PDA

View Full Version : Elderberry Cordial Nya, Nya, Nya

Hamish
03-20-2012, 04:30 PM
Though I don't "partake" but two or three times a year, just came in from cutting the grass and pulled a special bottle out of the back of the refrigerator containing Elderberry syrup that SWMBO and I collected just before deer season last year and a colorless fluid of unknow origin that showed up on my doorstep awhile back and poured myself a tumbler full.

Mmmmm, mmmmm, mmmm! For those who have never tasted Elderberries, you have been denied one of the most wonderful tastes on Earth.

Heres to CB and getting our country back from the idgits!:drinks:

dragonrider
03-20-2012, 05:26 PM
Other than being an "old" berry what is an Elderberry???

Certaindeaf
03-20-2012, 05:29 PM

Doh! :drinks:

DIRT Farmer
03-20-2012, 08:34 PM
I have been threatning for the last few years to dump 20 pounds of elder berrys and 100 pounds of sugar in my old wood barrel, good thing about that batch size, you can make it to spring even after your friends find out.

Jailer
03-20-2012, 08:39 PM

Only one of the best berries ever if you can beat the birds to them.

dale2242
03-20-2012, 08:39 PM
Elderberries grow in my back yard....dale

Hamish
03-20-2012, 09:07 PM
What is an elderberry? An indescribable taste that once partaken of, wether on ice cream, or pancakes, or made into wine, or *whatever*, come late fall, you will catch yourself almost running off the road scanning for purple berry heads wherever you drive!

Two *wonderful* sites:

http://www.elderberries.com/2009/09/30/longer-than-expected/

http://elderberries.ning.com/

Health benefits:

http://articles.directorym.com/Benefit_Of_Elderberry_Massachusetts-r981649-Massachusetts.html

bob208
03-21-2012, 07:41 AM
elderberry wine reminds me of the old movie arsinic and old lace.

fryboy
03-21-2012, 08:05 AM
sadly they are also good for you ... i state sadly because if you promote their anti-viral or healthy benefits the FDA will come down on you like who goosed the moose ( who doesnt matter - the fact is that'd you'd be the moose ) i have a jar of concentrate ( mmm mmm good !! ) but not sure if my source will be having anymore :(

http://kcbeerblog.blogspot.com/2011/06/wyldewood-cellars-raid.html

june 3rd 2011 in the below link

http://www.healingtalks.com/tag/fda-us-marshals-raid-wyldewood-cellars/

44man
03-21-2012, 08:30 AM
I have not see elderberries since I left Ohio. They grew in swampy areas and covered acres. We always had pies back then.
I spent hours and hours peeling off the little things. [smilie=l:

frkelly74
03-21-2012, 02:11 PM
Our minister made some elderberry wine in 1998 and was afraid to try it out. So I volunteered, It was wonderful stuff and I told him it was and if he didn't want the other bottles I would dispose of them gladly. Maybe I should have told him it was terrible instead. But lying to a man of God got Annanias and Safira fried.

JeffinNZ
03-21-2012, 05:17 PM
Our trees are in fully bloom right now so I will try some. Like a weed here.

smoked turkey
03-22-2012, 08:28 AM
This reminds me of that old song by Tom T. Hall (?)....Ain't nothin' in this world thats worth a solitary dime but old dogs, and children , and watermelon wine.

Hamish
03-22-2012, 05:14 PM
Our trees are in fully bloom right now so I will try some. Like a weed here.

You can make "stuff" out of the blooms too!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=elderberry+flower+recipes&pc=Z128&form=ZGAIDF&install_date=20110808&iesrc=IE-SearchBox

gwpercle
03-22-2012, 06:04 PM
I like to make elderberry jelly , it's real good on hot biscuits. The first time I tried making jelly it didn't jell... made syrup instead but that was good on pancakes , waffles and on vanilla ice cream . Elderberries grow all over Louisiana... they grow in my front and back yards just about any where they can take root they will grow... like weeds only usefull. I tried making wine once. Mixed in all the sugar the juice would dissolve then covered the container with a cloth to keep flies out, I guess mother nature supplied some wild yeast cause it started fermenting. After all the bubbling stoped I strained it into bottles and let em sit because it was cloudy with sediment. when things cleared somewhat.... we tasted. Man that stuff had a real high alcoholic content ,,,drank some but the hangover was like a mule kick headache... sticking to jelly for now.....gary

GL49
03-22-2012, 08:18 PM
Geez, you guys are terrible. Now I'm going to have to call my 90 year old mother and tell her she's got to help me make elderberry jelly and syrup this fall. Haven't had that since I was a kid. Makes me hungry just thinking about it.

L Ross
03-22-2012, 08:53 PM
The wife and I cut the umbrells off with a scissors into a plastic shopping bag. The we get home with a bunch we use a wide toothed comb to rake the berries off the umbrells. Three teaspoons full of processed juice every night before bed to keep colds at bay. Oh, and then there is the wine from the "surplus" berries. We did 24 lbs in a couple of afternoons last Fall.

Duke

7br
03-23-2012, 09:06 AM
Wyldewood Cellars is just about 8 miles south of me. They specialize in elderberry wine. Also make cherry, blueberry and sandhill plum wine. They sell concentrate and syrup. I think they also sell plants. Might have to pick some up tonight as I will be planting trees on my dad's farm this weekend.

William Yanda
03-23-2012, 09:32 PM
Chuckling as I write. Once upon a time-this really happened guys-My Dad told an impressionable young fellow that elderberry blossoms made a tasty pancake. He elected to try it for his Father-In Law to be. He set the blossoms in the poured batter. Needless to say, he then had trouble cooking the other side of the pancake. He was embarrassed, and irritated because he was embarassed. Somehow, I suspect that the FIL to be just had something confirmed that he already suspected.

Hamish
03-25-2012, 12:45 AM
ACBCS!! Don't forget fella's, it's MOREL time. Need I say more?