PDA

View Full Version : average weight of muffins??

45pro
03-20-2012, 08:17 PM
I dont have a scale to weigh them but i got 78 muffins out of a HEAPING 5 gallon bucket. So about how much weight did i get? Whats the average weight of each muffin?

hydraulic
03-20-2012, 08:59 PM
Coincidence! Got to wondering about the same thing, yesterday, so I took what looked like an average sized muffin with me when I walked down to the post office and stopped into the grocery store and weighed it on their produce scale. 1.87 lbs.

Ole
03-20-2012, 09:26 PM
Coincidence! Got to wondering about the same thing, yesterday, so I took what looked like an average sized muffin with me when I walked down to the post office and stopped into the grocery store and weighed it on their produce scale. 1.87 lbs.

Some lead alarmist is going to see you weighing a lead ingot on a produce scale and think you're a terrorist.

:mrgreen:

Ole
03-20-2012, 09:30 PM
I just weighed 8 of mine.

1.30, 1.55, 1.80, 1.85, 2.00, 2.15, 2.20 and 2.25 were the weights.

Ole
03-20-2012, 09:34 PM
I'm guessing (stab in the dark) that you got 120lbs out of that bucket if there weren't any/many zinkers or waste.

Last time I smelted a whole 5 gallon bucket of clip-ons I got just over 100 lbs of useable ingots.

SlippShodd
03-21-2012, 01:31 AM
I just put up a little over 25 pounds of range lead today... the muffins were mostly in the 28 ounce range.

mike

ku4hx
03-21-2012, 06:18 AM
I dont have a scale to weigh them but i got 78 muffins out of a HEAPING 5 gallon bucket. So about how much weight did i get? Whats the average weight of each muffin?

Some of mine in pounds are 2.2, 1.6, 1.9, 2.5, 2.1, and one little thin baby muffin is about .25. The thin one was the last of a batch.

UtopiaTexasG19
03-21-2012, 08:20 AM
Final weight of muffins is determined by how much butter you slather on top. :)

prs
03-21-2012, 09:43 AM
My muffins may be bigger than your muffins. I use a stainless commercial type soup ladel to fill my muffin tins. The ladel, brim full, holds one cup or 8 fluid ouncs. I put the whole 8oz of molten alloy into each tin and surface tension helps keep it from running. They tip the scale pretty close to 2 1/2# consistently, at least until my smelt pot gets low and filling the ladel gets difficult. Gee, if I had any math skills at all I could calculate the VMD of my alloy.

prs

alamogunr
03-21-2012, 10:09 AM
I would think that muffin sizes would be all over the map. I have several iron muffin pans that cast an ingot that weighs about 1.25 lbs each. They work well for my bottom pour pots. At one time I had a couple of pans that cast an ingot that weighed over 2.5 lbs. These weren't called muffin pans but I'm not a cook and can't remember the actual name. The steel WalMart pans I started out with put out an ingot about 2 lbs. I finally got tired of working so hard to get the ingots out and threw them away.

I like the 1.25 lb muffins because they fit so well in the boxes I store them in. Each box holds about 100 lbs.

**oneshot**
03-21-2012, 11:36 AM
5 normal muffin tins works out to about 9lbs average. I use 9lbs in my mix and some are a little shy on weight and some are slightly over.

cf_coder
03-21-2012, 12:00 PM
Like others have said, it will vary based on the muffin tin. Mine average right around 1.5 pounds each with wheel weight alloy.

montana_charlie
03-21-2012, 12:25 PM
... dimensions ... ?

45-70 Chevroner
03-21-2012, 12:46 PM
I quit using muffin tins as they don't fit very well in my 10# Lee pot. I use four 1 pound ingot molds that make 4 each and I know one thing for sure I can put two buckets full of tire weights in to one bucket after making ingots out of them and it will weight about 200 + pounds. Ingots from these four molds will very in weight by as much as 1/4 pound as to how carefull I am filling them. Muffin tin ingots would weigh on average of about 2 pounds.

SlowSmokeN
03-21-2012, 02:37 PM
I weighed 15 of mine at the post office. The lightest was 2 lbs and the heaviest was 2lbs 3.5oz

Wolfer
03-21-2012, 05:41 PM
Don't remember where or when I weighed them but I always think of them as 21/2 lbs.

On the steel muffin tins mine was getting hard to get the ingot out so I got the bright idea to grease them up with some old homemade lube like you would with cupcakes. Well that acted just like flux with solder and they couldn't be peeled off they had to be melted out.

cf_coder
03-21-2012, 05:46 PM
you think that is bad... I had a muffin tin I got at Goodwill, apparently it was tin lined and when I poured in some high tin lead alloy, it stuck to it real good. Had to peel away what was left after the "cup" separated from the rest of the pan. Never again. Cheap aluminum or cast iron molds from here on out.. LOL

Wolfer
03-21-2012, 06:05 PM
I'm finding that on this site that a lot of my expierences are not unique.

Sonnypie
03-21-2012, 06:45 PM
Were the muffins plain? Or did they have Blueberries in them?

Wolfer
03-21-2012, 07:27 PM
Don't know, broke a tooth trying to chew em

JohnFM
03-21-2012, 07:50 PM
I would think that muffin sizes would be all over the map. I have several iron muffin pans that cast an ingot that weighs about 1.25 lbs each. They work well for my bottom pour pots. At one time I had a couple of pans that cast an ingot that weighed over 2.5 lbs. These weren't called muffin pans but I'm not a cook and can't remember the actual name. The steel WalMart pans I started out with put out an ingot about 2 lbs. I finally got tired of working so hard to get the ingots out and threw them away.

I like the 1.25 lb muffins because they fit so well in the boxes I store them in. Each box holds about 100 lbs.

I picked up some of those muffin pans at wally world.
I don't know what kind of "steel" they're made of, but yeah, getting the ingots out is a total pain.
Fact I got a pan full out there now with all the cups full of seized in ingots.
Guess I'll put a torch to the back side tomorrow to get them out and toss those suckers.

cf_coder
03-21-2012, 07:56 PM
I think they are lined with some kind of Tin... Gonna try torching a set first to see what burns off. I ruined a similar set of muffin tins. Had to peel the metal away from the lead... :-(

45pro
03-21-2012, 08:13 PM
i got my muffin tray at walmart also. They do not stick at all. I can leave them in there for however long i want and they fall right out when i turn it over. A tap is not even nessesary 9/10 times. Guess i got lucky??

JohnFM
03-21-2012, 08:39 PM
Those I bought I bet have a flash coat of tin.
I bought them for two reasons, they were cheap natch and said made in USA.

It was still decent out so I went out and fired up a big torch, I basically had to melt them free, they were soldered to the pans.

Wolfer
03-21-2012, 08:47 PM
Mine came apart so I had little cups of lead. The next time I mixed a batch I just throwed in cup and all and directly they floated like WW clips.

Lead Freak
03-21-2012, 08:49 PM

If you lived in California, the EPA would be called in to de-contaminate the produce scale after you weighed that Pb muffin.:-D

John Boy
03-21-2012, 08:58 PM
Whats the average weight of each muffin? How can anyone on this thread come up with average weight of the ingots. A picture would be helpful. Otherwise - Hail Mary, a Blind Shot in the Dark

Pro, your best bet is to call a neighbor to use their bathroom scale. Then let us all know what you have ... Good Luck

ku4hx
03-22-2012, 10:49 AM
How can anyone on this thread come up with average weight of the ingots. A picture would be helpful. Otherwise - Hail Mary, a Blind Shot in the Dark

Pro, your best bet is to call a neighbor to use their bathroom scale. Then let us all know what you have ... Good Luck
Here you go:

http://s1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg639/ku4hx/?action=view&current=VeryHardyMuffins.jpg

SlippShodd
03-22-2012, 12:26 PM
Here you go:

http://s1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg639/ku4hx/?action=view&current=VeryHardyMuffins.jpg

Ah, good fill out, nice crisp edges (except the leaning one... looks to have a ding in the trailing edge, might not erase in sizing). Air cooled or water dropped?
:coffeecom

mike

ku4hx
03-22-2012, 01:09 PM
Ah, good fill out, nice crisp edges (except the leaning one... looks to have a ding in the trailing edge, might not erase in sizing). Air cooled or water dropped?
:coffeecom

mike

Floor dropped.