View Full Version : Russian parachute racing

Boz330
03-20-2012, 06:27 PM
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150123624928418

Bob

kodiak1
03-20-2012, 06:47 PM
Not my cup of tea!
That airplane looked perfectly fine to me no need to jump out of it!

Ken.

Longwood
03-20-2012, 06:52 PM
Not my cup of tea!

Ken.

NOPE!
Me neither.
I have flown from tall cliffs (Yosemite among them) and big mountains on Hang gliders and flown many types of planes.

I would never jump out of a plane that did not have too much gas on board.
You probably know that the only time an airplane has too much gas on board is when it is on FIRE.

waksupi
03-20-2012, 07:34 PM
Had I been the guy in the lower chute, and been armed, only one of us would have reached the ground alive!

Ozarklongshot
03-20-2012, 08:53 PM
It's called a "gift wrap" it still happens on occasion. Mostly while doing CRW (crew) Canopy relative work. I can't believe people still jump rounds!!

This is a modern sport gift wrap. Notice the attack angle of the video flyers canopy trying to keep up with the rapid decent.

http://youtu.be/ZZADyz4tD9I

I retired from being a skydiving videographer last year with 500+ jumps.

I loved jumping. It just got boring and a lot like work. Till you've done it (more than once) there is no way to explain what it is or the freedom you feel.

wgr
03-20-2012, 11:35 PM
Not my cup of tea!

Ken.
looks can be deceiving. the way i see it the only time you get hurt in a plane is when it hits the ground. so get out and let it land on its own:D

SquirrelHollow
03-20-2012, 11:48 PM
The most dangerous part of flying is landing.

If you never take off, you don't have to worry about it.

I prefer helicopters. When things go wrong, they REALLY go wrong. :dung_hits_fan:

Boz330
03-21-2012, 09:47 AM
It's called a "gift wrap" it still happens on occasion. Mostly while doing CRW (crew) Canopy relative work. I can't believe people still jump rounds!!

This is a modern sport gift wrap. Notice the attack angle of the video flyers canopy trying to keep up with the rapid decent.

http://youtu.be/ZZADyz4tD9I

I retired from being a skydiving videographer last year with 500+ jumps.

I loved jumping. It just got boring and a lot like work. Till you've done it (more than once) there is no way to explain what it is or the freedom you feel.

The military still uses rounds and think how bad that would have been with that many squares in the air. The thing I didn't like was exiting the airplane in front of the engines. US military jump ships have the doors behind the wings, but then the Russians have never been known for concern for the common soldier.

As far as the sport canopy relative work, that is exactly why I didn't do it very long, too many variables that you can't control. You are putting yourself into the worst case scenario when :dung_hits_fan:.

Bob

oldred
03-21-2012, 10:36 AM
The most dangerous part of flying is landing.

Nope, by far the most dangerous thing about flying is driving to the airport!

I have been flying for well over 30 years and still have the old 1968 Cessna 150 I learned to fly in!

SquirrelHollow
03-21-2012, 11:46 PM
Nope, by far the most dangerous thing about flying is driving to the airport!

I have been flying for well over 30 years and still have the old 1968 Cessna 150 I learned to fly in!

You're doing better than I am.
Of the helicopters I was assigned to, 2 are in the boneyard, 1 lawn-darted into a Florida swamp, 2 got toasted (JDAMs) in Afghanistan, and parts of one are on display at Cherry Point's NADEP. I wasn't on board for any of the incidents, but the pilot in command was the same for all of them. :roll:

He was decorated for every mishap, too. :groner:

oldred
03-22-2012, 10:16 AM
Obviously military/combat flying does not count for my point.

Back in 1984 I had just gotten out of a Bell Jet Ranger that landed to let me get some pictures of storm damage to the newspaper, the pilot and two others then went back to take more photos. Less than 10 minutes later they hit a power line and destroyed the main rotor crashing into a brushy hillside. All on board survived but were seriously injured with one fellow being crippled for life, so yes it can happen. Had I not insisted on getting those photos back to the newspaper I might have been with that group and very well may not be here to type this, but of course due to the different string of events had I not decided to leave the group the accident may not have happened in the first place. But still, statistically speaking, flying (excluding military/combat obviously) is much safer than driving so you are safer flying over a highway than you are driving on it!.

Just out of curiosity I am trying to picture how two helicopters, with crew, were knocked out by JDAMS???? Was this due to some kind of accident?

bruce drake
03-22-2012, 12:04 PM
More likely they were damaged by groundfire during flight operations and made a hard landing and was subsequently destroyed by our own fire (JDAMs) to ensure the materials on the helicopters were not acquired by the Taliban after the crews were rescued and the helicopters were determined to be unserviceable for further repair. Back when I used to do recovery operations as an Ordnance Officer, I personally preferred to use a couple of Thermite Grenades and 5 gallon Jerrie cans of fuel to get a good burn when I had a DART mission on a bad crash out in the desert because the heat of the fire does a better destruction without going to the expense of using an expensive and limited JDAM to destroy the aircraft. Once all sensitive items are recovered, its a matter of just conducting overwatch on the burn to make sure no one tries to extinguish the fire.

oldred
03-22-2012, 02:11 PM
That makes sense, I just couldn't picture the same pilot (I didn't doubt it, I was just curious how) losing two choppers to JADAMS since they would have to already be on the ground or too close to the explosion.

Tom-ADC
03-22-2012, 02:37 PM
That makes sense, I just couldn't picture the same pilot (I didn't doubt it, I was just curious how) losing two choppers to JADAMS since they would have to already be on the ground or too close to the explosion.

I used to watch people jump out of our C130's and just shook my head knowing there was nothing wrong with the plane.