PDA

View Full Version : Smelting WW question with stick on weights.

Aaron
03-28-2007, 10:55 PM
Is it that big of deal to leave the few stick on weights mixed in with the rest of the WWs? I realize it changes the lead concentration from batch to batch, but again is it a big deal?

Aaron

pumpguy
03-28-2007, 11:20 PM
Not really a huge deal. Softens up the bullets. You may want to save it for any hunting air cooled bullets you may make down the road. Probably do not want to push a ton of them down the barrell real fast. Do make sure they are lubed really well. Welcome aboard by the way.

Aaron
03-28-2007, 11:35 PM
Thanks Pumpguy. I noticed you are in Colorado. I live in the Springs. There is a 55 gal drum full of lino down here that a guy wants .55 lb for it. I can't swing it right now, if you or any other local folk are interested, I'll point out where it is at.

Aaron

Bigjohn
03-28-2007, 11:54 PM
If you smelt it into ingots with the other WW it will soften up that batch of smelt only.

Option is to sort them aside and smelt them on there own. Add a little at a time later to soften a mix in a controlled manner.

Mark the different ingots with a stamp or scratch mark; texta fades as I am just finding out.

John.

NVcurmudgeon
03-29-2007, 01:53 AM
Aaron, I always smelt tape-on weights separately. Their pure lead material makes them valuable for two purposes. They can be traded to muzzle loader fans, and they make the best slugs for measuring barrels. Every once in a blue moon, I melt up a pot of tape weights and cast a few boolits from several different moulds, even "raisins" from cold moulds up are OK for slugs. I use .45 slugs for .44 barrels, .44s for .35, .35s for 8mm, 8mm for .30/.31, .30 for 7mm.

9.3X62AL
03-29-2007, 11:46 AM
I use .45 slugs for .44 barrels, .44s for .35, .35s for 8mm, 8mm for .30/.31, .30 for 7mm.

And all this time, I thought I was alone in this regard.

Marlin Junky
03-29-2007, 08:07 PM
Ya'll do know that the proper use of the term smelt applies to melting ores in order to separate the metallic constituents? I guess if you want to refer to a bucket o' wheel weights as boolit ore I conceed, but I think rendering substituted for smelting sounds more accurate/intelligent... IMHO

MJ

Aaron
03-29-2007, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the info. I assume your post was intended to be positive and not bash the new guy (me).

Aaron

leftiye
03-30-2007, 12:39 AM
Aaron, Hey, don't feel bad, he'd do the same to any of us (Ha Ha). I've kinda thought the use of the term wasn't quite correct, but (oh well,). M.J. Good infusion of truth there.

Marlin Junky
03-30-2007, 05:08 AM
Thanks for the info. I assume your post was intended to be positive and not bash the new guy (me).

Aaron

I do not bash/flame, only try to educate, learn and have fun.

MJ

Bigjohn
03-30-2007, 09:07 PM
Ya'll do know that the proper use of the term smelt applies to melting ores in order to separate the metallic constituents? I guess if you want to refer to a bucket o' wheel weights as boolit ore I conceed, but I think rendering substituted for smelting sounds more accurate/intelligent... IMHO

MJ

I also stand educated; it was a term I picked up.:coffee:

John

Aaron
03-30-2007, 11:33 PM
No sweat, education is what I am here for.

Thanks

Aaron

hunter64
03-31-2007, 12:57 AM
And with the separated stick on style wheel weights they are as close to pure lead for all intents and purposes. With a sample of pure lead and a sample of unknown lead you can determine the approximate hardness of it. Do a search with my handle and it goes into detail of how to determine the BN number of any unknown sample that you want to find out, need your pure lead the test lead, a steel ball bearing and a set of calipers.

Aaron
03-31-2007, 10:55 AM
Hunter63

Thanks, I need to check that kardness info. I have some ingots that were originally lead shielding in the walls of an xray room. As sheets, it seemed like pure lead and very malleable. After rendering into ingots, they definitely seem harder and do not have quite the dull thunk when dropped.

Aaron

**oneshot**
03-31-2007, 09:39 PM
In reference to smelting being defined as separating metal constituents. A bucket of wheel weights consists of lead alloy, steel clips, zinc trash, and other various loose or solid scrap. If smelted and skimmed properly they will all be seperated leaving only a good constitute of lead alloy in the pot.

That is my definition of Seperating Metals by Efficient Liquid Temperature controlING to get the bad stuff out.

LOL Sorry had to throw that in there.

Orygun
03-31-2007, 10:07 PM
[QUOTE.That is my definition of Seperating Metals by Efficient Liquid Temperature controlING to get the bad stuff out.

LOL Sorry had to throw that in there.QUOTE]

That was GOOD!!! :)

Springfield
03-31-2007, 10:07 PM
When I melt soft lead pipe or sheeting the ingots seem harder than the original lead. Don't know why, some sort of hardening 'cause of the heat, I suppose. I am sure someone here can enlighten us. Still tests soft with the tester, so I don't worry about it.