub, you and Gear are tied for my favorite sig lines. :)

mike

williamwaco
03-22-2012, 10:55 AM

What day was that?

I was taught reloading by a very well known gun writer in the 1950's.

He was BLATANT about touting products of the advertisers and some what were not advertisers. He showed me that they all were, if you just look for it in thier writings.

He didn't tout them as much for the magazine as for himself. At least once or sometimes twice a month, some manufacturer would send him some new or existing product ( that he had mentioned recently ) to "try out". Four or five times a year he would receive a new handgun from Colt, Smith, or Ruger to "evaluate".

SlippShodd
03-22-2012, 10:55 AM
"IMHO" Dean Grennell is my favorite. Way before cell phones and text messaging. Maybe some of you will get it.
Bob

Every time I go out early in the morning and flip on the lead pot, then have to come back in the house and change footwear, I'm reminded of his warning about a carpet slipper full of molten lead.

mike

Ecramer
03-22-2012, 01:41 PM
I remember Grennell's warning about the carpet slippers. "I received several impromptu castings of the spaces between my toes. I beg you not to speculate on the language I used on this occasion."

Papa smurf
03-22-2012, 01:54 PM
Good Old Days--------- Any of you youngsters ever order from Bannermans ? I did.
Good shooting---------------------------------------Papa Smurf

Shuz
03-22-2012, 02:38 PM
How about Esman's in Turtle Crick,Pa.?

bruce drake
03-22-2012, 02:57 PM
MY first reloading book was Dean Grennell's ABCs of Reloading. I love his approach to writing.

quack1
03-22-2012, 09:59 PM
How about Esman's in Turtle Crick,Pa.?

I was there a few times. Crick-you must have grown up in western Pa.
Ever get to Flaigs in Millvale?

kenyerian
03-22-2012, 10:10 PM
I liked Jack O'Conners articles so much that my first center fire was a 270.

Shiloh
03-23-2012, 06:03 AM

McManus and Retch Sweeney are still around aren't they??

Shiloh

Shuz
03-23-2012, 08:09 PM
I was there a few times. Crick-you must have grown up in western Pa.
Ever get to Flaigs in Millvale?

Yep--Been to Flaigs. I grew up in Green Tree, and went to old Dormont High School(now Keystone Oakes) Graduated from IUP in 1967. Been living out west for the past 37 years.
Still a Pgh "Stiller" fan!

Big Boomer
03-23-2012, 09:23 PM
My favorite McManus story - "Poof, No Eyebrows"
Never fails to remind me what it was like, at the age of fifteen, to discover black powder.

Reminds me of my oft-proved-wrong philosophy of my mis-spent youth: "If a little is good, a whole lot must be better!" 'Tuck (as in Kentuck)

uscra112
03-23-2012, 10:45 PM
Some of those guys (OK, not Elmer) learned their licks from Gerald Averill. Now, I admit I wasn't even born yet when he was writing, but I still pull out my old American Rifleman mags for a laugh now and then.

Chamfered
03-23-2012, 10:55 PM
Good Wooters qoute, I definetly like Grinnel. His writting style was more that of a humble tinkering machinist that liked shooting and casting. I probably have read his Book of the 45 half a dozen times.